Da Vinci Manor Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$208
  • Pool
US$175
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Ibis London Gatwick Airport(Crawley)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$97
ibis
  • Restaurant
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley(Crawley)(Great Value!)
US$106
Agoda.com
US$131
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewsnice guesthouseon site car parkattending a wedding nearbywhere breakfast is servedgatwick airportb bshome away from homelounge areafull english breakfastcrawley towntea and coffeeplenty of hot waterexcellent breakfastcomfy beddouble roomself servicegino
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2011

From the first contact my telephone to arriving and then staying, the treatment was criminal. I called to enquire about their prices as I had seen availability on Late Rooms and I was told "How much had I seen the prices for?" I mentioned that I wasn't sure and I was quoted a price of £35 when they were advertised on the internet for £27 for one single room. On arrival I signed-in and there was no mention of breakfast time. I was shown the room which is the only guesthouse I have ever known to have bed linen more apt for a 5 year old than an adult and didn't match at all in a damp, dirty room. The mattress was not even solid. An hour later, a girl banged on the door to tell me that breakfast had to be at 8 am as they were going to church! I explained that I was working and needed to rest. The next morning they banged on my door at 8.30 am and again at 8.45 shouting through the door. I WAS TOTALLY HORRIFIED!!! This place needs to be closed down - people like this should not be allowed to run a business.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank mariam70
Reviewed 12 February 2011

We had booked this guest house for an overnight stay on our way to Cuba. On arrival at 4.15 that afternoon ( a very cold and damp day )we were requested to pay for our stay in cash,although the room had been reserved with a credit card ?? we were shown to our room and informed that the heating would come on at 5 o'clock, after leaving to find an ATM machine to draw cash we just could not face staying the night so returned and cancelled our stay. Guess what the credit card machine worked so £95 for a bad experience !!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank orchid1489
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Booked in at last minute with wife and 3 daughters, (only checked the da vinci's own reviews not tripadvisors).
On arriving the kids said it was like a haunted house. Agree with everything said already regarding the general air of depression and unkemptness.
Like an idiot I jollied everyone along, paid the £228 and then saw the rooms.
Black slime on the window frames, thick dust on every surface it could cling to; the kids toilet wouldn't flush without the aid of the waste bin filled with water.

We immediately decided to leave and I asked for my money back. Unfortunately the strange lady in charge wasn't allowed to deal with refunds and after a stressful and aggressive phone conversation with the owner he promised to arrange a refund.

I'm pleased to say that the money was refunded some days later so fair play in that respect. However, this place is an absolute disgrace and if it meets even the minimum legal standards required then the standards are wrong.

I haven't marked for service or sleep quality as I didn't stay long enough to try them.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank scrutonsmog
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I stayed at Da Vinci in September the night before my long haul flight, and the night after. Whilst I'd agree with some of the other reviews regarding cleanliness, it really wasn't that bad!

*The rooms were basic - ensuite, clean, old fashioned but all I needed was somewhere to sleep so I had no complaints on that front. The only thing was there were a few cobwebs and a spider in the corner!

*I found the staff very pleasant. I arrived really late and also required transfers to the airport (included in price) at unsociable times. The staff were punctual and came to pick me up within about 15 minutes of me placing the call.

*I stayed there for a couple of nights and left my car all week for about £80! My car was fine just how I left it when I got back.

So yeah, whilst I wouldn't stay there for a holiday, if all you're looking for is somewhere safe to leave your car and a comfortable place to sleep for a couple of nights I'd say ignore the horror stories and go for it. I'd definitely use it again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank starGstarstar
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We booked through LR.com and referred back to the guest house website for further details which told us that the transfers to and from Gatwick were free. when we booked in we were then told that they would charge us £8 for the transfer to the airport and we would have to get a taxi back because LR.com took a commission and that was their way of recouping it!

Now the rest.....The landing was a death trap with bits of rugs scattered around to keep the wear in the carpet, and in an area of about 4 sq. meters there were three chairs, a table, two irons and enough plastic flowers to kit out a manikin mausoleum.

Plastic flowers................never seen so many.... their grandad must have had a factory.... all dusty and dirty............17 bunches in the conservatory??..... 20 odd in the dining room (loose description).......and a bunch in every nook and cranny.

Our accommodation........well.......... I did not realise that you could buy an instrument of torture that looked like a bed, never seen one before, but it done the job alright. kept us awake all night and it made it extremely difficult to walk in a straight line the following day. Had to be careful at the airport as I was walking in a way that looked as if I had narcotics concealed in my body.

The room was full of cobwebs and the windows were full of black mildew and once opened we had trouble closing them again.

Toilet would not flush so I took he lid off to check and put it back on quickly as it revealed a black and slimy health hazard.

The shower was so small that when I got in there I couldn't raise my arms.

Breakfast was straight out of Sainsburys budget range.

The guest house information is million miles away from the actual facilities on offer.

We also had to suffer this place on our return from holiday.

The room we were given on our return was even worse than the first one. The room contained three beds; one single, one double and another one that we slept in that had a pull out shelf with a mattress on. The bedding was at best budget range and was ill fitting. The shower was attached to a plank screwed to the wall over the bath and spewed out water that would either freeze you or remove the top 4 layers of your skin.

The view from the window was a washing line, broken table on the patio and matey boys work mate standing ready for the next disaster project.

Our piece to resistance was a large colony of ladybirds that were gathered in the corner of the window, inside, and above our heads as we tossed in restless slumber.

An absolute disgrace.