“Great hotel ”

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
London
“Great hotel ”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We got a bargain of a deal... Two nights for roughly £75 through Hotwire.

The hotel was better than expected.

Our room was a good size and a nice bathroom with big bath towels.

The room was a bit dated and the pillows not the best. I usually take my own but hadn't this time.

House keeping was good and all staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful... Would give them 5 stars.

We used the bar in the hotel... This was too expensive and food prices a lot for what you got.

Parking was £10 for over night.

Would stay again as it's location is great for Gatwick.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bruno D, General Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for posting your positive comments about your experience at the Arora Gatwick Crawley Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our facilities, rooms and location to your liking.

On a future visit to Crawley, I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Bruno Delrieux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked this last minute travelling south down the Motorway. Our flight left from Gatwick the following morning and the Arora Hotel was a perfect nearby location.
The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and most accommodating from check-in right through to helping us with internet access and printing. Parking was not an issue for our rental car.
Our room was on the fifth floor and the lifts were efficient and offered a spectacular view of the lobby and surrounds. Our room was clean, well-appointed and spacious enough for us to sort ourselves out after weeks of travelling and prepare for the next leg of our trip. The bathroom facilities were excellent and the provision of an iron appreciated. Our bed was comfy too and we slept really well, even though our room overlooked the train line, so no complaints from us.
We dined in the Grill restaurant, enjoyed our meal and found it reasonably priced for a hotel.
Checkout was handled efficiently and we made our way to Gatwick airport in good time. Will stay here again if in the vicinity.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wokabaut_meri
Dear Guest,

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. We are pleased that you found our staff the be very friendly and helpful.

On a future visit to Crawley, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Carmarthen West Wales
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in hotel for one night, great for Gatwick Airport.
Lovely comfortable bed in room
Felt very relaxed before we flew out to Dubrovnik the following day.
Great value for money !'
The pub in hotel was ok but poor selection of food with no choice for vegetarians. But would have been good to have had more sandwich choices as well.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Suetonyking
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us.
We are pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay with us before your flight and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel before your next holiday.

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was booked in a premier room, which included free internet and breakfast. I payed only 72 pounds for a night. The location is very good not far away from Gatwick and easy to access with cheap community train every half hour. With this train you can continue to Victoria station. The room was very nice and clean (the only negative thing was a broadloom, which obviously is mandatory in UK). The bed was very convenient. You had the opportunity to iron, boil water for coffee or tea, use a refigerator, watch TV (hundreds of channels) sitting in a convenient armchair, bath in a separate bathtub, shower (a bath rob was waiting for you on the bed), work at a writing table. I did no miss anything. I had problems with my internet but was immediately helped, very good service. In total a very good experience with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bengt A
Dear Guest,

It was with great pleasure that we read your review. We am delighted to hear that you had a enjoyable stay and found all our facilities to your liking. Indeed our central location is extremely popular with our guests in terms of ease of access via travel links, as well as guests being able to get out and about on foot to explore all what Crawley has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, before your next flight.

London
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We chose to stay here for one night before we flew out of Gatwick the following morning. The price was competitive, and the rooms looked acceptable for one night. Once inside reception looked inviting, there was a vast space to sit and relax. Check in was easy, and the staff pleasant. We were asked if wanted to book a shuttle bus to take up to Gatwick. We did and was told by reception that they run at quarter to and quarter past the hour.

Our room was spacious, albeit still stuck in the 90s in terms of decor. The bathroom was of a good size, complete with a shower. The bed would have benefited with a new mattress, it was lumpy and the springs would twang when you turned over.

We decided to walk into town which takes a little less than 10 minutes. We ate in a lovely restaurant (see my separate review). We decided to have a nightcap in the hotel pub. I know hotel bar prices are inflated, but this hotel is far from a 4/5 star. But was flabbergasted at the price of 2 beers and a gin and tonic. I wouldn't mind, but the selection of drinks were poor, the surrounds tatty and uninviting and after drinking 2/3s of my beer, I noticed some black pieces in the glass. Needless to say our nightcap, was literally that and we retired to our rooms rather quickly.

When we arrived back from our holiday, I was previously told by the chap that dropped us off to call once we were in baggage claim to arrange our return drop. I did this, and was told if I hurry up I could get the bus. As 2 of our party were still waiting for their luggage this proved impossible. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 38 mins past the hour. I said we'll wait for the quarter past. I was told rather abruptly that there wasn't such a thing, and I would have to wait an hour for the next one. We instead decided to call a taxi, which proved to be a lot more expensive than the shuttle bus. I was annoyed, I was clearly misinformed at some point with regards to the shuttle bus times. And one of the reasons we decided to stay at Arora was because of the shuttle bus service.

Would we return? Let's just say it wouldn't be top of my list. It is fully serviceable for one night, but the niggles has put me off.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SoulfulMinx
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. Guest feedback enables us to continually review our service delivery and standards and make changes wherever possible.

We must apologise for the level of service you received, if you would like to discuss this with our Front Office Manager please call the hotel on 01293 530000.
We hope this has not deterred you from using our facilities in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to Arora Gatwick.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is nice enough - the staff were helpful and pleasant - the location is fine, although I would specify a room on the opposite side from the railroad track.

I found the wifi policy irritating - the hotel allows wifi access for just one device per room. Really? Between my travel companion and me we had 6 devices: computers, phones, iPads. And the policy isn't just one device at a time, it's one device per 24 hours. Fair enough, after going to the desk and asking for more access they gave me a user ID and password for an additional device - but in my seven day stay I had to keep going to the desk for more user IDs - and same thing, each user ID worked only on one device, not one device at a time. On top of that, the system kept logging me off with even just half an hour or so of idle time - meaning find the little slip of paper and go through the whole tiresome logon procedure over (and over) again. And when the 24 hours was up, it was up - bang off line with no warning. Take away one star.

Secondly (and less onerous and not surprising to be sure given the marginal nature of English cooking in general), the food in the pub is expensive and not very good. I had a chicken dish "special" and I swear the chicken was boiled. It tasted like wet chicken feathers. I doctored it up with vinegar and brown sauce and managed to get it down. Take away another star.

In contrast The Grill was nice - spendy, but then what hotel restaurant fine dining isn't? Found some decent and moderately priced restaurants around the town but none reaching the level of The Grill in terms of "fine dining."

Room Tip: Pick the side opposite the railway line.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JOHN D
Bruno D, General Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate guest feedback as it assists us in continually improving our service.
In relation to the WIFI, we offer free limited bandwith WIFI which is usually sufficient to browse, check and send emails for one device; however we have recently introduced the option of connecting to a second device free on the same basis. Should any guest require additional bandwidth we also offer a few high speed chargeable options.

We were disappointed to read about your mixed opinion towards our F&B outlets. Your feedback has been passed onto our F&B Manager to investigate.
We hop this has not deter you from staying with us again and we look welcome you back again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is nice, worth its 4 stars : the service is good, the room is large with all services you can expect (room service, shower and bath, free wifi...).

The decoration of rooms is ok, but not very trendy. There is a big hall which is nicely decorated and quiet, where you can enjoy a drink or a snack. You have two restaurants, a pub with simple food, an Italian restaurant, more expensive but still affordable with a nice atmosphere, and a snack, where you can have small meals for 6-13 pounds. (draughts beers are cheap for apt his kind of hotel, count about 2.50 pounds). If you have a good deal, it is definitevely a good place (from 60 to 90 pounds excl. breakfast). A shame is that the spa was closed at the time of my stay. The only "minus" point is the shuttle to the airport at an early tome : from 4.35, every hour. (would be better every 30 minutes). There is a direct access from the train station (crawley) which is convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JulieLND
Dear Guest,

Guest feedback is very important to us, so I thank you for posting your review following your stay. I was pleased to hear that on the whole you had a pleasant stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back.