“A Little Gem”

Ranked #2 of 17 Crawley B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A Little Gem”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed the night before our flight to Mexico. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly smiling receptionist who booked us in and then showed us to our room, which overlooked the lovely tendered gardens to the rear. Our room was more than adequate, tastefully decorated and a great on suite with a large walk in shower. We were given a menu for our evening meal and told the receptionist what time we would like to eat. We went down to the bar before dinner and relaxed with a couple of G&Ts. The meal was of a good standard and we enjoyed what we had, it was then back to the bar for a couple more G&Ts. As we were leaving very early in the morning we did not have the breakfast, and it was to early to eat anyway. On our return 15 days later we were met at the door and was offered tea and biscuits before setting off back to the Midlands. It was nice to sit on a comfortable settee for half an hour and unwind. We would definitely use Waterhall Country House again. Regards Nick & Marlene.
PS: To Jo W "Disappointing" we suggest you book some the bigger hotels next time and pay double the price.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back overlook the gardens and you might see the Deer
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hi. I had dinner there last Sunday with my family and friends. It is located down a winding country road between Charlwood and Crawley, with beautiful gardens, surrounded by lovely country side. The room was very clean, bright and comfortable and the staff made us all feel welcome and were very attentive. thank you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Surrey
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were very happy with this hotel for a short overnight stay. We chose this after looking at Travelodges nearby and as a price comparison, this is so much nicer than a generic, bland, office block chain hotel. Lovely rural location, beautiful grounds, ample parking. We paid £69 via booking.com and I immediately rang the hotel to request their most romantic room. You can see the styles of the 12 rooms on their website – great idea. We were allocated room 11 (room 4 was £10 more), but told that we would upgraded to room 4 if there was no booking for that room when we arrived. On check in we were told that we were in room 4 “as requested”. Nice touch. Room 4 is huge, withlovely styling overlooking the rear garden (34 acres). It has two massive sofas, a carved mahogany sleigh bed, huge footstool. Slight disappointment was no en-suite directly onto the room, however the bathroom (no shower) and WC were outside and there is a curtain to cut this suite off from the main corridor, so privacy assured. Bathroom and WC very small and basic (but clean and functional). However, this still represents great value for money!

We ate in the conservatory, good home-cooked English style food – steak pies, lamb shanks, casseroles etc. Not Cordon Bleu but perfectly in line with the 3* star rating. We paid £38 for drink and main course for 2. We did have a Fawlty Towers moment when were told we couldn’t sit where we chose, as that side of the restaurant is for breakfast! Strange, we wanted to sit alone rather than near others. The waitress was cheerful, knew the menu (and what was in the dishes) and checked we were happy.

Small things: one bedside lamp didn’t work, we didn’t bother to tell them, however we would expect that these are checked with room cleaning daily. Andy & Anne, please put chandeliers in this room, the ceiling hung drum shades with bare light bulbs don’t go with the gorgeous décor and sultry ambience, so both bedside lamps were really needed as there was only the stark overhead lights otherwise. We were also ‘accused’ that we bought two cars with us (they clearly check you in and out!) and that the 2nd car was £7.50 extra. I explained I had seen my booking confirmation said “parking (require booking)” so I emailed the day before to say we were in two cars, would this be OK? Despite not seeing or replying to this I was told we would still be charged. Fawlty Towers moment number 2. As it turned out this wasn’t on our bill, so they either saw the email and decided not to (I hope) or forgot!

On leaving Anne asked if we had a good stay, we did and said so. A good find, representing great VFM in a stunning rural location convenient for Gatwick.

Room Tip: Room 4 is suite-like with a dark, sultry ambience, two huge sofas. Beautiful pure tree view of garde...
1 Thank Groovytravellers
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

After reading some great reviews we decided to book Waterhall Country House Hotel especially as you can leave your car and they will look after it.

Upon check in and filling out forms we were asked to choose our dinner menu straight away while standing there. I found this rather odd as it was only 7.30 hardly late! I think they could have waited untill we had checked into our room and come back down for dinner. They had booked me a double room for my friend and I when we had booked a twin but they managed to give us a twin in the end. The lady who checked us in didn't seem overly welcoming if I am to be honest and told us we were on the first floor and to follow her. We looked at the very narrow and steep flight of stairs with our very large suitcases in horror. She did not offer any help with the cases and I had to jokingly ask for help by a man in the kitchen which I may believe was the owner. He did oblige and thankfully he carried our bags up to our room.

The room had beautiful views but that was about it. The room was very tired with chipped and badly scratched wallpaper. All very out of date and aweful colourful polycotton bed linen. Please invest in some plain white cotton bed linen it will make the rooms look so much more tasteful and clean looking.

Apart from one other couple we were the only other couple dining in the conservatory. The lady who waited on us was friendly and the meal was ok but I am sorry that is about it. The place seemed dead and we had to ring a bell at the bar for service the owner " I believe " said who was sitting talking to some people right next the bar. When no one came he eventually got up and served us some drinks. We felt awkward and in the way! Well it came to 10.15pm and cheery receptionist lady told us it was time for last orders as they were closing up so did we want another drink! Well talk about not feeling welcome! We decided not to as we felt we were keeping them up and so went up to our room. Honestly we would probably of had another 4 drinks each as it was the start of our holiday so you lost out on some revenue there.

We did not have breakfast as had to leave early for our flight but I am not sure we would have missed much. We were told on return that our car key would be in a box left under reception "unlocked" on our return. Is this safe!!!

When I returned I rang the bell and was greated by another lady I guess lady owner who said my name which I replied yes and she waived my car key at me. Asked me if I had a nice holiday and then promply retreated back inside leaving me standing on the door step, NICE!

I guess at the end of the day this is a B&B and maybe my expectations were a little high. I work in hospitality which I did inform cheery receptionist and I am used to giving 5* service to guests that I welcome where I work. My friend and I did not feel very welcome at all and really felt that we were in the way. It would have been a nice jesture to invite us in on our return journey which was late afternoon and see if we needed to use the facilites or offer us a drink which would generate you extra income! But no nothing like that was offered.

You have a lovely property which could be an outstanding venue due to its location and proximity to Gatwick but please look at your hospitality skills and decor of the hotel.

I am sorry but I would not stay here again and will not be recommending you due to feeling so unwelcome. Thank you again for carrying our luggage though and apologies for any noise we caused getting our luggage down on our own the next morning!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Jo W
Ann M, Owner at Waterhall Country House, Gatwick, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Apologies in this case would not be enough. A lot of assumptions have been made but really it is down to personal choice. I am the lady owner but not the lady that ‘waved’ your keys at you & I am very sorry that you didn’t like it here. Why are people so ‘verbal’ on sites such as these but afraid to speak direct to someone at the time?
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Superb Hosts, Superb Staff, Superb Rooms, Superb Food and Superb location what more can be said. Well where do I start ?
On arrival to the Country House we were welcomed with open arms. Check in was quick with very little formality this alone being a refreshing and welcome start to our albeit short stay. Having been shown to our room which had a lovely view of the rear gardens we soon settled in and felt at home. We decided to have a meal out in the evening (I hasten to add this was only to be able to take in some of the local scenery). The following morning breakfast of our choice was full English served piping hot and in ample size portions making us wonder if missing the previous evenings meal was a mistake (next time we stay it will be a must). Cleanliness is an obvious priority and the whole place sparkled like a new pin. Car parking was easy and the airport taxi arranged for us arrived promptly and for the expected price. Having arrived back to the Country House after our holiday a lovely pot of tea was made for us whilst we loaded the cases in to our car prior to the journey home.
A BIG thank you for making us so welcome we will (and already have) definitely be recommending you to family and friends.
As I stated at the beginning:
Superb Hosts, Superb Staff, Superb Rooms, Superb Food and Superb Location what more can be said.
Vince & Linda

1 Thank Vince H
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

arrived at hotel to book in to relax before our dream holiday only to be told we don't take children I said I booked on line with booking ,com myself and wife 1 room daughter and granddaughter in room 2 it all went through no problem .....apparently should have read small print no children ,booking made who reads small print if booking goes through .with my family and no where to stay not much help from hotel they still took £98 from me , ive since put in dates to book hotel and still no mention of no children so you have been warned
have asked for refund no chance" read small print"
so not happy and £98 out of pocket
mr s arthur

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Steve A
Ann M, Owner at Waterhall Country House, Gatwick, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello Mr. Arthur
I have copied & pasted this from the Booking.com website. It is on the front page

Policies of Waterhall Country House:
Children and extra beds
Children cannot be accommodated at the hotel.
There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
The Fine Print
No large parties are accepted. The Waterhall Country House regret that they cannot cater for children under 12 years of age.

We have never had anyone turn up with children from Booking.com before. I am also quite cross that you said we didn’t help. We found you a room at another hotel and gave you a map to get there. Yes we charged you for the rooms because we had done nothing wrong and you were outside of our cancellation policy.
Lancing, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very welcoming with a real homely feel to it. Food was delicious and perfect portion sizes.watching the deer in the garden while eating our Evening meal was perfect. Would definitely return. This is an ideal spot if you are flying from Gatwick, they will even look after your car for you while you're away.

1 Thank Natalie H