“Big mistake booking this place”

Da Vinci Manor Guest House
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I booked this place because I saw some good reviews and because it looked adorable in the pictures. I spent about 2 hours trying to get to this place by train from the last place I booked in North London, carrying my luggage from my 2 week trip the whole way, and when I arrived it was NOT at all what I was expecting. It's on a farm so there were chickens just wandering around on the property, which might be charming if it didn't look so dumpy. There is random garbage everywhere outside.

I went inside and was greeted by a musty smell, which thankfully was only in the porch area. The lady greeting me was nice enough, but she let me know they couldn't find my reservation, didn't have any of my credit card information, and I *hadn't* already been charged a 50% deposit, as my Expedia booking stated. (I checked my credit card statement, and she was correct.) This didn't make for a great impression as I had booked this room months ago and was told I paid 50% already. So I had to spend another £40 that I didn't think I would have to. I had spoken to someone on the phone quite a few times in the couple of days prior to coming, they could have let me know at that point.

I paid her the money for the two nights, which was a big mistake. I have to say the inside looked OK, except that up near my room didn't look like a professional B&B, as they had mattresses and things stuffed wherever they could fit it. And they had a guy in a room that was literally right next to the front desk and shares a wall with the lounge, so as I was talking to her she had to keep asking me to be quiet. I would be ticked off if I got that room, it would be impossible not to be disturbed in there.

I went to wander around outside the building, whereupon I saw a rat scurry into one of the sheds on the property. I went back upstairs to my room and seeing the horrible view outside my room and the overall fact that this place was not as advertised, I didn't feel at all comfortable staying there. I booked another hotel immediately on my mobile phone, gathered my things and told the lady I had chosen not to stay there.

I explained I would happily pay for one night since I didn't cancel. I used to work in hotels (albeit in Canada, not the UK) and where I worked, generally if you failed to cancel within the prescribed notice you would be on the hook for one night. But I wanted my money back for the second night. She refused, basically stating that Expedia bookings are non-refundable. Never mind the fact that apparently I didn't actually "book" anything, because THEY NEVER HAD MY RESERVATION. She hadn't received any form of payment or credit card information from me until 10 minutes earlier. I had the sense from her that she's probably had this discussion with more than one traveler who wanted to cancel their stay upon getting there.

Unfortunately I had had too long a day, between some other things and the awful journey getting to this place. I was not comfortable enough even to stay in there long enough to argue with her, so I let it go. But as far as I'm concerned this place owes me £40.

As I was getting into my cab to take me to the other hotel, I saw someone else get out of a taxi and the look on their face said they were thinking the exact same thing I thought upon seeing this place.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank mellinah
There are newer reviews for Da Vinci Manor Guest House

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at the Da Vinci for 2 nights and found the welcome very warm the breakfast yummy and our room clean and tidy with lovely fluffy white towels. Yes the outside area could do with a bit of a tidy but they suffered badly in the floods earlier this year and it is steadily being done. It didn't stop us from sitting in the garden enjoying a glass of wine. In my view it's great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

How on earth can any honest reviewer give this Guest House 5 out of 5?

It would be wrong of me to give just 1 out of 5 because that is listed as 'Terrible' - which, in all honesty, it isn't - just very poor. This is sad because, as others have also noted, with some work and investment it could be a great place.

Having read the very mixed reviews before we booked we were not expecting the Ritz, but not Bates Motel either (which it isn't). We expected an average, cheap B&B - reflecting the 3 out of 5 rating shown. Despite reservations we booked it for one night anyway.

As far as I know, the Guest House has no proper 'Star' rating from any recognised association. So the 3 out of 5 is just the average rating of the ratings entered here.

As I have titled this review - unbelievable! Looking through the reviews available, now armed with the experience of actually staying there, I strongly suspect that at least some of the 5 out of 5 ratings are not genuine. Our experience most closely matched those who rated it as 1 or 2 out of 5.

The entire exterior surrounding area was covered in rubbish of all descriptions, from overflowing bins to an old, abandoned caravan, with mains extension cables trailing all over the place. We had half expected this from some reviews we read before booking so, in that sense, we were not disappointed. Going by those reviews, we expected things to improve when we got inside. They didn't!

Our bedroom and en-suite bathroom were basically clean and tidy - but the positive trend ended there. The reasonably large room held 3 beds, a double and two singles. The double was made up, but with only two pillows. Both singles were covered by duvets, but nothing else. There was no dressing table/desk and no chairs to sit on. The TV was in one corner of the room and to watch it from the bed you would need binoculars - it was so small and far away. We didn't try using it.

One of the beds was across what appeared to be a cupboard door, preventing opening it fully. On investigation, this appeared to the wardrobe - but it was completely filled with another (standing) single mattress and various bedding stuffed in beside it.

There were no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, but there was, at least, the obligatory Bible.

The en-suite was clean and basic, with a bath/shower toilet, washbasin and cupboard - and a 13A mains socket in one corner (for the use of Mr Bates and electric fire with a long cable?)

To get a cup of coffee we went down to the lounge and helped ourselves to the free coffee (and tea) available. The lounge doubles as the breakfast area too, having table seating for 12, TV and 3 piece suite.

We enjoyed our own entertainment chatting to another guest, comparing our impressions of the Guest House so far. It turned out he was a professional Health & Safety advisor. Enough said . . .

The lounge, and source of coffee, closes at 10pm so we returned to our bedroom to read and listen to music until bedtime. Lying on the bed with my MP3 player is when I discovered that the mattress was apparently made of wood. I have never known one so hard. This did not bode well for a good nights sleep.

And it wasn't! It was the worst night's sleep we have ever had - anywhere. I woke at 5am, unable to sleep longer and with a severe crick in the neck. Giving up, I gave my pillow to my wife and retired to the en- suite with my MP3 player and 'Kindle' to sit, for the next 3 hours, on the only 'seat' available. It was here that I discovered that the Guest House does have WiFi that sort of works, at least enough to download a few more books to my 'Kindle'

Getting up at 8am with a great sense of relief that the night was over, we got ready for breakfast at 8:30. Downstairs, there was no sign of anyone in reception or the breakfast room - but breakfast magically turned up at just gone 8:30. It was very basic, rather on the cool side but edible.

Will we stay again? Yes - but only after we've seen it on TV getting the Alex (Hotel Inspector) treatment!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Having read a few of these reviews I decided to book for 4 nights. I have uploaded pictures as these will say so much more. Communication of issues/problems with, WiFi - Poor or not working at all, Freeview TV Box - can't pick up ITV despite re-tuning it twice myself, Toilet - not fixed to the wall, Damp- on inner walls, unmade bed - after 1st, 2nd & 3rd nights, no automatic refreshment of used towels - after 1st, 2nd & 3rd nights, scratching noises from the attic - I hate to imagine..., Scrap dealers garden - direct vehicles, caravan, broken machinery various & other bric-a-bra ( possible health hazard. All of this is met with smiles and warmth but a complete failure to impliment any change or improvement. I wanted to cancel on seeing the "cottage" however this was denied as they said that they & the booking agent (Laterooms) need 72hrs notice in advance as the Da Vinci Guest House paid a commission based upon the total value of my stay to LR!! I can't be bothered to check this with LR, I have now moved out in after 3 nights and not got a refund for the 4th. Their 3 star rating is woefully over optimistic on any level, its a shame really as with a bit of hard work & investment it could be turned around, otherwise it will be as i've described, cheap for many reasons.

Room Tip: Nice & friendly people - ruined by their guest house.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2014

i stayed here before my holiday and after my holiday to save driving back late at night when i first arrived i had to double check i was at the right place it looked run down and tired went into the porch area witch had some old tatty sofas in it and an old lamp i went inside it was nice and clean to my surprise the lady was polite and asked me to wait in the breakfast room until my room was ready . i went to my room it was clean and tidy the same with the bathroom i then looked out of my window to see a garden full of rubbish a dirty old caravan old lawnmower and other rubbish .i booked my room with booking dot com it was a room with free parking up to sixteen days. this was not so she told me parking was not free after you have checked out she called someone called geano who let me park fr 8 days for 25 pounds i was not happy but i needed parking as i had to fly early i wont be staying there again and the breakfast was poor

Room Tip: close your eyes when you pull into the drive
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I love this place. Ok so it is not the Ritz but if you want the Ritz you can pay for that. Great value, very friendly place - Gino and family are so nice. It is like they are welcoming you into their home for the night! Standard of breakfast far exceeds what you are paying. I will always stay there when I need a bed near Gatwick.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I'm sorry just because i had to stay just 3 days, wish to had more time to spent there. Perfect place to relax, nice rooms, nice bed, very clean, the lounge is superb, is not so far to town center, nice area, very green, lot of trees. Friendly staff. I'l be back soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Gino118, Owner at Da Vinci Manor Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

I'm Very glad that you enjoyed staying at Da. Vinci Guest House. Hope you have a nice trip . See you soon.