“Pay for Restaurant Items before ordering”

Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
“Pay for Restaurant Items before ordering”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

A very pleasant looking hotel at the outset. As an IHG Gold a Elite member I was taken aback that an upgrade was not automatically offered. They claimed to be fully booked,but were still taking walk-in customers straight after we checked in! What takes the biscuit however is having to sign/pay for coffees and a snack in their bar BEFORE we received our order. Wow!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plazza london Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I am sorry that we were unable to offer a complimentary upgrade to you during this stay . We do our best to offer upgrades when availability allows. We are a very busy Airport Hotel and our Club Rooms are very popular limiting the amount of free upgrades we can offer our IHG members. I am sorry if you felt disappointed.

It is normal procedure in most hotels to ask a guest to sign a docket if they are going to charge anything to their room. This is to protect the guest from anyone trying to charge services to a room that is not theirs. If we have a signature then you as the guest have a record of the order.

I am sorry if you were upset at being asked to sign before your order arrived. I will pass on your comments to the Bar Manager .

I hope that despite your comments you will not be detered from staying with us again .We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Two of us stayed here before flying out fem Gatwick. I paid £47 for a double room including breakfast. We were upgraded to a superior room, which included free soft drinks 24/7 and free alcoholic drinks and access to a lounge area for a couple of hours in the evening.

The room was large, clean and very modern. I can honestly say it was ideal for what we wanted, and great value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Ben K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments and feedback following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to a Club Room and the Club Lounge facilities, and found your package good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Sindarmy Vingadassalom
Duty Manager
glasgow
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have and will continue to use this hotel as a base for flying from Gatwick / getting into London (Gatwick Express). Personally I have always found this hotel ticks all the boxes in our requirements. Excellent location, facilities, Staff and rooms.
The Hotel has a deal with the local Taxi firm (ACE Taxis) £10.00 to the Airport. If you phone when you return they will collect you outside the Premier Inn which is located in the Airport. Again £10.00 back to the Hotel.
Found the Health Club Staff particularly helpful this time in suggesting a route for a 5 mile run, Karima from the Club Lounge in checking on our evening Restaurant Reservation & excellent Bar Service and Janice in Guest Relations. Praise due!
Our room was on the 4th floor and a Club Room which I could not fault in anyway. Especially liked the flat screen wall TV in the Bathroom & and the; this works: sleep – 2 mini solutions for a better nights sleep “freebie” – can’t help but pop this in my luggage! Hotel was very busy but the Staff coped well.
I have never found any problems with the Staff - smile and you get a smile back.
The Hotel is located within easy walking distance of Crawley which has ample Restaurants, Cinema, Shopping Mall and two large Supermarkets.
We use Crowne Plaza Stay and Park deal which we find excellent value for money. Cannot stand being confined within an Airport – prefer to have options.
Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Try a club room upgraded - well worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I would like to thank you for your lovely comments about the staff I will be sure to pass on your comments to them.

I am pleased to read that you enjoy staying with us and find that the hotel ticks all the boxes for you. It is sometimes nice to be just outside the Airport so that you can explore the surrounding area.

I do hope that you will continue to choose to stay with us when travelling out of Gatwick .We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza.

watford
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Small bathroom. No writing paper or pen we had 5 envelopes in the folio. Reception did not answer the phone and could not get through to room service. Reported room problems to futy manager and they gsve me a free whisky!

1 Thank magicnic
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick.

II would like to thank you for taking the time to speak to me about the items that were missing from your room. I appreciate that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. I have passed on all your feedback so that we can address the problems you encountered.

I do hope that despite the deficiencies during your stay you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Indpls, IN
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a week recently while on business in the area. Check in was fast, and because I was an IGH rewards member (not high status) I was upgraded to a club level room and had complimentary internet service. I did not have access to the club lounge with the free upgrade. The room was very large, quiet, and very nicely furnished, with a separate shower and tub in the bathroom. I was on the second floor and did not notice any air con noise.
There was a small fridge in the room, a complimentary bottle of water each day, as well as a french press and kettle for coffee, plus tea, cocoa, and biscuits. The only downside was breakfast was an additional 10 pounds if ordered in advance, 16.95 same day, both of which were over the limits of my expense account, but with a large grocery store within a 5 minute walk, I bought fruit, yogurt, etc. for breakfast. The retail center of Crawley is about 1.5 miles from the hotel, an easy walk, plus there is a movie theater with multiple restaurants in a leisure park about half way to the retail center so plenty of options to walk to dinner. I did not use the car park or restaurants, so can't comment on those.
My business partner had a superior room, and it was of similar size to my club room. I did see the "regular" rooms on occasion when walking past while they were being made up, and they were quite small, fine for overnight for one, but for a week I think they would be too small.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are much larger than the regular rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Janice P, Guest Relations Officer at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Ind4

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with other travelers on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the service you received from our staff was efficient and that you were satisfied with the room upgrade. I am sorry that you found the breakfast was over the limits of your expense account, likely the hotel is near the centre of Crawley so you don't need to take the bus to get to Restaurants, Supermarkets etc..

Thank you again for your positive comments. Such comments are always welcomed and encouraging for both Staff and Management.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future.

Marcella tempra
Guest Relations Officer
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

With the constant queues on the M25 it makes a lot of sense to drive the day before your flight and stay overnight. There are many to choose from. This one ticks all the right boxes. Clean, comfortable, convenient, good value and helpful staff. We booked through APH - one night at the hotel & 5 days parking at APH. Need to allow an hour to get from the hotel to check-in via APH.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I have to agree with you that it makes sense to avoid delays on the busy M25 it is a good idea to book a hotel the night before. It gets the Holiday off to a good start knowing that you are just a short drive or Taxi ride to the Airport in the morning.

I am pleased that you enjoyed staying with us and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back when you next fly out of Gatwick on holiday.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here the 30th May before travelling out to Vegas and have stayed here many times in the past. We booked this up well in advance and got a very good rate of £55 for the night as its normally higher than that. As this was our 5th year on the bounce we even got an upgrade to a better room which was nice touch also.
The hotel has everything you need for a overnight stay, with a nice bar area, restaurant, swimming pool and gym if you really want to use prior to holiday :-).
We don't normally stay in the Hotel for food so can't comment as you can walk towards Crawley and they have a retail park about 10 minutes away that has TJI, Pizza, Chinese etc etc and we go there!!

Room Tip: If you can afford the better rooms then it is worth it as they are at the ends of the corridor and a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fraser66
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you have stayed with us previously and find the hotel represents great value . I was pleased that as a regular guest with us we were able to offer a room upgrade on your booking this stay .

I do hope that you will continue to choose to stay with us in the future we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Guest relations Manager