“Good hotel with the potential of becoming fantastic”

Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Macau, China
“Good hotel with the potential of becoming fantastic”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a good hotel located in the town of Crawley, next to Gatwick. It is a few blocks away from Crawley's downtown which is not crowded yet and has several decent restaurants, shopping centers and history. Beautiful English town with all the services available. Banks, movies, a largevpost office, supermarkets, hardware stores etc.

The rooms are extremely clean and the service staff works hard to accomplish their duty successfully. The hotel has a decent swimming pool and a gym. The restaurant is good also and the staff is excellent.

A couple of things could be improved though: safety deposit boxes should be installed in the guest rooms, because this service is only provided at the Front Desk.

I am not sure of the hotel's age, because some areas are very modern; but there are two extremely narrow elevators that should be upgraded with larger ones (it also has a third one of normal size) that makes me suspect this is an old hotel that was completely renovated not too long ago. You cannot tell by looking at it from the outside.

The interior decoration is typical of an English hotel but not to modern standards. Yet I would still stay in the hotel again in the future.

• Stayed August 2014
Janice P, Duty Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with the cleanness of the room and the level of service provided by the staff. I am glad that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant and had the opportunity to take advantage of the Health Club facilities.

I would like to thank you for your suggestions and constructive feedback. We do have safety deposit in our Club bedrooms and are in a process of upgrading all our rooms with safety deposit boxes. We have taken all your comments on board and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at the hotel.

Sindarmy Vingadassalom,
Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Add 25 pounds (about $40) to the price if you expect this to be something like a normal airport hotel with at least shuttle service. The only way to get here is by taxi.

The manager has answered similar complaints on here saying "the taxi is worth the extra cost; the shuttle buses are so poor". But that's no answer, as any airport hotel guest anywhere in the world can use a taxi if he prefers. Here there is simply no other option.

If you need to get into London from here, you have a choice of spending an hour and a half on various modes of public transportation, or taking a taxi back to Gatwick and using the Gatwick Express. Or you can just take a taxi from the hotel into central London for 60 pounds -- which is what I'm going to have to do.

By the time you've sorted out the transportation nightmare, you might as well have stayed at the Sofitel -- a real 5* hotel -- in the terminal -- much more convenient. I will have spent the same amount of money and regret that I did not do so.

If you rent a car, none of this is a problem, and there is nothing else really wrong with this hotel. Rooms are tiny -- less than 20m2, so just a bit larger than an Ibis, but they are perfectly comfortable, and the price is also 3*, so this is not a problem. The bar is nice and has a nice buzz. But if you don't have a car, don't bother. This is not a true airport hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Janice P, Duty Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Cameron S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport hotel.

I was disappointed to read that the taxi transfer service that we offer did not suit your needs and meet your expectations.

I am pleased that you found the room comfortable and liked the bar facilities.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back at the hotel.

Sindarmy Vingadassalom
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel prior to flying the next day. Very comfortable beds, delicious freshly cooked curry in the bar and only 5 minutes from the airport. We used Help-Me-Park parking as part of the deal which was very reasonable. They collected car at the airport and brought it to us on our return. Would definitely stay here again

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear timetraveller86,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the bed comfortable and enjoyed your meal in the Cube lounge. I am glad that the location of the hotel was convenient and the parking package deal good value.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Sindarmy Vingadassalom
Gloucester
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here prior to our 12 day holiday. Booked this hotel as they had an offer on & they stated they had refridgerators in the room, which I needed to store medication. Unfortunately, when I checked in was told that the rooms only have coolers which were not cold enough. Reception directed me to the bar, for them to store my medication, which they kindly did.

We usually stay at HI Gatwick and would have stayed here if I had known about the fridges.

We had to be at Gatwick for 7am so ordered a taxi on check in. We did not stay for breakfast.

Unfortunately, there seemed to be a misunderstanding between myself and the receptionist who did not seem to understand, due to language barriers, that as I had booked 15 days parking I had not paid £10 for overnight parking as I considered this all in. First she said I had to pay then when I went to pay she said I didn't have to so half expected to pay upon my return to hotel after my holiday, but didn't.

Rooms are a lot smaller than other CP I have stayed at, we also did not receive the sleep sprays that we had at other CP. Bed was comfortable and did the job.

Taxi to airport was £10 but the taxi service was not very good & unlike other firms did not offer to pick us up on return. We had a business card from a taxi firm we used at Gatwick last year contacted them for return trip at £10.50.

Car was waiting for us on return where we left it. Receptionist on return was much more pleasant and more professional.

Would probably stay here again as parking was easier on arrival than HI. But would more likely use HI Gatwick, as this is nearer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Janice P, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Gatwick Airport Hotel.

I do apologise that there was some confussion concerning your booking and the parking .
I was pleased to read that this was sorted out, and on your return the procedure was easier.

If you do choose to stay with us in future please do mention if you need to keep medicine cool we will always take care of this for you. We also have several different room types which you may prefer to the one you had . If you are not satisfied with any aspect of your stay please do always bring it to our attention as we will always try our best to assist you and offer a solution.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future we very much look forward to being of service to you.

Janice Puddephatt
Guest Relations Manager
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

It may seem a pricey option, but the valet parking is definitely worth it. Usual business hotel which was quite busy with tourists as it was Boxing Day, but coped well with the rush. Bottled out of the restaurant dinner as too tired after a long drive and the bar meal was sufficient. British breakfast set us up for the usual struggle through departures and happy that the car would be safely looked after. Coming back from the West Indies, no problem in ringing the parking to advise we had arrived in Luggage reclaim and the car was ready for us to pile in and drive home. Recommend this service as part of your room rate.

Room Tip: Did ask for a quiet room and not disappointed, very comfy beds
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JRMaddog
Janice P, Guest Relations Officer at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear JRMaddog

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to read that you found that the valet parking is definitely worth it, and that you were satisfied with the service you received.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future.

Tiniest town
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night/3 nights parking, family room (3 adults). 2 had mobility problems, and we were further from the lift than we would have liked, but not a major issue.

Good facilities, good room and will no doubt stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Nameattempt20

I am sorry that your room was far from the lift, in future please do not hesitate to contact reception if you are not happy with any aspect of your stay and we will always try to offer a solution. I am glad that you were satisfied with the facilities and the room.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stay about 10 to 15 times a year at this hotel as my head office is based in Crawley and I live in the Midlands. The hotel is very consistent in the level of service they give and the rooms are always clean and comfortable. Any issues with the rooms or amenities have always sorted out very quickly by the staff on duty at the time. The Gym and Pool are good and well equipped and is one of the reasons I stay at this hotel. I also think the breakfast and Hotel restaurant are very goo and reasonable value for a 4*hotel. My one criticism is quite often the check in process seems very slow and even when there are 3 or 4 check in staff on the desk it seems that at least a couple are trainee's which is fine but don't seem to have anyone mentoring them which means they are constantly asking questions of the other staff on the desk which slows the whole process down for everyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear PorkyPad

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and comments about your stay.

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel is very consistent in the level of service we give and that the rooms are always clean and comfortable. I was also please to read that you found that any issues with the rooms or amenities have always been sorted out very quickly by the staff on duty at the time.

I am glad you enjoyed the Health Club facilities and breakfast and I am sorry that the check in was slow due to the trainee asking question to other staff members, I will address your feedback to the Front Office Manager.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.