“don't eat evening meal here”

Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked this hotel for one night for work with my partner via a web site, B and B, for a reasonable price executive double room. I was concerned when I arrived to see car parking for one night was charged at £10. as I was having to pay out and claim back, I didn't want to find hidden charges. I did question this at reception and they said they would look into it - the charge was waived.

We went to use the pool to find there wasn't one ( that could have been my mistake). The sauna burnt my feet on the bottom so if you plan to use it take shoes.

We then tried the steam room which was cold but discovered if you pressed the red button the steam could turn on, however while it was getting luke warm, I couldn't wait an hour for it to heat up sufficiently.

Don't book this hotel for the leisure facilities it simply isn't worth it.

We then got ready for dinner and decided to eat in the pub rather than the restaurant and we ordered at 20.02 a burger and the chicken strips with side order of garlic bread. at around 20.45 the nice bar man noticed me checking my watch and asked if we had eaten when I replied no he said he would chase it up.

A young girl then advised 5 minutes however setting the count down alarm on my phone showed it was 10. when the food arrived the cremated garlic bread was sent back to be replaced by a luke warm effort. We were presented with food just after 21.00.

The chicken strips were 3 dried up overcooked chewy nuggets, but as I had been on the go since 04.30 I just ate what I needed to fill a gap.

We were offered 50%of the bill and given cash back to 50% of the 2 main courses - I couldn't be bothered to argue further.

We then headed up to the room. but not without stopping at reception.

I spoke with the manager and he said as we had accepted cash back he couldn't do anymore ( it was then when he confirmed the car park charge was waived.) he did offer me free wi fi but we already had this although it was slow and i wasn't in the mood for playing on my computer.

All the reception staff were friendly and helpful.

So off to bed - well the mattress was not the most comfy, nor were the pillows. Only one glass in the room for us to share, still there were 2 cups so thats a bonus. In the morning I decided to make coffee - this was very limited in that for 2 people we had 3 sachets of coffee 3 milk and 2 tea bags thank goodness we didn't have coffee the night before too - No biscuits either! not even cheap nasty ones. If this is executive what will standard rooms provide ???

One bottle of shampoo and shower gel in the room, however I always take my own which is just as well, as it was not provided in the changing rooms for the gym etc. Nor are towels - you need to take the one from your room ( the one each which is provided).

The manager did offer me a good deal if I wished to return but considering how many hotels and B and B there are around Gatwick ( and I have stayed in quite a few as i travel there often) I think perhaps no to the Arora in the future.

On a positive note the breakfast was decent. Plenty of choice and edible, obviously a different cook than the one the previous night.

The sitting area in main lobby looked nice, but we didn't use it.

Room Tip: if ours was executive I don't think I would like the standard
2  Thank Michelle C
Bruno D, General Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.
We would again like to apologies for the shortcomings you faced during your stay. As discussed with our F&B Manager, we would hope you would provide us with one last opportunity to regain your faith with us.
Please do contact our F&B Manager whenever you wish to return to our Hotel and we will ensure you have a great stay.

There are newer reviews for Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hotel looks great from the outside and also once you enter. The issue began once I got into my room.
I immediately ordered room service - a chicken burger ( advertised with caramelised onions and salsa mayonnaise). I waited approx 40 minutes to be delivered a bun, with 3 overcooked chicken nuggets, RAW ONIONS and no evidence of any salsa whatsoever. I complained and was told they were very sorry and could they replace the order. ... It would take 30 mins ! It actually took another 40 mins. Once it arrived , it was a chicken fillet, not a burger, with more RAW ONIONS and still no salsa ....

I then tried to use the built in iron and ironing board........ But the iron didn't work. I called reception to ask if someone could help ......... SOME TIME LATER...... A man arrived to agree that it was broken. I asked if they had a normal iron and ironing board and he said he would get me one ..... Which he did .....SOME TIME LATER. Once it was delivered I was astounded to see that the plug was almost falling apart .....totally dangerous !

The hotel is a nice hotel, but is run so poorly it is incredible.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
2  Thank Simon W

Dear Guest,

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and we thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

It goes without any doubt to say we are very disappointed after reading your review and It would be most helpful if you could contact our F&B Manager on Miguelduartesilva@excelhospitality.co.uk with your contact details so we can discuss this matter in detail.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just returned from UK, stayed for 3 nights in Arora in Crawley again. What I really enjoyed this time, is the staff of the hotel. At the reception, even if it's very busy, agents are very helpfull, took their time explaining directions, offered map, provided with all pertinent information -with the smile! I didn't catch the names, but the receptionist manager- Italian guy, and Adelle(?) are real assets to this hotel! Also, at the bar and coffee bar I was impressed by server Maria, fast drinks, professional attitude, friendliness-BRAVO!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mila777

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review from your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you had a good stay at the Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley and that you found our staff to be helpful. We will definitely share your feedbacks with all our team members which will definitely motivate them to keep up the standards.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel to find parking a bit of a nightmare but get ho! Check in seemed to take ages! I had booked the "executive" room but am fairly sure I only got a twin though the receptionist said she just typed twin room onto the check in form to make sure I had two beds!

I was traveling with a client from work so needed two beds!

The room itself was very clean but a bit tired but I didn't mind too much as it was very clean and well presented!

We ordered room service at 1930 and it eventually arrived at 2300!! After making several calls to the restaurant. The burger my friend ordered was raw. I had chicken which was totally dry and over cooked!

I complained and the meal was removed from my bill

The stay was ok I wouldn't really want to stay again but if I had to at least I know to expect a rather bland service!

Oh the on site shop sold me rotten food do I would def steer clear of that

Very clean hotel needs a facelift avoid room service, the shop and the surly receptionists. For business ok but for fun no thank-you.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Richandtoby

Dear Guest,

We are extremely disappointed to hear that your stay was not to your satisfaction - please accept our apologies for the shortcomings you experienced. Your candid comments are however appreciated, as such feedback allows us to monitor our performance and take action to ensure that our expected high standards are continually being met.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future and will ensure everything goes to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business and couldn't fault it. Service, food and cleanliness standards faultless. Rooms were spacious and well equipped. Nice hotel in a convenient location for Gatwick airport. Would choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank JoScott

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip advisor following your stay with us. Guest feedback is extremely important to us, so I therefore thank you for sharing your experience.
We will of course pass your comments onto our team members as this will serve as an encouragement to keep delivering the high levels of service we pride ourselves on.
I was delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay and on a future visit to Crawley, we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Overall this is a nice hotel. 30 min train ride tolondon or Brighton and close to the airport. Staff is reasoby friendly. The hotel is clean but I've recently heard rumours of bed bugs. The beds are EXTREMELY uncomfortable and I would bet have not been replaced in some time. It's like sleeping in a hammock that keep closing in all around you. Absolutely NO support.
I do like this hotel, but they MUST do somethjng about these horrible beds!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Playfair1
Bruno D, General Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of our hotel with Trip Advisor
We can confirm that we have not had any Bed bugs history issues in our Hotel. As an organisation we do approach any bed bugs allegations very seriously. Any allegation of affected rooms would closed for access, then professionally inspected by our pest control, external company and treated accordingly if necessary.
All our House keeping team have been trained to recognised bugs in case off any alert.
Please do contact us directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss your feedback in detail.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Internet is ridiculously slow and if you order any food, be prepared to wait well over an hour. Good links to the airport but there are much nicer hotels at a similar price within 15 mins of Gatwick and Crawley

1  Thank Jennifer P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.
We are really disappointed to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. We would like to confirm that we do offer chargeable high speed internet to our guests who prefer to watch videos or need faster connections. As per your comment regarding the food service, we would appreciate if you could contact our F&B Manager on MiguelDuarteSilva@arorainternational.com.