“Not the best example of a Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Reviewed 18 April 2014

On arrival at the hotel the gentleman on the front desk was not particularly helpful or friendly. Did not give us any information on leisure club facilities at all (we almost missed out on this as we were not made aware). We found the gym, but had to then go back up to reception to get a key to access (obviously we did not know this as nothing was explained) the key did not work, so again we had to go back up to reception for another key, this then let us in and we were able to use the gym, very small, just a couple of weight machines and treadmills, no mat area at all & no exercise ball, which was disspointing for me as I wanted to do some mat exercises but was not able to. Seemed to be a more male orientated gym in terms of equipment and heavy weights. Saw the pool, but did not use, looked rather small but a bonus to have a pool at all.The hotel itself and particularly the rooms are very tired and outdated, certainly no wow factor here...reminded me of a cheap motel and had a rather seedy vibe. Poor in comparison to other Holiday Inn hotels I have stayed at, this property is definitely due for a refurbishment. We rang reception to ask for a toothbrush and waited 30 mins for this...hardly a complicated request?? We rang and ordered room service, I had a somewhat tedious conversation with the lady who did not speak full English (why have them taking room service orders?), but eventually got there after a bit of repetition, she stated a wait of 15-20 minutes for the room service and indeed it was there within 15 minutes, and was fresh and appetising, no issues there. The following morning I rang down for some conditioner as we had none provided in the room...40 minutes later this was brought to us, as I had completely given up on the idea of a shower and was now leaving the room, quicker to go home and have one there! Not great customer service, either they don't have the staffing or the staff are not communicating efficiently, either way simple customer requests such as this should not take so long to be rectified. I stayed here on a reward night with my IHG points and was very underwhelmed, would have been more upset if I was paying full rate for the stay. In summary the customer service definitely has room for improvement here and the property would benefit from a much needed facelift.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cupcakelady186233
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your constructive feedback. I was obviously disappointed to hear of the issues which arose during your stay and would apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Whilst the Hotel is not undergoing any major refurbishment at the present time we are continuously updating and replacing items but I have noted your comments. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked about 10 weeks before a 1 night stay and got 2 twins for £47 each. The hotel is a couple of hundred yards from Bolton town centre, has decent parking and appears to be not very many years old. We didn't have time to see the leisure facilities but did have breakfast. Booked before midnight the day before, the price was £10 each and the choice was very good (fruits, cereals, toast & preserves, coffee, full cooked buffet etc).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments. I was pleased to hear that you found the Hotel location convenient to the Town Centre and that you enjoyed your breakfast and stay with us. I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too future and thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very out dated..uncomfortable bed..could do with a bigger car park.
Had a good pool area, which was very relaxing. .
Could do with free wifi in the rooms, wouldn't really stay again, not worth as it's too dark, dingy and depressing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I have noted all your comments and would like to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests. I was pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of the facilities we offer and had a relaxing time around the pool. The Hotel does offer two car parks which are complimentary to our guests, should both these car parks be full we do offer an overflow car park facility which again is complimentary to our guests. With regards to WiFi we do offer various packages which include complimentary WiFi together with complimentary WiFi to our IHG Reward Club Members, (which is free to join) and we offer a complimentary WiFi voucher in the main lounge area with any purchase from the main bar. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your constructive feedback. I hope that you will reconsider and choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very comfortable stay, pleasant staff, opposite the Genting casino which can be fun. Downside was that the internet was chargeable at £10 for 12 hours. Hotel like this should have free wifi or built into the price package.

Turn right after u exit the hotel and u will be heading towards the town centre.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback which is very much appreciated. I was pleased to hear that you had a very comfortable stay and that you found our staff to be pleasant. I have noted your comments regarding WiFi and we do currently offer complimentary WiFi to our IHG Reward Club Members (which is free to join) and also offer a choice of packages for our guests which do offer 24 hour complimentary WiFi. If you would like further information regarding any of these packages please do not hesitate to contact our Reservation Team. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here as part of a work trip so can't really comment on the costs but I can say the staff were more than helpful and he hotel itself was immaculately clean. My only criticism would be that the bed was far to hard and the quilt didn't really have any comfort to it. But saying that the hotel looked as it the rooms were being done up so maybe i just landed on an old bed? The full English breakfast was good if a little slow at being replenished. I wouldn't turn my nose up if I had to stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn Bolton Centre. I was pleased to hear that you found our Team Members were helpful, the hotel was immaculately clean and the breakfast good. I have noted your constructive feedback regarding the bed and quilt and have passed this on to our Head of Housekeeping. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel is right in the town centre of Bolton, fantastic location. My room was very clean, the bathroom was well lit, clean and the shower was lovely. The bed very comfortable and a choice of pillows! Breakfast was very nice with a choice of cooked food, cereals, and fruit. At breakfast we was welcomed by Alpesh who is very friendly and offered us hot drinks. There was no hash browns ready at breakfast but Alpesh spoke to the chef and soon brought us some to our table so we had fantastic service from him.

The swimming pool is a good size, and the sauna is lovely. It is a shame the Jacuzzi is no longer in use but my family and I really enjoyed our visit and we will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie109
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments following your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you had a relaxing weekend and were able to take advantage of our Leisure Club facilities.

It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on to all the Team, especially to Alpesh.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Called in for a coffee. £6. 60p for 2 small latte. I picked up the lounge Menu for food. I nearly fell off my chair. The prices were well over the top. £10. 95 for soup and a pannini. Caesar Salad with chicken £12. 95. Simple burger £12. 25. Cheese and Bacon Burger £13 45.Chicken Pizza £13.25.Fish and chips £13.95.Steak sauces £2 75. A bottle of wine £20 upwards. What a rip off. Will never ever go in there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for your constructive feedback which is appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to our guests and I have noted all your comments. We do monitor our prices on a regular basis to ensure that they keep parity with other similar establishments in the area. The Hotel does offer food which can be either served in the main lounge area or alternatively full restaurant facilities are available there is also the advantage of complimentary car parking and business and leisure facilities on site. I would like to take this opportunity to assure that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.