“Just for the night...”

Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Lisbon, Portugal
“Just for the night...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

This hotel suffered some renovations recently that definitely changed my opinion about it.
With a classic simple decoration, the hotel it’s characterized by the Crowne Plaza’s favorite comfortable bed.
The room is a bit small, but enough for a night-stop… just be prepare to place your luggage somewhere in the floor and be careful not to step on it during the night! The bathroom was definitely my favorite thing with very simple yet modern design that made me forget its small size!
The staff, overall, is OK. No one was over the top but there wasn’t also a bad member.
Service in the bar took forever to happen and it would be nice if they actually have table service for at least food…
Quality of the food was good for a hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
guestrelationslgw, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments regarding our hotel and bedrooms. I am sorry the service in the bar was not up to our usual standards; however your valuable comments are used as part of our continual service improvement programme and have been passed to the Food & Beverage Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I arrived on Tuesday evening, 27JUL, and went directly to the Priority Club check in area as I am a Priority Club Platinum Ambassador. The young lady working the desk was fairly quiet and uncertain, which was explained when I saw she had a "trainee" badge. Next to me was a gentleman who was completing his check-in and after showing his Priority Club Blue card, was told by the lady working the desk that he had been upgraded to a Club Room. As I was checked in, I asked about my room and I was sheepishly told that I did not get an upgrade as the hotel was suddenly full. When I then asked if I could then have access to the club lounge, the attendant disappeared after consulting with her colleagues (both trainees as well) and I was then told that the manager decided to grant me the access. After going to the room, which was standard, I went to the lounge for refreshments and later went back to the reception to ask for information about the area, i.e. restaurants and shops. The lady who helped me, Rozio, who I spoke to in Spanish (both our native languages), helped me, but without cracking a single smile and immediately spoke to me in "tu" instead of "Usted" which is not acceptable! Horrible faux pas. I asked what their policy was on Priority Club guests and when she confirmed the information about the complimentary upgrade for PC Ambassador guests, I asked her why I wasn't granted it but my neighbour, with a lower status was, and I was told that my PC information was more than likely not available on my booking on time. I was astonished as I booked a week earlier through the Priority Club website directly and it was mentioned on there. I also said it was a bit insulting that it was granted to someone else as I stood there and she just shrugged her shoulders and looked at me as if she didn't care one bit. No apologies or anything. She checked my card for the access to the lounge and said I already had it, so no worries. Internet access, typically granted to these rooms, that was unheard of - I had to buy it, which I refuse to do as it was not cheap and not the fastest connection either.

Due to this attitude and overall situation I was on the verge of checking out right away. I spend so much time travelling and have experienced many hotels worldwide and I was just fed up with the attitude of the staff at the reception. Plus I didn't enjoy the fact that my status wasn't recognised or even honoured; I had to point it out (which I hate to do, but when I show such loyalty, I expect a little something in return) and it was sad that I had to ask about everything.

All in all it could be a great hotel for those occasional travellers who stay a night or so, but it has certainly made me think twice about returning and I will warn fellow colleagues and travellers, who are in the same boat as myself.

2 Thank dp_visser
LGWUKGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us here.

Platinum membership and Platinum Ambassador membership within Crown Plaza will receive complimentary upgrades if a room is available at check-in. I have personally reviewed all arrivals. One base member was in a Club Room around the time you checked in but I assure you that the guest paid for the upgrade and was not given this complimentary. There were no further club room upgrades after you checked in. As our club rooms are extremely popular and demand for them often outstrips supply we do not pre-allocate prior to arrival as we feel this is the fairest way.

Club lounge access without a club room is not normally available but I hope by giving this to you that it showed that your status as a Platinum member was actually recognised. Internet access is available complimentary in the Club Lounge or WiFi is available elsewhere but is chargeable.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations of the complimentary upgrade but I sincerely hope you understand that on some occasions these are not available. As you will know the upgrade is not guaranteed.

Your comments have been shared with my reception team and I apologise for the manner in which you found the trainee.

I do hope you will return to us in the future.
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

We booked this hotel as we were to attend a wedding in nearby Seaford. As you can imagine this is quite a challenge with four children under 7 in tow! In fact doing anything with that many children is hard work.
We were really glad to start with that the hotel actually offered accomodation to a family the size of ours. Many hotels insist on us booking two rooms which is far more expensive as well as inconvenient, mum in one room and dad in the other!!
We arrived fairly late in the evening after travelling 150 miles on a very hot day, so we were very glad to be welcomed by the friendly andf helpful reception staff.
Our room was lovely, One large double bed and a double (proper) sofa bed.Travel cot had already been made up for us.
There was large fluffy white towels and dressing gowns and slippers for our use. The bathroom was beautiful and spotlessly clean. There were complimentary toiletries which was great as I did for get to bring my shampoo!!
The room was still spacious even with the extra beds out. The children werew very happy that the room had a large flat screen tv and I was happy that there was chilled wine in the mini bar,lol.
We ate in the retaurant in the evening and were really pleased with the standard of food and service. The staff were helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. During the meal our eldest son started to feel quite ill with a bad throat and earache. The staff organized for the rest of our meals (mine and my partners) to be sent up to our rooms so we could finish them. My partner was then able to go and get some calpol for our son and then finish his meal.
We ate breakfast in the restaurant the next day and we were impressed with the vast array of breakfast foods on offer. There was cereals, fruits, yoghurts ideal for children as well as cooked breakfasts and cold meats and cheeses for a more continental style breakfast. There were plenty of high chairs available also.
We used the pool the next day. The facilities were again clean and the kids loved the pool and bubble spa area.
I cannot rate this hotel enough as what could have been a very stressful weekend was actually very pleasant for me and my partner.
The hotel is in a great location for anyone wihing to visit Brighton as we did during our stay as the Brighton hotels are often overpriced for what you get in my opinion!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank somersetgirlygirl
guestrelations4, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
We were delighted to hear how much you and the children enjoyed the swimming pool and facilities.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport. Such positive comments as yours are always welcomed by both Management and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and remember we have a lowest internet rate guarantee when booking online.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

Staid here both for business and leisure and it is difficult to find any negatives about this hotel. It is very well managed, has a pleasant feel to it with a great leisure club/pool and well furnished rooms. The exterior is a little deceiving, but the inside is well designed and modern. Example: each room comes standard with a European electrical socket /outlet above the desk (quality is in the details). The highlights:

* good parking and excellent access to hotel with bags etc (very well designed)
* excellent service
* very reasonable prices (GBP 2 / hr for Internet access, GBP 7.50 for overnight parking)
* great healthclub with sauna, steam room and pool at EXCELLENT temperature
* comfy beds, good family rooms
* 4 lifts, so you hardly ever have to wait long

Only negative is the jacuzzi that is not very hot due to a plumbing error that cannot be rectified easily apparently.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are on a stopover in Gatwick airport. Sofitel and Hilton are great too, but they don't have the health club and proximity to Crawley town (walking distance to Virgin Cinema complex, restaurants, mall, etc).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
guestrelations4, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Thank you for such a lovely review of our hotel and for your positive comments, which are always welcomed by both staff and management.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that the Jacuzzi is now working well, however the temperature is not as hot as it should be and this will be resolved shortly.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and remember we have the lowest internet rate guarantee when booking online.
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

What a fantastic family room, much better than the usual family rooms.
The room had 2 large beds, the main one was enormous, extremely comfortable, lots of pillows, the 2nd one was a full size double bed, again very comfortable - much better than the standard sofa bed style.
The room itself was very large and airy, very clean and comfortable.
The towels in the bathroom were very large, and the toiletries good quality. Our daughter especially liked the bathrobe and slippers but was quite upset when we explained they were not ours to keep!
We thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast - the variety and quality of the food was excellent. The staff were friendly and polite, and kept the restaurant very clean and tidy, used plates were quickly removed and finished tables cleared immediately.
We did not use the pool but it looked very inviting, clean and airy.
The only slight downside was the noise that could be heard from the airconditioning units outside our window, however it did not disturb our sleep, was just slightly annoying for our daughter when trying to get to sleep.
Although we only stayed one night I would recommend this hotel, and would have no heistation in using it again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank KarlJoe
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our family rooms and the comfort of the beds and pillows. We were very sorry to hear that your daughter was upset when she could not keep the bathrobe and slippers; these are available for purchasing from the hotel.

I was sorry to hear that the air conditioning units were noisy outside your room, but delighted to know it did not disturb your sleep.

Positive comments such as yours are always welcomed by all the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed at Crowne Plaza Gatwick on May Bank Holiday before flying from Gatwick - this is the second time this year that we have stayed and have had a great stay both times. Room was clean, tidy and had everything that we needed. Can't comment on the food as left this time at 3am to catch plane but had breakfast during first stay and that was good. Hotel has great swimming pool with jacuzzi which is great to relax in prior to holiday. Also within walking distance of Crawley town centre so easy to walk to shops and restaurants. Maybe not as cheap as some of the park and stay hotels at Gatwick but definately not the most expensive and overall good value for money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to put on your review. We were pleased to hear that you had a relaxing time before your holiday.

We are running bi monthly food promotions in our restaurant together with bar menus which should suit all price ranges. I do hope you have a chance to have a meal in our restaurant during your next stay.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Having read some of the bad reviews on Trip Advisor about this hotel I was wondering if it was the same one or not . My room was on the fourth floor and was some way from the lift making it a quiet area and even with the air ducts and generators below which every hotel has the noise was minimum. The Crown Plaza is near to Gatwick but I didn't hear any plane noise during my stay .The room was air conditioned andeven when turned on full you could just about hear a faint background hum and cooled the room perfectly.
My room was very well appointed with all the usual extras one would expect from a four star hotel with the added bonus of a free toiletry service for those travellers who forget essentials like razors or toothbrushes.
The room like the hotel was exceptionally clean and the ensuite looked as though it was brand new with modern fittings and although the shower was in the bath with a curtain there was plenty of room.
Breakfast was a help yourself affair and the food was very good and plenty of it. All the staff were excellent.
I would recommend this hotel for business or pleasure and would not hesistate to stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Travelling-man30
guestrelations4, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 10 June 2010
Thank you for your very nice review, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.