“Great experience”

YOTELAIR London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed in the Gatwick Airport Yotel on 10th April as we got in late on a flight from Palma Mallorca and were flying to Dublin early the next morning. We found the yotel perfect for a night in such circumstances. The bed was very comfortable and all the facilities were great. The staff person on duty, Pratik, was most obliging and helpful and helped us have a very comfortable stay. Thanks Pratik.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for YOTELAIR London Gatwick Airport

Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Yotel with our 2 children aged 3 and 1 prior to an early flight.

We booked a room with the bunk bed arrangement with the addition of a cot, though had this removed on arrival due to logistics of walking around the space once all our bags were in.
The bathroom was a good size and was shut off from the bedroom with a sliding glass door which could be made more private by pulling across a curtain. The shower was good, and toiletries were provided. The beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet despite being close to reception. The hotel is on the floor below the gatwick concourse so there is no noise from passing travellers.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful, and happy to make us tea/coffee/hot chocolate which was included in the price of the room.

What I didn't like about the room was the air quality, it was stuffy and a little like being on an airplane - a bit more of a fresh airflow would be appreciated. Also we were not able to access the radio on our TV which irritated my husband but not enough to get him out of bed and complain to staff. TV reception was fine though.

What convinced me to stay here, despite the room size and travelling with a family, was the ease of stepping out into Gatwick airport, and for this alone I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Had long layover after flight from USA. Was very happy to lay my head down in my cosy cabin.
I had the single room, bed was pretty good with nice duvet. TV built in the foot of the bed. I could not get the AC to work and I was too tired to go for help. WIFI a bit weak,but did get on. Shower is a dream, but is not private. When it was time for my flight to Norway, it was a very short 3 min walk to check-in desk. Dropped my suitcases and went thru customs. Easypeasy! Would I stay again? You betcha!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Melanieann
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Perfect for arriving from a late night flight before heading into town in the morning. I enjoyed the experience.
The bed was extremely comfortable too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tartinfrance
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We had a layover in London on a recent trip and chose Yotel for our overnight stay. We had never stayed with Yotel before but we were very pleased we had chosen them. The location inside the terminal could not have been more convenient for our departure the next day. Our room was quite comfortable and since it was just for one night the small size did not matter at all. Everything was clean and in good working order. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would not hesitate to book a room here again for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

For a "late night in / early morning out" budget sleep, the Yotel Gatwick delivers, but it offers little else. Located inside the airport terminal and not quite as nice as it;'s cousin at Heathrow, this is a "capsule" hotel that is typical for the brand. Entry is gained through an automatic registration (have your numbers handy both for entry and for wifi access), although there is a night attendant to help if you (inevitably) get stuck. A small selection of foods is available at the desk, and an alarm clock can be provided if you ask.

A submarine-like corridor leads to a small room laid out like a Pullman rail car: bunk bed to the right, shower/toilet to the left, sink straight on. The whole room is bathed in purple light that is supposed to by stylish / soothing but can be just odd. There is too much noise from neighbouring capsules, door shutting and running in the corridor is the worst.

With those issues aside, the bed is comfortable and the water stays in the shower. The television / movies / WiFi are all good and there is shelf space for things and a table for working. The ventilation is reasonable and it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as one might expect. I got a good night's sleep and was on my way in the morning without problems.

This is a good stop if you just need a few hours sleep before moving on, but nothing more.

Room Tip: End of the hall might be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DaveH-ExPat
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

My room was booked for 1am, my name shown on the booking. Having flown into Gatwick I checked in just after 1am as per the booking, gave my name and was showed to my room. I had requested a single and he showed me to a twin, nothing unusual as often the room you booked was full. I got ready for bed and was out like a light knowing I had to be awake again in less than five hours for a four hour drive.

Some time later, 1.45am I later discovered I was awoken by a knock ony door. Thinking it must have been a mistake I tried to get back to sleep but was disturbed again by a knock. In bed in the buff, luckily I could reach the door handle so blearily opened it to have the receptionist ask my name again, I gave it to him, shut the door and started drifting off.

Knock knock! I opened the door again, now rather tetchy. "Sir I think there is a mix up with your name I need to see your booking reference". Now semi irate I told him I didn't care if he had shown me into the wrong room he shouldn't have woken me and I couldn't care less if I was in the wrong room, I then told him to 'go away' or words to that effect! By this time I would imagine most of the dozen or so people in that corridor were also woken up, a collegue of mine certainly was further down as he heard most of the goings on.

Knock knock. "Sir you must show me your booking reference or I will call security!". Unbelievable! I told him to do that.

Knock knock? No. Beep. He opened my door with his own key leant in and demanded I speak to him. I slammed the door in his face and told him quite firmly to go away (guess the words) and leave me alone.

Now I was wide awake awaiting Gatwick police to call so I grabbed my phone and looked up the booking reference.

Knock knock. "Sir you must talk to me" I opened the door, showed him the reference, told him to apologise and then go away. He did.

The next morning at 7am he apologised and offered me free wine which I refused. He then explained that someone with a similar name checked in after me and he has put me in the wrong room. Despite my name being shown on the room, he got confused because the room was booked by someone else from the office. Regardless of this, it was ridiculous to be treated as I was and woken up when he could and should have worked out the mixup in a couple of minutes.

Usually I put up with the small rooms, being woken at all hours by people coming and going at all hours and poor aircon in the summer. From now on I will stay at the Sofitel, well worth the extra £40-£50!

• Stayed: April 2012