“Decent enough room, diabolical service”

Ibis London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Positives: dood location near Gatwick airport, room was reasonably clean and all things considered the room itself was good enough for the money.

However in my opinion these positives were badly let down and in fact overshadowed by the hotel reception staff, on several levels.
First, it annoyed me that their level of English was... poor...and that's being generous. I found that strange staying in a hotel in England.
Second, and far more serious in my opinion: I had just arrived in my room, ready to take a shower, heard people's voices on the corridor. I thought: maybe the staff had forgotten to tell me something or I had forgotten something at the reception desk. The next second I hear people entering my room. I was really shocked to see a couple (who were equally shocked) entering my room!

It turned out the receptionist had given them a key to my (!) room. Alright, everybody can make mistakes, but this was totally unacceptable in my opinion. Suppose I had not been inside when they entered. They could have taken my wallet, cash, passport, credit cards, just about everything. There would have been no signs of a break in since they had been given the key. And even though I was inside, travelling on my own, 2 totals strangers entering my room... If they had had bad intentions, anything could have happened.

I could have coped with a not very clean room, or an uncomfortable bed, or whatever.

Strangers not being given access to your room is the very least you can expect from any hotel, regardless how cheap it is.

About 15 minutes later I received a call from the receptionist. She said she was very sorry and that it would not happen again. My confidence in her had dropped a tiny bit to be honest. I told her I was very unhappy about the situation, and I asked whether I could store my valuable belongings in a safe, in a locker or in a safe place.
Unfortunately she did not understand the meaning of the word 'safe'. I was on holiday in England for crying out loud! I tried to describe and explain what I meant, using other words, but it did not help. After she said she was very sorry for the 7th time, I ended the conversation.

An hour later I went downstairs, the receptionist tried to attract my attention. I thought: ah, she'll offer me a free beer because of what happened. No, again she said was very sorry.
I went back upstairs. My room key did not work anymore... Great. Went back to the reception. She was adamant I had kept my room key close to my mobile, which according to her had caused the key to stop working which was not the case. Anyway she reset my key eventually, and I got to bed.

Did not have the greatest of night because of the noise from other rooms. Compared to the three star Ibis hotel in Brighton I stayed the nights before, the sound proofing was nowhere near as good. Never mind, it's a budget hotel.

6AM next morning, loud knocking on my door. Still being in bed I shouted: "yes"? No answer. Two minutes later: people banging my door again. I looked through the peephole. Two pesky kids knocking on everyone's doors...
Not the hotel's fault I admit. Not a great end to a not particularly pleasant stay either.

Mainly because of the staff at Ibis Gatwick, next time I will book an afternoon return flight from London Gatwick Airport instead of one in the morning and stay at Ibis Brighton instead, where I had stayed the three nights before incidentally and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HvdB19
ibis1889, General Manager at Ibis London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the ibis London Gatwick Airport, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We are currently investigating your claim and I invite you to contact us on h1889-fo1@accor.com to discuss this claim further.

We apologize again for the experience encountered and can assure you that it does not reflect the normal high standards of service we provide.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the ibis London Gatwick Airport and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel just for a one night stopover at what we considered a very competitive rate of £51 for a twin bedded room only.
We found the hotel very comfortable and clean through-out. There was a small bar which doubled As a cafe/breakfast room complete with a large screen TV. The bed room was spacious and had all that was needed, especially the tea/coffee making facility, wall mounted flat screen TV and Internet keyboard. The bathroom was exceptional with a very large walk in shower complete with toiletries, loo and washbasin.
We were very pleased with the hotel and our only gripes were the fact that there is a £5 overnight parking charge and the breakfast charge of £8.99 for the full English. The choices available were quite good although the 'hot' food was not all that hot. A better food warmer would improve this.
The hotel is within about ten minutes drive to London Gatwick and the hotel does provide a shuttle service to the airport at a charge of £3 per person.
We found the staff very helpful and courteous and we have no complaints save the points made above. We would recommend this hotel , especially at the rate that we paid, and certainly have no problems staying there again in the future.

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at ibis London Gatwick Airport. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is one of those "it does what it says on the tin" hotels, its clean, comfy and all you need for a short stay. We stayed here after flying in from belfast before we flew to Egypt and then also on the return journey, check in was quick and easy, and the rooms are very clean with a really cool pod bathroom! The only one thing i would say was that when we stayed on thurs 3rd oct the hotel was like a sauna!!! the aircon doesnt seem to work in the rooms which is a shame as the little window didnt cut it! but all in all its a fair hotel, with a great price tag.

Dear guest,

I passed on your comments regarding our air cooling to my Maintenance engineer for future improvement.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Checked in at 11PM for an overnight. The hotel transportation airport return for 2 was 12 GBP. Last morning bus for airport or train station was 10:30 AM. The room was small with just the very basic amenities. An open window brought in the jet aircraft noise. A fan only brought in warm air.
The breakfast buffet in the morning was not very good. (the Heathrow IBIS is like day and night. The food there is great at half the room rate!) The scrambled eggs at Gatwick were hard and overcooked. The dining room is in the lobby! There was a large TV blaring a TV program with families fighting a la Gerry Springer British version. Gatwick Ibis price 106.90 GBP vs. Heathrow Ibis (an excellent hotel) price 63 GBP. That's if you book at the last minute. I would not stay at the Gatwick hotel again but I would stay at the Ibis Heathrow airport.

Dear guest,

I passed on your comments regarding our breakfast quality to my Food and Beverage Manager for future improvement.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a really great low cost hotel if you need to stay in transit to fly out early the next day.
The cleanliness is amazing. My room was very comfortable and almost like new.
For tourists who want to just spend their days rather than nights in London this would serve as a good base. The low cost and the daily travel card from Gatwick would still be much cheaper than the very expensive hotels in London, just a thought.
There is a bus stop just across the road from the hotel 2 pounds to Gatwick.

Room Tip: Very good transit hotel but maybe even a low cost base. Ask for a room at the back as there is road...