“Great hotel with stealthy charges and poor gym facilities”

Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
“Great hotel with stealthy charges and poor gym facilities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Overall the hotel was fine however 16.95 for a breakfast was more than excessive. Then to be charged £10 a night for parking as we were leaving having been told nothing of the charge was disgusting. When trying to use the gym facilities The "steam room" smelt like a public toilet and would have worked better had the steam come from one of the tiny kettles in the room, disappointed and feeling dirty from the flies and smell I tried the sauna only to find that it was unable to heat above 30 degrees. The jacuzzi would surely cure the disappointment but no... this was recently removed. Thankfully that was my last stay there.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Martin M
Bruno D, General Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to read that your stay was not satisfactory.
We would like to confirm that our breakfast prices start from £12.95 and are in line with our competition market. As per your comment about parking, we do charge parking for our Hotel guests and the charges are displayed in our car park and also on our website. We have noted your comments regarding our steam room and have passed on to our Health Club Manager.
We do hope you will provide us with another opportunity to regain your confidence with us.

Bruno Delrieux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Banbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Staying at the hotel with early departure early next morning not a good idea if travelling the Sunday. Wedding being held, music loud even on fifth floor. Very disturbing and very disappointing. Can cope with the odd train going by, but constant thumping music and loud guests not good. Wouldn't recommend. Not a good start to our holiday.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank GlenPritchard
Bruno D, General Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations to the full; please accept our apologies for the issues you encountered. The team will be given visibility of your feedback. Although we can see your disappointment on this occasion, we would hope sometime in the future you may have a change of heart and come visit us again, to enjoy an overall positive experience like those guests who have previously posted reviews on Trip advisor.

St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

As we live in Cornwall and were travelling to Athens from Gatwick, we decided to use a hotel near the airport to park while we were away and then stay overnight after our holiday before driving home again.
The Arora was superb right from the start. The directions were excellent, meaning we found it easily. Parking was really straight forward and it was great to park the car ourselves rather than hoping someone else would look after it.
Checking in was quick and efficient and the lady from the reception desk who showed us the way to the gate to the railway station was extremely friendly and chatty.
When we came home, fairly late at night, it was so easy catching the train back to the hotel from Gatwick Airport. Checking in for the room was again quick and efficient.
The rooms are very comfortable, airy and bright, and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. The entrance to the hotel looks very clean and modern but welcoming at the same time.
Overall, we were delighted with our experience at the Arora Hotel and as we often fly to Athens, will definately use this hotel again.
Well done to the whole team!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have great views of the countryside.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted to hear that all the services you experienced during your stay with us were excellent. Your comments will be passed on to our team members which will serve as an encouragement to keep delivering the excellent service that we pride ourselves on.
We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was really impressed with the Arora Hotel.We stayed there recently before we went to America. Check in was quick, the staff were helpful and the rooms we booked were a good size. We walked into Crawley town center to eat in the evening, so I don't know what the restaurant was like but looked good. We were leaving our car there for two weeks.The car park is underground and this was good as there was a barrier and your car won't get cooked in the sun as it would in an open air car park.The train to the airport was ok but would probably get the transfer or a taxi when we stay again as it was a bit of a pain to lug your suitcases down to the platform and up and down the stairs to the other side. The train was only £2.40 each to Gatwick. i would definitely use this hotel again and would recommend it.

1 Thank Catherine C
Dear Guests,

We thank you for posting your positive comments about your experience at the Arora Gatwick Crawley Hotel.
We are delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and were pleased to hear that you found your room, facilities and parking package to your liking.
We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel is dated and the beds are hard and seem to sink in! The chair in the room the same! I would try somewhere else in the future. The picture is deceiving. No pool here! Staff just pacifies you when you raise a concern. Very demeening. Would not stay here again.

3 Thank Marion S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are disappointed to read your review and can only apologise for the poor impression you have from your stay with us.

Should you wish to discuss any element of your stay in more detail then please do contact me directly at the hotel.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently stayed at this Hotel and have to say it is a very smart Hotel with excellent rooms, parking facilities etc and has the potential to be a great Hotel!
However.... the staff are unfriendly, unwelcoming and completely uninterested in the Guests and Customer Service!
I was so disappointed, on arrival I was stood waiting for nearly fifteen minutes before someone came to check me in and then the receptionist that checked me in was absolutely awful... her name was Zaiga. Extremely miserable, unhelpful, unwelcoming and just rude!
In the bar areas the service is very slow and I was often (along with others) stood waiting at the bar for service for ten minutes or more every time!
Such a shame as first impressions when I walked in were "what a smart place", it all went rapidly down hill from there. The staff and the service make a great Hotel and in both these areas this Hotel certainly lacks and needs addressing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank HomeFarmCheshire
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. In particular, we are disappointed to read your comment regarding your experience at Reception. The team are all fully trained to deliver a high quality service to all of our guests and we do normally receive great feedback on their helpfulness and friendliness. We are sorry that this did not appear to shine through on this occasion and you have my assurance that the team have been given visibility of comments.

I would hope that sometime in the future you may provide us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

Crawley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was asked for my credit card number for booking. At the time of checkout I have cleared all the amounts but still to get the amount refunded which were blocked by Arora staff. Its being more that 15 days I am waiting for the refund. The amont is 300GBP.

Again on my second stay they suppose to refund me 50GBP during my checkout settelment. They again asked for my card for refund and you won't believe instead of refund 60GBP again charged against my card. That amount also I am waiting for the refund.

The account team is very miss managed here. Upon sending e-mail for my refund I am only getting reply that I should have got my money refunded. Which doesn't make sense any way. I afraid , I may loose my money.

Very Very bad experience with this Hotel......... Please be carefull.

1 Thank Biswajit S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your review.
I am led to believe that you have been in touch with the Hotel directly and they have informed you that the funds held on your account are pre authorisation and not a charge. Normally, pre authorisations made on debit cards can take up to 2 weeks to be released depending upon the banks.
Please do contact us directly at the Hotel if you require any further assistance and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.