“Still Good!”

Sagorika
Ranked #194 of 271 Restaurants in Crawley
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Diwali is perhaps one of the most well-known of the Indian festivals: it is celebrated throughout India, as well as in Indian communities throughout the world. It is colloquially known as the "festival of lights"; for the common practice is to light small oil lamps (called diyas). The celebration of the festival is invariably accompanied by the exchange of sweets and the explosion of fireworks. As with other Indian festivals. Diwali is a festival where people from all age groups participate. They give expression to their happiness by lighting earthen 'diyas' (lamps), though the festival of Dipavali (Diwali) has undergone some changes, in due course of time, yet it has continued to be celebrated since the time immemorial. Every year, the festive season of Diwali comes back with all the excitement and merriment. Times may have undergone a sea change but customs and traditions remain the same. To live upto our name `Diwali' we endeavour to help our customers feel bright & festive when they dine at the restaurant `Diwali', so that the "festival of lights" surrounds their mind dine at time. At Diwali an expression of happiness is to light earthen 'diyas' (lamps), inviting near and dear ones together to their lovely restaurant for partaking in a sumptuous dinner. The lighting of lamps is a way of paying obeisance to god for attainment of health, wealth, knowledge, peace, velour and fame. In the midst of today's busy lifestyle, Diwali provides an opportunity to pause and be grateful for what we have, to make special memories with family and friends, to laugh and enjoy what life offers us. This restaurant is the best place for that. We are Diwali management ensures all customers will be spoilt for choice from the vast selection of authentic, fresh, healthy and nutritious dishes we have to offer. These are prepared to the highest standards using the finest quality ingredients, fresh herbs and spices. We also endeavour to provide an efficient, friendly service.
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Last on our list was the Diwali. New décor since I last visited leaves a lot to be desired taste wise. But the service was great (it should have been as it was empty for most of the meal) and friendly.
Had the Dhansak again and to was top notch! We had a selection of veggie dishes which we shared with everyone else on the table and everyone was faultless.
The place is tucked away on a local shopping parade and needs to be used more by the lazy locals - get out of the high street and try this place. If the Zari can get the trade so should Diwali.
Will be back down in the summer for more of the same.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

When it comes to taste in a curryhouse, I prefer mine in the balti dish rather than on the walls. Unfortunately, Diwali gets it the wrong way round.
My quest for the perfect vegetable balti took me, due to a delayed incoming flight, to a precinct near Crawley.
The red and white walls are mirrored in tasteful tabletop decoration and all seemed more promising than the location.
It wasn't busy but the welcome wasn't great - the waiter spent most of his time chatting to a couple who he seemed to know well, and not really payign attention to me or the few other diners.
After a couple of poppadoms with pickle tray (no chopped salad) I ordered a prawn cocktail, which I grant you is not traditional Eastern fare. So the small, watery prawns served without a side of bread was forgivable, if not necessarily instilling confidence ahead of the main dish.
As always, I ordered a veg balti with pilau rise and a peshwari naan. The naan was nicely soft and not smothered in oil. The balti was heavy on onion and light on potato. Unfortunately, it was even lighter in taste.It looked like a curry and smelled like one. It didn't however, taste of one. In fact it didn't really taste of anything, sadly.
It's such a shame, but when the £17.80 bill arrived, the only taste left in my mouth was a bitter one - so I'll be trying a different curryhouse next time I'm in this part of the world.

1  Thank Brian F
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

We have always used it since we found it a few years back.

The food is great and the service makes you feel special.

Having people who suggest food from the menu, recommend dishes you may like and look after you so well is unusual these days.

The best curry house in Crawley by far.

2  Thank Spursray
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have been a fan of Diwali since it first came to Crawley. I am always impressed by the food and the customer service is always very good. The staff are always very friendly and chatty. I would definitely recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

1  Thank JohnCriti
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Nice place, food is great across the varied menu.

Went on a Tuesday and it was £10:50 for three courses.

A full on meal with drinks, just shy of 30 queen heads.

Very happy, tastey, would recommend.