“Poor stay away”

Ranked #15 of 17 Bolton B&B and Inns
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Poor stay away”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Needed to stay in Bolton for an interview at the hospital, early the next morning. The Place is disgusting. Bed sheets dirty, noise was a major problem from the main road, didnt sleep at all. I Was under the impression tea/coffee was provided along with towels. Well how wrong was I. No table in the room, kettle sitting on the ground with no cups tea or coffee provided and no towel. I asked downstairs and was told they don't provide this.

The television hand no control providing ITV only.

Shared bathrooms, shower was dirty and roof leaking.

Stay away I have stayed in student halls in better condition

Room Tip: Dont book at this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 921redbull89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Five Star customer service - really outstanding! Clean, efficient and well managed; you will be looked after here. Thank you all at Tramways. Would recommend to anyone visiting the lovely town of Bolton.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tom M
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I needed to stay in Bolton and was looking for a Budget Hotel. I chose Tramways as it was just what I was looking for, and it wasn't to disappoint. If you're looking for a clean, friendly hotel that's low on cost then this is it!....next time I need to stay in Bolton, I need look no further!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jeremy F
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

had a fantastic stay here/the staff were superb..this hotel is spotless&kept clean to a very high standard/thanx Sonya&Andy..I will certainly be recommending this hotel..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank lee h
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This is not a hotel!! It's a hostel with shared bathrooms!! Should be called Shamways Hostel!!

The noise from the main road is loud, whether you shut the window or not!! The room is so warm with no fans or air conditioning - is it any wonder I can't sleep?!!!

The reason why we stayed here, they told it was a 10 minute walk from town when it wasn't!! More like 45 mins!! My fiancé had a job interview in Bolton town and we'd have been more rested had we stayed at home and drove up first thing!!

The place is more like a hostel and other people staying here have no consideration when talking loud in the corridor outside your room at 2am!!!

You do pay for what you get in this case!!

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Boofbeam
andrew c, Owner at Tramways Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
totaly inaccurate and never recieved a complaint from this person

Travellers are raving about these Bolton hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We originally come from Bolton although now live in Scotland, we booked the TRamways at the last minute, I have to say it used to be a bit of a dump- not anymore it was very reasonably priced and absolutely spotless- thanks for a great nights stay!

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SIAN76
South Shields
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Searching the Net, looking for a place to stay close to the Railway Music Venue to see Dan Reed in Bolton, I came across the Tramways Hotel.

If you're like me, you don't search for the most expensive, most opulent accommodation there is, you search for the most reasonable all round and if your visiting somewhere, a hotel or B&B quite near the venue or show is important. All in all, where ever I travel, I search for a good balance of fair priced decent accommodation and if possible, close to where I want to be. I usually use Travelodge with good rates anywhere from £19.00 upward but with the nearest being 6 miles away and the gig I came to see being very short notice, Travelodge was neither convenient nor cheap.

I always make a list of the nearest three B&B's, (paying on arrival) just in case of unforeseen events or a change in circumstances and I phoned the Hotel, expecting to arrive around 1.30pm and I was already running quite late, driving down from the North East. I knew the Tramways Hotel is on Blackburn Road in Bolton but I unfortunately took the wrong directions and ended up in Bolton Road, Blackburn... miles out the way. I felt totally lost and ened up getting directions from the inmates of what looked like a drug rehab unit! The manageress Julie was a star, constantly in contact by phone, until I got my bearings and with the help of a great guy (inmate) called Dave I made my way out of Blackburn and on the right road to Bolton. Julie told me she had a kids party at 4.00pm and need to go and pick up some items and kindly asked if once I arrived, if I would not mind waiting 20 minutes till she got back and having read the previous review, already noted the use of 2 mobile numbers at the top of the website, I knew this was a mobile run Hotel and with especially being late, I quite expected this. Once at the Hotel, Julie phoned again and said she would be a 5 minutes.

Once in the very large downstairs bar area, I immediately liked the look and feel of the place, signed in, paid and was given my keys. Three keys, one for the outer door, the inner door and your room door. Julie asked me where I was visiting and I said the Railway Venue for a gig that night. I was quite tired from driving so Julie and her husband Frank, offered to take me in their car, right there and then, to show me the route as they lived close by... so I knew where to go back later that night. Julie very kindly even offered to take me to the Railway Venue again once the kids party had finished when her and Frank went home but as I was going earlier, she kindly phoned me a taxi.

The gig was excellent, I met the most delightful of friends and the evening was just perfect. I lift back to the Hotel finished a totally FAB night. My Hotel room was a single room, about the size of the average house box room. There was no wardrobe, not that one was needed for a single room and the three hangers on the back of the door were more than ample for my 2 shirts. There was a small hand basin, a radiator with hanging rail, a slim free standing wall unit for your bits and bobs, a small flat screen TV, a chair, not that that was needed either and of course, a kettle and mug for your welcome tea/coffee. A set of towels, a bath towel and hand towel were below the small TV unit which you need to take with you to the toilet, shower facilities.

These facilities were located on the second floor at the end of the corridor where I stayed and inside the very large inner room, were three more rooms consisting of one long room with toilet and shower facilities. A single shower room and a larger single toilet... all of which were absolutely immaculately kept, in fact, my room and the whole Hotel was immaculate ...and I was so impressed, I had two hot showers...

I was told the Tramways Hotel is the former Tramways Pub and is situated right on the corner of the very busy main Blackburn road, with an equally busy side street. At tea time, the noise from the traffic and people walking by was very loud but once I got back at midnight and the window was shut, it was surprisingly silent and the single bed and duvet were so cosy, I had a great night sleep. I went for breakfast at 8.00 and although the full English was only £4.00 ...having explained to Julie that I have to watch my cholesterol, I was offered an alternative, tea/coffee, toast and cereal for just £2.50 Just what I wanted.

Check in anytime after 12.00pm and check out time is 10.00am and as I left at 10.00am Julie and Frank were already hard at work, cleaning and changing the rooms next to mine! I said how pleased I was with my stay and said I would definately come back...

The Tramways Hotel was exactly what I wanted and for £28.00 plus £2.50 for breakfast, I felt I got more than what I paid for... Julie and Frank were a delightful couple, very friendly and the service and accommodation was excellent. A line from their website say's "You won’t find better value hotel bed and breakfast accommodation in the Bolton area." ...and that is exactly right!

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for top quality buget accommodation and will most certainly be back in the very near future.

Dixie46