Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South (London Road) Hotel
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Manchester, England
“Sunny Weekend Break”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Visited the Permier Inn at Gatwick South for two nights over the weekend and was pleasantly suprised to find a pub and fantastic beer garden.
We were in the area for a wedding and this Hotel was ideally located for the venue and for a trip into Brighton.
Suprisingly quiet considering the location - we expected to hear lots of plane noise but didn't get disturbed much.
The Hotel surroundings are pleasant - lots of rabbits running arounf on the grassy parts - fun to watch.
Service was very good, staff were very friendly and pleasant. Our only complaint is the room was umpleasantly hot & stuffy - I know this can't be helped as it was a very hot weekend and there is no air-conditioning and the window only opens a little way. We did have a fan & this did help a little but we had to keep it running all night to get any sleep - so fairly restless nights for us all really as the nosie of the fan did keep waking us. Not the best nights sleep ever.
The Gatwick Manor pub next door is okay - food is not that brilliant - usual pub fare, nicely presented but bland. My husband ordered garlic prawns as an extra with his steak - if any garlic had been near them then we couldn't detect it.
The Premier Inn breakfast is advertised as 'cooked the way you like it' only it isn't - everything is set out already cooked - again the food was okay but nothing to rave about. There was a wide choice but not really justifying the £8.25 per person cost.
Overall I would use this hotel again but would probably look elsewhere for food.

Room Tip: We had room 225 which overlooked the bins.........
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
USA
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Nice hotel for an overnight stay. Make sure you call the hotel and request the cab service to the hotel. The rates are cheaper than the ones at the aiport. There is a restaurant there. The service is not the best but it does the job.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CroatiaUsa
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

Great by very friendly reception staff. The rooms are typical premier inn. Lacking character and design but adequate for a short stay of 1 or 2 nights The walls are a bit thin I could hear the TV in the room next to me and the people above walking around. The quality of the breakfast was a little poor and the presentation could be improved.
The attached chef and brewer restaurant was great. Tasty food excellent service all at a reasonable price

• Stayed July 2013
Sidney, B.C. Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed three nights in this hotel before our trip to Europe, and plan to come back again whenever we fly out of Gatwick Airport.

The grounds of this renovated manor hotel are a delight to meander through. A stream, a country lane running through a field and gardens, and even ducks quacking in the slow moving stream, helped me relax from my long flight from Canada.

The accommodation section of this manor home needs updating. The staff are extremely helpful, and the rooms large and comfortable.

An outdoor courtyard snuggles the rest of the numerous buildings that make up this hotel, but it was too chilly for a coffee in the fresh air, this time.

We enjoyed all our meals in the old world pub with the ancient beams, and the seats by the fireplace were comfortable to linger. The affordable meal choices meant we ate most dinners on sight.

The hoppa bus leaves Gatwick Airport every 20 minutes, which is manageable, even after a long, tiring flight.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We have stayed here a few times now as it relieves the stress of getting around the M25 before a flight. It is just a few minutes drive from the south terminal. The rooms are more than adequate with big comfy beds. You get 30 mins free Wi Fi as well. We ate at the restaurant and the food was of a good standard and inexpensive. I would definitely stay here again as long as the price stays reasonable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed here for one night before an early morning flight from Gatwick.

The hotel itself is what you would expect from a Premier Inn - great welcome, clean and spacious room, large comfy bed, good bathroom, good hairdryer, tea & coffee making facilities, large flat screen TV, lovely fluffy towels and pillows, everything super clean. The hotel has ample parking and is situated behind a pub, which looked lovely. When I arrived there were loads of people sitting outside in their garden, everybody seemed very content. The hotel is about 10 minutes drive from Gatwick, if there is no traffic.

However, I had a bad experience due to two factors:

Firstly it took ages to find the right hotel. Even with the help of a GPS co-ordinates, street address, post code and instructions on the booking confirmation! I found out later that there are SIX Premier Inns in the Gatwick area. Six! The two wrong ones I went to, both had at the ready a file with typed up directions from them to each of the others. At one of them, there was another person asking for directions to another Premier Inn. When I finally arrived at the right Premier Inn, there was also another person looking for another Premier Inn there! Anyway, this can't be 100% to the hotel's fault but the mind boggles - clearly there is a problem, clearly they know there is a problem...

The other issue was noise. I've stayed in a fair few Premier Inns and one of the reasons why I prefer them to Travelodge is better noise insulation. I have never had a problem with noise in a Premier Inn before. This time was different though. I could hear people walking in the corridors on my own floor as well as the floor above and I don't mean people talking, I mean just people walking. The worst part though, was when 20 odd people decided to congregate outside the hotel's front door. I'm not sure if they were arriving or leaving but they were chatting very, very loudly at 1am in the morning. It woke me up and it just got louder and louder. I looked out the window and counted about 20 of them. Decided to wait it out but couldn't stand it any longer at 1:15. I phoned reception and asked the ma to sort it out. I am not sure whether he actually ever spoke to them or not but I did notice them talking a little softer for a while but 2 minutes later it was back up to the original volume. FINALLY, at 1:45 they stopped. I was (and am) livid. The next day I was super tired at work all day!

I definitely won't stay here again. I realise that the noise outside was probably a once-off but the other noise wasn't and there are other Premier Inn's closer to the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SA-Girl-Gsy
Northumberland
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Good value comfy stay. Good location easy to get to airport parking. Friendly staff. Very quiet no noise. Did not have breakfast so cant comment. Would definitely stay again. Would like to see these prices for last minute bookings too

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Claudio M, General Manager at Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South (London Road) Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South.

We are so pleased you found our hotel comfortable, quiet and convenient for the airport. It is also great to hear that you felt our Sleep, Park & Fly option such good value. We very much hope that you are able to stay with us again in the near future.

Kind regards