“A Little Gem”

Cuisines: French, Italian, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 1 August 2014

It was 11 AM. I was hungry for breakfast and came across La Rusta whilst walking from the High Street to Queen's Square. This small, neat, immaculate cafe/bistro (?) looked inviting so I went in and ordered La Rusta full breakfast and cafe au lait at the counter. I took my coffee to a window table picking up a newspaper on the way.

The coffee was excellent - how MacDonalds, Cafe Nero, Starbucks et al get away with the stuff they serve I do not know. Anyway, the chef brought my breakfast over and what a sight it was. Two Cumberland sausgages (one split lengthways), an halved tomato, bacon, black pudding and two poached eggs perched on half muffins partly covered with hollandaise sauce. There was some rocket garnish too. It looked terrific.

I have to say that quality ingredients count and these were certainly high quality. What a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast experience only surpassed in my subjective view by the breakfast H cooks for me every Saturday morning at home. So, well done La Rusta and all who work in this fine place. But one other thing. Traditional English caffs have their place. The one across from La Rusta is fine - I've eaten there many times and its good but La Rusta is in a different league.

1  Thank MikePickett

Reviewed 31 July 2014

If you are tired of the same tastes, the same colours, the same bored faces..let me kindly recommend you La Rusta. Personally I am tired of all the franchise tastes, I prefer the good qualities and the unique things. Not only the high standard of Menu can pamper you also the staff who built up this splendid restaurant. The much experienced Italian chef from London, Alex and the young creative, hospitality experienced lady, Anna are a brilliant pairing for creating such a unique restaurant like this.
Everyone can find something favourable on the Menu. What I specially do like, you can not enjoy only the inimitable pizzas, rich English breakfasts and high category salads there but you can be part of some fantastic French pastries testing as well, you can not find them anywhere else just in La Rusta. Thank you guys for making my lunch always special! :)

1  Thank borsi22
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We went to La Rusta for lunch on Saturday and it was excellent. I ordered the baked goat's cheese salad and my boyfriend had the vegetarian pizza flatbread. Both meals were delicious, well presented and very generous portions. The price was also very good for what were filling and tasty dishes, not just the standard thrown-together salad or pizza. Obviously a real effort had been made to put something unique on the menu. We were really impressed and are looking forward to going back next time we're in Crawley. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was thoroughly looking forward to my breakfast experience at La Rusta. Clean pleasant looking restaurant with only six tables.Sat down (at a very small table) looked at the menu english breakfast £8 with no beans so opted for the smoked salmon eggs Benedict. the chef served us which was very welcoming beautifully presented but the fish eggs onto of the packet bought hollandaise where ultra salty leaving a very sour taste the micro herbs had all the style with a bitter flavour i paid nearly £20 for two breakfasts and two hot drinks the cafe opposite was heaving next time i know where i will eat my english breakfast.

4  Thank BridgeA81
LaRusta, Owner at La Rusta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Firstly thank you for your review & feedback. I am disappointed to hear your experience
falls short of the high standards one would normally expect of La Rusta.
We do try our hardest to ensure that our customers get 10 out of 10 dinning experience.

However our menu description doesn't say 'English Breakfast' but 'La Rusta Busta Full Breakfast' for £7.50 and we do have baked beans, if you would prefer those next time!
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no flavour' if the dish what have you ordered was Eggs Royale Not Benedict. In what way did you consider it to be 'no flavour' when we use premium Scottish smoked salmon and pasteurized eggs yolks and clarified butter for the hollandaise sauce lightly seasoned made before service and not packed.

I'm very sorry wasn't to your taste. As you mentioned I hope the café opposite will surfeit your dinning desire.

Best,

La Rusta

Reviewed 7 June 2014

After hearing such fab reviews, I accompanied a friend here for breakfast. Absolutely delicious, and not dripping in grease. Cannot fault it at all, staff were lovely, and the restaurant was clean and welcoming. Will definitely visit here again and will recommend :)