My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights (from New Year's Eve thru January 5), using it as our base of operations during our entire stay in England--and could not have been more pleased.
We were a little concerned when the shuttle initially pulled up to the hotel on our first morning--as the property looks slightly shabby on the outside (it's much better at night--when bathed in purple lights). Our fears were instantly allayed once we stepped into the lobby--as the hotel is really very attractive throughout.
Tho' we arrived at about 7 a.m. (after our overnight flight from the States) and anticipated being able to do no more than drop off our luggage, we were delighted to find that they had our room ready and waiting and we were able to check in immediately.
When we needed to leave for a tour later that morning, the front desk (always friendly, helpful, and accommodating at ANY hour--day or night!) made all the arrangements to call us a cab--and had one there within 2 or 3 minutes!
Our room itself (a standard double) was tiny--but wouldn't have seemed so terribly cramped had we not had two enormous suitcases with us. I have to say that they have done the best possible job of maximizing the limited space! What it lacked in size, the room more than made up for in quality. It was beautifully appointed and decorated; had a very nice new flat TV; and an extremely comfortable bed (in which we only wished we'd had an opportunity to spend more time)! Wake-up calls were unfailingly delivered each morning exactly as requested--to the minute!
Some reviewers have expressed concerns about noise in the hotel--but I must say that we enjoyed total quiet the entire time--even on New Year's Eve. Tho' I gather (from having seen people in the restaurant, at the elevators, cars in the parking lot, etc.) that the hotel was reasonably full during our stay, we could have practically had the place to ourselves and never known the difference--as quiet and peaceful as it was. I never once heard noise from either the halls or any other room!
We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant ("The Cube") two of the nights we were there--and found the food both excellent and reasonably priced; the atmosphere of the restaurant itself was also quite nice.
We took advantage of the shuttle between Gatwick and the hotel each day--and, while it's unfortunate that it wasn't free (as hotel shuttles in the U.S. typically are), the 3 pounds per person each way was more than worth it in terms of the convenience that it offered us.
Our only disappointment came on the one night that we had time to take a dip in the hotel pool and jacuzzi--something to which we had really looked forward. Unfortunately, both the pool AND jacuzzi (tho' heated) were quite cold--barely room temperature at best. Because there was no warning of that, my wife was quite startled upon entering and thus contracted and injured her back--which dampened the remainder of our stay just a bit.
All things considered, however, we could not have been more pleased with our stay at the Gatwick Crowne Plaza. Having booked the hotel thru Expedia in combination with our flights, we were able to stay there for about $60 a night--which was really a steal of a deal--one of the sweetest I've ever encountered in my travels!
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others--as we had a very nice experience indeed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A striking, wing-shaped canopy soars above the entrance to the Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport hotel. You'll receive a warm welcome from our friendly Front Desk staff, who can direct you to your calming room or Suite. Revitalise and work out in the fully equipped gym, which is complimentary to residential guests. Dark wood and ochre create a stylish setting for business dinners in Cube restaurant, which serves modern English cuisine. Dine with up to 280 guests in one of our 11 vibrant meeting rooms or host board meetings in the chic executive boardroom. Upgrade to access the Club Lounge, where complimentary breakfast & drinks are served as well as canapes in the evening. A pre-bookable airport (taxi) transfer is available for £10.00, Based on 1-3 people in a car. Gatwick Express trains take 30 minutes to London Victoria station from London Gatwick Airport, while Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport is 5 minutes' walk from Manor Royal Business Park. Experience British summertime at the exotic Royal Pavilion and beach-side oyster bars of sunny Brighton, 30 minutes' drive away. You'll find wireless Internet throughout Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, where your stay is worth celebrating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport Hotel Crawley
- Crowne Plaza Crawley
- Crawley Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport Crawley, West Sussex