“A Nice Stay before an Early Flight”

Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
London
“A Nice Stay before an Early Flight”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We booked into the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick because it was close to the airport but not at the airport. I was leaving on a business trip early on a Sunday morning and the other half decided to come with me for the night before I flew out.

Located about a 10 minutes drive from the airport this was the perfect spot.

Check in was fast and easy. I was very impressed that after I mentioned that I had an early flight we were but on the top floor which is designated as the quiet floor (and was). I was also offered a breakfast box to take the airport with me. As I have lounge access I skipped the breakfast box.

The room was very modern and nicely decorated. It had clearly had a complete refurb fairly recently. Spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed, good flat screen television and free wifi.

The bathroom was shower only but that works fine for me. At 5am there was tons of hot water and nice toiletries.

The Other Half did stay for breakfast and said that it was very good. He mentioned that they had veggie sausages which is a very nice touch.

We used the gym and pool and were happy with both. The health club includes a pool, steam rooms and sauna as well as a Cybex equipped gym. All very clean and not too crowded.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us ans found that the hotel offered everything you needed for a comfortable nights stay before leaving early for Gatwick Airport.

I am pleased that you managed to use the Health Club and enjoyed a hearty breakfast before leaving.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Newbury
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We Stayed at this hotel on Saturday 1st February on a APH parking package which we found to be excellent value for money.

On arrival at reception we were told by the trainee receptionist that she could not find our booking, despite us having a booking reference number. After several minutes of searching the receptionist asked the reception manager what to do, the receptionist was told to call APH to send over our confirmation, We stood for over 20 minutes while the receptionist tried to contact APH. We were getting pretty frustrated standing at the desk for so long after a long drive. Finally she got through but it was the wrong number, back to waiting while another call was made. When she finally got through we were informed that they had not received our booking confirmation (we booked in September) apparently bookings from APH are faxed over to the hotel, so it is no wonder our booking was lost! so many things can go wrong when sending a fax! It should be done by email or post! Anyway after the receptionist put the phone down from APH she said that we would have to wait 10 minutes while APH re faxed our confirmation over! considering that the receptionist had it confirmed by phone and also had a copy of our emailed confirmation in front of her she expected us to wait further to allocate us a room! By this time we had been stood at reception for a full 40 minutes and not once did the reception manageress come over and ask how we or the trainee receptionist were getting on, another young girl trainee did try to help but to no avail.
After stating that the receptionist knew that we did in fact have a booking we asked if we could be allocated our room instead of waiting further for the fax from APH she said that she would have to check with her manager! Finally she came back and said yes, but low and behold she had to create a new booking to give us a room! The receptionist then proceeded to pull out a jotter pad with step by step instructions of how to make a booking on the system.......why are trainees left alone to do this when they do not know what they are doing? I find this to be very unprofessional considering the standard of the hotel. I think the manageress should have at least interjected and helped considering the amount of time that we were stood at reception.

The hotel will say that it was not their fault that they did not receive the booking from APH but how the handled it after was not very good at all.

I would also like to note that the trainee receptionist had a plastic bracelet with swastika's all around it! How offensive is that to certain customers? I was dumbfounded when I spotted it!

This is not the first time at Crown Plaza Gatwick that I have not had a good check in experience! The last time was 3rd September 2012 on my wedding night we booked to stay in a club room the night before our honeymoon and paid quite a lot for it, to be ushered off without being told where our room was, where the club lounge was or what time breakfast was, the guy who dealt with us then was just not interested in us as customers despite us standing there in our wedding finery!

Putting all the above aside once you get past reception you will find a very nice hotel The rooms are well equipped, beds very comfy and the club rooms are a nice touch of luxury! Food is very good. I definitely would have given this hotel a higher rating if the customer service was up to scratch.

I will be staying again in May before I fly out to Mexico......lets hope I have a better experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I do apologise that your check in did not go smoothly .It was unfortunate that the Hotel did not have your booking as we had not had your booking through from APH. Like many procedures these days our system works if we have the correct information and booking reference.

I am sorry that the trainee was not able to find your booking, and perhaps took longer when trying assist you . I have passed on all your comments to the Front Office Manager who will address the training needs for our new members of staff so that in future they will be able to offer a more efficient service. and we will make sure that there is a senior member of staff on hand to help with issues such as yours..

APH like many agents are not always available when we call and I am sorry that it did take a long time before we were able to check you in and make a new booking for you. We do have to wait for their confirmation fax it is how their system operates.

I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I am pleased that once we did get you checked in you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed with my family at the Crowne Plaza as we were celebrating my birthday and needed a convenient to stay .
the Hotel is just a big convenient block with rooms.I was quite annoyed that we had to pay for the parking of two cars.
The large entrance doors were broken so the foyer was drafty. When we had a drink in the bar area, there was water dripping from the ceiling so a Champagne bucket was placed underneath to collect the water..at least they showed some panache and did not use a plastic one..
The chambermaid was sweet but did not speak a word of English so I had to learn to say thank you in russian..
The swimming pool was average but there was no personnel there and I had to wait for somebody to come and give me the entry code to the facilities.
As I said a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I am sorry that we were xperiencing a few problems caused by the excessive rain we have been experiencing like many others we did not escape some small amount of damage.

I do apologise that we were not looking our best during your stay.

I hope that the issues you experienced will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here before flying to Thailand
On arrival we checked in and were given a upgrade to a club room which included canapés and alcohol/soft drinks from 1830-2030 also continental breakfast from 0830-1030,room was new,modern,great bathroom,with a wonderful shower,view nothing to write home about but didn't matter.
Bed very comfortable.
We do use gym/swimming pool Etc when staying in hotels,so quite important for us,gym and changing room was very outdated and needs renovation,if you had 8 people in the gym it would be very congested,quite smelly in there and machines were outdated,changing area and shower felt dirty and again old,swimming pool itself was nice but steam room could do with renovation,smelt quite funky aswell,decor around pool could do with a lick of paint,if the crown plaza invested in renovating the spa/gym it could be a good hotel going to excellent,service in all areas was very good and do check out Italian restaurant nearby "Taormina" (see review on trip advisor" best Italian we have visited !!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I am pleased that we were able to ffer you an upgrade on your booking and that you enjoyed staying in one of our Club Rooms with the access to the Club Lounge.

I am sorry that our Health Club facilities did not meet with your expectations. If you are a member at a large fitness Club then we may not offer the same facilities due to the space.

We replaced all the gym equipment in 2013. We feel that we offer our guests a good choice with complimentary access to the Health Club and pool.We are one of a small minority of hotels in the area that offer this facility .

I do hope that you will choose to stay again in the future we look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Isle of Man
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Always a warm welcome and offered free upgrade to Club Room and lounge. These rooms are fantastic - good size, nicely furnished and quiet. The free drinks in club lounge each eve are also a bonus.
However, there is no longer a coach connection to hotel from airport- so instead you have to pay a (discounted) rate of £10 each way. This makes the link expensive compared to other hotels nearby.
The restaurant food was pretty good but had a long wait for a bar meal one evening when the place seemed very crowded.
Given the rooms are higher than the Holiday Inn near airport and that has a bus, this hotel may lose out.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank philosIsleofMan
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your general experience about our Hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you are satisfied with the rooms and always find front desk welcoming.

I am delighted that you enjoy staying in the Club Rooms and use the Club Lounge to relax during the evening.

We no longer have a bus service as they withdrew the service in 2013 . We do think that although the Taxi transfer is a little more expensive. It offers a far superior service and is flexible with the time you choose to come and go,with the added bonus of a short transfer time instead of sitting on a bus for 40 minutes while it picks up at different hotels in the area.

I do hope that you will continue to choose to stay with us in the future.

Albion, Mauritius
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Location is great. Walking distance from city center. Great staff. Concierge is awesome. Got a couple of packets delivered and was handle perfectly.
On one side of the hotel get wake up each time there is a delivery. When moved room the AC unit was making a noise. Never got fixed in 3 weeks...

Room Tip: Make sure you do not book a room on the side of the delivery bay.