Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
The Mercury(Westhoughton)
View Hotel
All reviewsold churchcar parkreception staffbusiness tripfunction roomwould stay againcouple of nightswedding partya bit tiredwedding receptionbuffet stylestayed here for one nighttea and coffeeevening mealfamily roomcloistersluke
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went to a friend's wedding and was surprised by how individual the treatment was. The wedding hall was beautiful and the staff, very attentive. Bar expensive though!

When we checked in the reception staff were very friendly and helpful changing our room to a twin at a moments notice. Breakfast doesn't come as part of the room charge and it costs an extra £10 if you add it to your room charge but £14.95 if you pay in the morning.

The room was lovely, smelling a little of cleaning products when we first walked in but an open window soon took care of that and nice to know that they clean the room!!!

We ordered room service and it was very quick, efficient and tasty. A very nice man refused a tip when he delivered the meals but they do charge for delivery so I presume he gets that. A bit strange that they charge for delivery when that seems to be the whole point of room service. It's not as if you can go and collect it yourself! Very odd.

The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower gel and shampoo were lovely. Very powerful shower that nearly took the skin off my back! Loved it! Two hair driers one in the room and one in the bathroom. Very handy as there were two of us. Lighting a bit dim but we managed.

As mentioned earlier, the wedding venue is beautiful. I don't know the history but it seems to be an old church as the room is in the shape of a cross with a tremendous vaulted wooden ceiling and stained glass windows. The bar was quite expensive so did not go mad on the alcoholic drinks and stuck to soft drinks. Even so, a J2O and a coke cost £3.50! Probably be cheaper getting a pint. Delicious buffet by the way.

When we eventually got to bed, the beds were comfy and clean.

Breakfast was good. The usual choice of cooked, cereal etc. Nothing to write home about, just a hotel breakfast all presented nicely and the fried eggs were runny, just how I like them.

Check out was simple, no problems and quick. I had parked in the overflow car park the day before and did not realise I hadn't locked the car. Still there untouched the next morning so 10 out of 10 for security.

All in all, a bit like flying with Ryan Air as you pay for any extras as explained (still can't get over the paying for delivery of your room service) but a nice hotel and friendly staff. Would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: If they have a wedding on ask for rooms away from the venue. Can be a little noisy up to midnight
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments from which I was delighted that you had an enjoyable time. I have passed your comments on to all our Team Members as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference to your stay.

You are quite right the Wedding venue you were in is our Cloisters Suite and was originally a church, many of the original features have been retained such as the stain glass windows so makes a unique setting.

We do offer our quests various options when it comes to breakfast and can offer this inclusive in the price of your stay and if you would like further information regarding all our packages please contact our Reservation Team who will be able to offer the best package to suit your requirements for any future bookings you may wish to make.

I have noted all your comments regarding prices and have passed them on to the relevant Heads of Department for further investigation to ensure that we continue to keep parity with other similar establishments in the area. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel when you are next in the Bolton area.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Holiday Inns are a bit of a conundrum for me. Some are really quite good. Some are really quite poor. Sadly, I felt that this one, for me, fitted into the latter category. Don't get me wrong - I'm not talking catastrophic "don't stay there under any circumstances" levels. I'm just talking flat, tired, unhomely, bleurrghh. Reception was fine, although not inspiring nor particularly enticing. My room was one of the standard doubles. Not particularly spacious, but not too small either, really, although the bathroom, as in a lot of places, was tired and claustrophobic. The room itself was also very tired. Again though, not as bad as some. But just ... Uninspiring. It just doesn't make you happy to be there, you know? Dull. Bland. Doesn't make you feel comfortable, or like going to sleep. An upgrade would have been nice, of which, as a so called 'Platinum Elite' IHG Points Member, I am always in hopeful anticipation. But, as more often than not the case, none was forthcoming. The key, issue, though, was the noise level though. Not from the streets outside - they were reasonably quiet in the dead of the night, and the the room being on the top floor probably helped. But the constant 66 db low frequency rumble from whatever air conditioning or whatever machine that permanently perpetuates through the ceiling was the killer blow. Come 1.30am, it was time for the headphones and iPod to block it out, so that I could stand some chance of some sleep. So that was it. Tired is probably the key word to describe this place. And, unfortunately, after a night there, it was the key word to describe me too.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LordKM

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback following your recent stay which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you.

Obviously I was disappointed with some of the issues which arose during your stay and would apologise for any inconvenience which may have been caused. Whilst we do not currently have a full refurbishment programme at the present time we do update and replace as and when required. With regards to the noise issues you experienced I have passed your comments on to our Maintenance Team for further investigation and action where necessary. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Our Platinum Elite Reward Members you should have been offered complimentary WiFi together with a option to choose from complimentary drinks, points etc at check in and if that was not the case please accept my sincere apologies.

If you would like to discuss any of the issue your raised further with me please contact me on gm.hibolton@qmh-hotels.com with a note of your contact number and a convenient time for me to contact you.

Once again thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Enjoying a 'Point Break' stay with my partner for pleasure. Positioned in a run down part of town the outside architecture is unusual but the inside completely familiar. A previous review had warned us not to use the underground carpark as the spaces were small and I drive a large car so we used the adjacent overspill carpark instead.
Extremly friendly and accomodating receptionist at check in although unable to offer an extended checktout time past 11am although I usualy enjoy this privelage as an IHG Priority Club member.0ffered Breakfast at £15 per person or discounted at £10 each if booked before 10pm.We declined as not good value for money as was the Restaurant offering with best deal £29.99 for a meal for two with just a single glass of wine each. Needless to say the restaurant was empty however the bar area was full due to extremely loud prescence of a Wedding Party.
Later enjoying the 'Health Club Experience' was a dissapointment due to the need of a facelift.However the Suana and heated Pool were both excellant. We did not use the well equipped Gym.Totaly let down by a member of staff when seeking a soloution to no change for the changing room locker. He maintained completly unable to help as held a 'nothing to do with me attitude' as on Wedding Party Duty and merly taking water sample so not technically actualy there. When refered to a prominent notice suggesting help from housekeeping this was dismissed during an uneccesary explanation as to why the area had changed to unmanned recently and said notice was now irrelevant. No comment to my suggestion that if so it should perhaps be removed.
So in summary clean warm and friendly modern hotel within easy strolling distance to town centre but positive attitude of reception, more than happy to come to the room and programme four devices with the Wi-Fi code and correct a sticky heating thermostat, wiped out by the casual encounter with another when looking for a quick soloution to a simple situation.
Sorry but we wouln't choose to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade. Extremly possibly as Hotel under occupied.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan F
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us from which I was pleased that you had an enjoyable time. It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed you kind comments on to them as I know that they will be pleased to have made a difference.

With regards to our prices we do monitor these on a regular basis to ensure that we keep parity with other similar establishments in the area. However I have passed your comments on to the Heads of Department concerned for further investigation. We do offer a variety of packages to our guest which include breakfast in the price and if you would like further information regarding these for any future bookings you may wish to make please contact our Reservation Team direct who will be happy to arrange a package which best suits your requirements. With regards to our special meal deal the price of £29.99 including a glass of wine is between two guests and not each which equates for just less than £15 per person and hope that this clarifies the price.

Constructive feedback is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

I was pleased that you were able to take advantage of our Leisure facilities but obviously disappointed with the service you received which was certainly not up to the level which should have been afforded to you and has highlighted some training issues which will be addressed. Please accept me apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused.

I hope to you will reconsider and choose to stay with us again in future and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a wedding. Cost £53 for twin room without breakfast. Rooms very clean and a good standard. Air con, tv etc.
Would definitely stay here again and recommend.
free on site parking is a bonus!
And swimming pool ( Didn't get chance to use). Walking distance to the centre

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your review from which I was delighted that you had a brilliant stay with us. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recommendation to others.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and take advantage of our Leisure facilities. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Bolton Town centre to attend a wedding of a work college of my wife. The hotel was very clean,the check inn was fast and efficient,the staff were very friendly and polite. The rooms were clean and spacious. The night went very well but when breakfast came around that's when it went Pete Tongue!!
We got down stairs at approx. 9am to be greeted with a 20 min wait to be seated because of the sheer number of people wanting breakfast. We were even asked if we wanted to take our food into the bar. The seating area for breakfast was way too inadequate for the size of the hotel. At one point we were asked if we wanted to share a table with several other people,too which we declined. We eventually sat down and got on with breakfast. The queue for the hot breakfast was about 10 mins long and when we did get to the front there was very little on the hotplate. The kitchen staff couldn't keep up with demand and believe me they weren't rushing to refill the hotplate! Having said that the food was very good.
Possibly look at other alternatives now when booking a night away again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew T
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for your review and for your constructive feedback. I was pleased to hear that you found the hotel clean, check in efficient and our staff friendly and polite but obviously disappointed with the issues which arose at breakfast. I have asked the Management Team involved to investigate the issues further. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests. We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that you will reconsider when booking a night away again and choose to stay with us in the future.

Once again thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the issues which arose and for any inconvenience which may have been caused.