“Nice hotel....especially if you like air conditioning!!”

Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
West Sussex
“Nice hotel....especially if you like air conditioning!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2010

My family and I stayed here recently for a family wedding. We got a special rate for the rooms including full breakfast which was very good value for money, and free parking. Great location for Gatwick Airport which is around 10 minutes from Gatwick depending on traffic. Also nearby are restaurants and bars in Crawley and a large entertainment complex about 10 mins walk. The double rooms were well furnished and bathrooms were adequate. The air con system in the room worked very well, if not too well! Which brings me on to my main point, the air conditioning in the main areas of the hotel, especially the conference/ wedding suites was absolutely FREEZING. Even in August when it is almost necessary to have on, it seemed to be constantly pumping out freezing air. So much so that I came away from the trip with an incredibly sore throat which turned into a chill. So to sum it up, I would stay here again, i'd just take lots of extra layers!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
guestrelations4, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Thank you for posting your positive comments regarding the Hotel and location.

The Air-conditioning in each room can be turned off at any time. However, we are very sorry to hear that you were cold during the wedding you attended; the Air conditioning can always be turned down on request from the organiser. Unfortunately as I am sure you understand if it is a large gathering you always have some who are cold and some who are warm.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Arrived late after a long day in Ireland. Check in was easy and I was upgraded to an executive room (not that you could tell the difference). When I got in the room it was clean and spacious and modern. The view was over the all the air con ducts to the hotel (executive?) but it was late and the view was not important.

The cosmetics in the bathroom would have been great had they not been half used and the complimentary bottle of water had been opened (as the seal was broken) and i assume topped up.

Bed was comfy and check out was very easy.

I would have normally complained about the above points but I was tired from a long days travelling and did not want to stay up for the response.

I will not stay there again due there being half used shower gel and already complimentary water.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was sorry to read you were unhappy with the location of your executive room.

In the future if you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay, please feel free to contact Reception and if we have availability we will be happy to move you to another room or rectify any issues.

We have taken your valuable comments up regarding the water with the head housekeeper.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments regarding the comfy bed and check out.
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We stayed here overnight on two separate occasions. The staff in the hotel are excellent and the rooms, even if they a little on the small side are very comfortable. What makes this hotel even better is the fact that it has an indoor pool and health centre, so you can really chill out while you are in transit. The food is delicious, I cannot fault it and I am quite fussy. We will be using this hotel when we go away again next year. Very Happy.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
guestrelations4, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
Thank you for your positive review, I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to make use of our Health Club while you were here. Comments such as yours are always welcomed and have been shared with both staff and management. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2010

The hotel is rather new and the rooms are kept in a warm and modern design with red and brown colours and grey tones in the bathrooms. The beds are of good quality and the Crowne Plaza bedding is very comfortable. The hotel is connected with the Gatwick airport terminals through the Hoppa Bus. This bus is at extra cost and does not run frequently enough in my opinion. Also it takes quite a while to get to both terminals as the bus stops at other hotels as well. Be careful when planning to be at the airport on time. The heating in the rooms was very inefficient and we were freezing all night long. Reception was unable to help. No technician in the building in the evening that day. Breakfast was good with very helpful staff. Again the room was very cold.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza. I was disappointed to hear you found your bedroom to be cold during your stay. We usually do not receive complaints regarding our heating system, however we do stock extra heaters for our guests if required. I was pleased you enjoyed our new premium Crowne Plaza "Sleep advantage" bedding and that you enjoyed your breakfast. I hope we are can look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Netherlands
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I just returned from a short business trip to the London area where I stayed a few nights at the Crown Plaza Crawley. There was many things that made me questions this hotel.

First I arrived late, and my Priority Club Status was not recognized. And no benefits was offered me, until I questioned the staff. I found the rooms very small, but they were clean.

But my questions are, I reserved, and I had in my mind one price, and when I checked in, I was not asked for a credit card or any information. When I checked my credit card account, I had a authorization from Clarion Hotels, a different chain. I almost called and cancelled my credit card thinking it had been fraudulently used. But on further examination and speaking with Master Card, I discovered this charge was from the Crown Plaza Crawley. However, it was charged at a higher rate than I had in my mind.

So I went to check my reservation, this is the first hotel I have reserved in the IC group that did not provide a nightly price and taxes in the reservation email. So I logged into my IC PC account to pull up the reservation, the reservation was unavailable. When I enquired at the desk, I was treated like I was an idiot and was told me rate was this xx, which was approximately 10 pounds higher than I remember being quoted.

The staff was short, inexperienced and unknowledgable. Because I had so my questions primarily pertaining to the financial area, which can not be verified, the strange charges to my card under another hotel brand name. Makes me very dubious of this hotel, and I would say stay away.

1 Thank Nusiax
guestrelations4, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for bringing this to our attention. It is normal procedure to ask for a credit card authorisation on check in. We upgraded from Clarion to Crowne Plaza following a multi- million pound refurbishment programme and this is the first time this has been brought to our attention and we are now acting upon your comments in order to get this rectified.

All reservations booked through IC group and priority club should detail both average nightly rate (as rates are dependant on day of week) and total stay rate. Unfortunately with the information you have provided it is not detailed enough for us to investigate further.

Priority club benefits differ according to level and again with the information you have given us it is not detailed enough for us to investigate. However, you will be aware of the benefits as part of your membership details.

Whenever guests give us direct feed back, we are able to carry out more thorough investigations. However all feed back is extremely important to us and used as part of our continual service improvement programme.

Thank you once again for your feed back.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This hotel suffered some renovations recently that definitely changed my opinion about it.
With a classic simple decoration, the hotel it’s characterized by the Crowne Plaza’s favorite comfortable bed.
The room is a bit small, but enough for a night-stop… just be prepare to place your luggage somewhere in the floor and be careful not to step on it during the night! The bathroom was definitely my favorite thing with very simple yet modern design that made me forget its small size!
The staff, overall, is OK. No one was over the top but there wasn’t also a bad member.
Service in the bar took forever to happen and it would be nice if they actually have table service for at least food…
Quality of the food was good for a hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
guestrelationslgw, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments regarding our hotel and bedrooms. I am sorry the service in the bar was not up to our usual standards; however your valuable comments are used as part of our continual service improvement programme and have been passed to the Food & Beverage Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Netherlands
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I arrived on Tuesday evening, 27JUL, and went directly to the Priority Club check in area as I am a Priority Club Platinum Ambassador. The young lady working the desk was fairly quiet and uncertain, which was explained when I saw she had a "trainee" badge. Next to me was a gentleman who was completing his check-in and after showing his Priority Club Blue card, was told by the lady working the desk that he had been upgraded to a Club Room. As I was checked in, I asked about my room and I was sheepishly told that I did not get an upgrade as the hotel was suddenly full. When I then asked if I could then have access to the club lounge, the attendant disappeared after consulting with her colleagues (both trainees as well) and I was then told that the manager decided to grant me the access. After going to the room, which was standard, I went to the lounge for refreshments and later went back to the reception to ask for information about the area, i.e. restaurants and shops. The lady who helped me, Rozio, who I spoke to in Spanish (both our native languages), helped me, but without cracking a single smile and immediately spoke to me in "tu" instead of "Usted" which is not acceptable! Horrible faux pas. I asked what their policy was on Priority Club guests and when she confirmed the information about the complimentary upgrade for PC Ambassador guests, I asked her why I wasn't granted it but my neighbour, with a lower status was, and I was told that my PC information was more than likely not available on my booking on time. I was astonished as I booked a week earlier through the Priority Club website directly and it was mentioned on there. I also said it was a bit insulting that it was granted to someone else as I stood there and she just shrugged her shoulders and looked at me as if she didn't care one bit. No apologies or anything. She checked my card for the access to the lounge and said I already had it, so no worries. Internet access, typically granted to these rooms, that was unheard of - I had to buy it, which I refuse to do as it was not cheap and not the fastest connection either.

Due to this attitude and overall situation I was on the verge of checking out right away. I spend so much time travelling and have experienced many hotels worldwide and I was just fed up with the attitude of the staff at the reception. Plus I didn't enjoy the fact that my status wasn't recognised or even honoured; I had to point it out (which I hate to do, but when I show such loyalty, I expect a little something in return) and it was sad that I had to ask about everything.

All in all it could be a great hotel for those occasional travellers who stay a night or so, but it has certainly made me think twice about returning and I will warn fellow colleagues and travellers, who are in the same boat as myself.

2 Thank dp_visser
LGWUKGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us here.

Platinum membership and Platinum Ambassador membership within Crown Plaza will receive complimentary upgrades if a room is available at check-in. I have personally reviewed all arrivals. One base member was in a Club Room around the time you checked in but I assure you that the guest paid for the upgrade and was not given this complimentary. There were no further club room upgrades after you checked in. As our club rooms are extremely popular and demand for them often outstrips supply we do not pre-allocate prior to arrival as we feel this is the fairest way.

Club lounge access without a club room is not normally available but I hope by giving this to you that it showed that your status as a Platinum member was actually recognised. Internet access is available complimentary in the Club Lounge or WiFi is available elsewhere but is chargeable.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations of the complimentary upgrade but I sincerely hope you understand that on some occasions these are not available. As you will know the upgrade is not guaranteed.

Your comments have been shared with my reception team and I apologise for the manner in which you found the trainee.

I do hope you will return to us in the future.