I booked this place because I saw some good reviews and because it looked adorable in the pictures. I spent about 2 hours trying to get to this place by train from the last place I booked in North London, carrying my luggage from my 2 week trip the whole way, and when I arrived it was NOT at all what I was expecting. It's on a farm so there were chickens just wandering around on the property, which might be charming if it didn't look so dumpy. There is random garbage everywhere outside.
I went inside and was greeted by a musty smell, which thankfully was only in the porch area. The lady greeting me was nice enough, but she let me know they couldn't find my reservation, didn't have any of my credit card information, and I *hadn't* already been charged a 50% deposit, as my Expedia booking stated. (I checked my credit card statement, and she was correct.) This didn't make for a great impression as I had booked this room months ago and was told I paid 50% already. So I had to spend another £40 that I didn't think I would have to. I had spoken to someone on the phone quite a few times in the couple of days prior to coming, they could have let me know at that point.
I paid her the money for the two nights, which was a big mistake. I have to say the inside looked OK, except that up near my room didn't look like a professional B&B, as they had mattresses and things stuffed wherever they could fit it. And they had a guy in a room that was literally right next to the front desk and shares a wall with the lounge, so as I was talking to her she had to keep asking me to be quiet. I would be ticked off if I got that room, it would be impossible not to be disturbed in there.
I went to wander around outside the building, whereupon I saw a rat scurry into one of the sheds on the property. I went back upstairs to my room and seeing the horrible view outside my room and the overall fact that this place was not as advertised, I didn't feel at all comfortable staying there. I booked another hotel immediately on my mobile phone, gathered my things and told the lady I had chosen not to stay there.
I explained I would happily pay for one night since I didn't cancel. I used to work in hotels (albeit in Canada, not the UK) and where I worked, generally if you failed to cancel within the prescribed notice you would be on the hook for one night. But I wanted my money back for the second night. She refused, basically stating that Expedia bookings are non-refundable. Never mind the fact that apparently I didn't actually "book" anything, because THEY NEVER HAD MY RESERVATION. She hadn't received any form of payment or credit card information from me until 10 minutes earlier. I had the sense from her that she's probably had this discussion with more than one traveler who wanted to cancel their stay upon getting there.
Unfortunately I had had too long a day, between some other things and the awful journey getting to this place. I was not comfortable enough even to stay in there long enough to argue with her, so I let it go. But as far as I'm concerned this place owes me £40.
As I was getting into my cab to take me to the other hotel, I saw someone else get out of a taxi and the look on their face said they were thinking the exact same thing I thought upon seeing this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Da Vinci Guest House is situated in Crawley , which is only 15 minutes drive to and from London-Gatwick Airport and 5 minutes drive to and from Crawley Town Centre. There is a secure , on site car park, which is free for daily stays. We cater for short and long term accommodation . For further information for short and long term stays please phone us at any time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and LateRooms so you can book your Da Vinci Manor Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Da Vinci Manor Guest House (Gatwick) Hotel Crawley
- Da Vinci Manor Hotel
- Da Vinci Manor Guest House Crawley, West Sussex