“Convenient and Classy”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Dungannon
“Convenient and Classy”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

When one thinks of Bolton what comes to mind? Most likely for those unfamiliar with the area, an industrial or post industrial landscape comprising of Victorian buildings.

This is the wrong image to have in mind when visiting this hotel. I found it to be a very convenient city centre hotel, complete with its own car park, that was easy to find in town.

The facilities are what one would expect from Holiday Inn, with comfortable rooms, a hearty breakfast and in this case even a gym in the basement.

What really makes this hotel stand out is the welcome you receive from the staff. Although it was late when I arrived, the welcome from Alicia was genuine, and she came across as really caring about whether or not I would have an enjoyable stay. The welcome was such that it was based on the caring disposition of the member of staff and this is not something that could have been achieved with training.

Credit to this hotel, with the warm welcome received it was worth the trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your review and kind comments following your recent stay which are very much appreciated. I was delighted you found are rooms comfortable, that the location was convenient for you and that you enjoyed a hearty breakfast.

It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on to them, especially to Alicia as I know that she will be pleased to have made a difference to your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Dieter Koch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Arrived Friday evening to a very friendly welcome by the reception staff. The room was very comfortable and warm. We went to a wedding reception and arrived back at 12-10am and had a drink in the bar, lovely staff again. Well done for customer service. Had breakfast the next morning, one of the best breakfasts we have had. Well Done Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Within Bolton centre, but never heard any noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review and kind comments from which I was pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on to all the Team.

Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

or the purpose of my review bias, for the last 12 years I have stayed approximately 100 nights a year in the Intercontinental / Holiday Inn Group chain.
Date of stay 13th May 2014
My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows:

1) Arrival was NOT straight forward using the Sat Nav (TOM TOM) instructions as the city now has many bus only areas that the Sat Nav tried to take me down. After a couple of circles of the town the hotel was finally located
2) On arrival at the hotel the check in staff (Natalie) was extremely pleasant and friendly. However it was noted as a Gold Priority club member I did not receive a free upgrade (which since Holiday Inn changed their membership programme this year has sadly becoming the norm). I did receive my free wifi voucher and choice of a 500 points voucher (most other Holiday Inn’s only offer 300 points ) or if you wish you may choose the option of a free drink at the bar instead.
3) All area’s including the bedrooms where always well kept, tidy and clean
4) As other travellers have commented this hotel is starting to show some area’s of wear and tear, but I understand a renovation programme is in the planning. My room (room 312) was clean and well maintained.
5) The rooms are what you would expect from a branded Holiday Inn. SEE the photos. As a Gold member normally I receive a free bottle of water and some biscuits or a chocolate bar, but neither was available here.
6) There are two on site free car parks, my advice is to use the outside car park (to the right of the hotel as you enter) as the underground car park to the left is quite tight.
7) Breakfast is an additional fee (£14.95 on the day or £10 booked in advance or voucher purchased at check in) The quality of the breakfast was better than your average Holiday In ; catering from the full English option to fresh fruit salad and yoghurts, sliced cold cuts and cheese, pastries and & fresh un-sliced artisan bread rather than the frozen sliced stuff served elsewhere in the chain
8) I did not use the evening meal service.
9) I used the gym facilities, which where clean, well maintained and air-conditioned but smaller than other Holiday Inn’s( I did not use the pool or the spa)
10) Location, The hotel is located just off the town centre, which was ideally located for my visit
11) Check out, was straight forward and hassle free. (Natalie once again)
In summary the hotel scores 7/10 for an average to good Holiday Inn that just needs some tender loving refurbishment and a few updates.

Room Tip: There are two on site free car parks, my advice is to use the outside car park (to the right of the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive and constructive review following your recent stay which is very much appreciated as it does help us to keep focused on what is important to you. I was pleased that your stay met with your expectation and that you had a good check in experienced but note that we have room for improvement.

It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on to them, especially to Natalie in the Reception Team.

Whilst we do not have a full refurbishment programme in place at the present time as you rightly mentioned we do update and replace items on a regular basis.

I have noted all your comments and would like to take this opportunity to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that you will continue to choose to stay with Holiday Inns in the future.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hi All, Just wanted to say a massive thank you to the Holiday Inn in Bolton. I was booked in to stay the weekend of the UK Ironman on the 20th July. Unfortunately due to injury i wont be able to compete. Full refund on my booking. Could not be happier. Strictly speaking it was a pre pay but the management realized the value of great customer service. You have kept a customer and i will be telling everyone what a great decision you made and you are definately top of my list for future bookings. Excellent customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your review and kind comments about our Customer Service. You are quite right in that normally our prepaid rates are non refundable and non transferable hence they are our cheapest rates available and payment is taken in advance of your stay. In exceptional circumstances such as the Ironman Event and due to your injury we made a decision that on this occasion we would make a refund to you as the next Ironman event will not be held in Bolton for another 12 months. As you advised us well in advance of your stay we were able to resell the room, however had you advised us nearer to the date unfortunately we would not have been able to make a refund.

Hope you make a full recovery from your injury and that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel next year for the Ironman Event if not before.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went to a friend's wedding and was surprised by how individual the treatment was. The wedding hall was beautiful and the staff, very attentive. Bar expensive though!

When we checked in the reception staff were very friendly and helpful changing our room to a twin at a moments notice. Breakfast doesn't come as part of the room charge and it costs an extra £10 if you add it to your room charge but £14.95 if you pay in the morning.

The room was lovely, smelling a little of cleaning products when we first walked in but an open window soon took care of that and nice to know that they clean the room!!!

We ordered room service and it was very quick, efficient and tasty. A very nice man refused a tip when he delivered the meals but they do charge for delivery so I presume he gets that. A bit strange that they charge for delivery when that seems to be the whole point of room service. It's not as if you can go and collect it yourself! Very odd.

The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower gel and shampoo were lovely. Very powerful shower that nearly took the skin off my back! Loved it! Two hair driers one in the room and one in the bathroom. Very handy as there were two of us. Lighting a bit dim but we managed.

As mentioned earlier, the wedding venue is beautiful. I don't know the history but it seems to be an old church as the room is in the shape of a cross with a tremendous vaulted wooden ceiling and stained glass windows. The bar was quite expensive so did not go mad on the alcoholic drinks and stuck to soft drinks. Even so, a J2O and a coke cost £3.50! Probably be cheaper getting a pint. Delicious buffet by the way.

When we eventually got to bed, the beds were comfy and clean.

Breakfast was good. The usual choice of cooked, cereal etc. Nothing to write home about, just a hotel breakfast all presented nicely and the fried eggs were runny, just how I like them.

Check out was simple, no problems and quick. I had parked in the overflow car park the day before and did not realise I hadn't locked the car. Still there untouched the next morning so 10 out of 10 for security.

All in all, a bit like flying with Ryan Air as you pay for any extras as explained (still can't get over the paying for delivery of your room service) but a nice hotel and friendly staff. Would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: If they have a wedding on ask for rooms away from the venue. Can be a little noisy up to midnight
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments from which I was delighted that you had an enjoyable time. I have passed your comments on to all our Team Members as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference to your stay.

You are quite right the Wedding venue you were in is our Cloisters Suite and was originally a church, many of the original features have been retained such as the stain glass windows so makes a unique setting.

We do offer our quests various options when it comes to breakfast and can offer this inclusive in the price of your stay and if you would like further information regarding all our packages please contact our Reservation Team who will be able to offer the best package to suit your requirements for any future bookings you may wish to make.

I have noted all your comments regarding prices and have passed them on to the relevant Heads of Department for further investigation to ensure that we continue to keep parity with other similar establishments in the area. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel when you are next in the Bolton area.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Holiday Inns are a bit of a conundrum for me. Some are really quite good. Some are really quite poor. Sadly, I felt that this one, for me, fitted into the latter category. Don't get me wrong - I'm not talking catastrophic "don't stay there under any circumstances" levels. I'm just talking flat, tired, unhomely, bleurrghh. Reception was fine, although not inspiring nor particularly enticing. My room was one of the standard doubles. Not particularly spacious, but not too small either, really, although the bathroom, as in a lot of places, was tired and claustrophobic. The room itself was also very tired. Again though, not as bad as some. But just ... Uninspiring. It just doesn't make you happy to be there, you know? Dull. Bland. Doesn't make you feel comfortable, or like going to sleep. An upgrade would have been nice, of which, as a so called 'Platinum Elite' IHG Points Member, I am always in hopeful anticipation. But, as more often than not the case, none was forthcoming. The key, issue, though, was the noise level though. Not from the streets outside - they were reasonably quiet in the dead of the night, and the the room being on the top floor probably helped. But the constant 66 db low frequency rumble from whatever air conditioning or whatever machine that permanently perpetuates through the ceiling was the killer blow. Come 1.30am, it was time for the headphones and iPod to block it out, so that I could stand some chance of some sleep. So that was it. Tired is probably the key word to describe this place. And, unfortunately, after a night there, it was the key word to describe me too.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LordKM
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback following your recent stay which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you.

Obviously I was disappointed with some of the issues which arose during your stay and would apologise for any inconvenience which may have been caused. Whilst we do not currently have a full refurbishment programme at the present time we do update and replace as and when required. With regards to the noise issues you experienced I have passed your comments on to our Maintenance Team for further investigation and action where necessary. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Our Platinum Elite Reward Members you should have been offered complimentary WiFi together with a option to choose from complimentary drinks, points etc at check in and if that was not the case please accept my sincere apologies.

If you would like to discuss any of the issue your raised further with me please contact me on gm.hibolton@qmh-hotels.com with a note of your contact number and a convenient time for me to contact you.

Once again thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies.

Dieter Koch

Travellers are raving about these Bolton hotels

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Enjoying a 'Point Break' stay with my partner for pleasure. Positioned in a run down part of town the outside architecture is unusual but the inside completely familiar. A previous review had warned us not to use the underground carpark as the spaces were small and I drive a large car so we used the adjacent overspill carpark instead.
Extremly friendly and accomodating receptionist at check in although unable to offer an extended checktout time past 11am although I usualy enjoy this privelage as an IHG Priority Club member.0ffered Breakfast at £15 per person or discounted at £10 each if booked before 10pm.We declined as not good value for money as was the Restaurant offering with best deal £29.99 for a meal for two with just a single glass of wine each. Needless to say the restaurant was empty however the bar area was full due to extremely loud prescence of a Wedding Party.
Later enjoying the 'Health Club Experience' was a dissapointment due to the need of a facelift.However the Suana and heated Pool were both excellant. We did not use the well equipped Gym.Totaly let down by a member of staff when seeking a soloution to no change for the changing room locker. He maintained completly unable to help as held a 'nothing to do with me attitude' as on Wedding Party Duty and merly taking water sample so not technically actualy there. When refered to a prominent notice suggesting help from housekeeping this was dismissed during an uneccesary explanation as to why the area had changed to unmanned recently and said notice was now irrelevant. No comment to my suggestion that if so it should perhaps be removed.
So in summary clean warm and friendly modern hotel within easy strolling distance to town centre but positive attitude of reception, more than happy to come to the room and programme four devices with the Wi-Fi code and correct a sticky heating thermostat, wiped out by the casual encounter with another when looking for a quick soloution to a simple situation.
Sorry but we wouln't choose to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade. Extremly possibly as Hotel under occupied.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan F
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us from which I was pleased that you had an enjoyable time. It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed you kind comments on to them as I know that they will be pleased to have made a difference.

With regards to our prices we do monitor these on a regular basis to ensure that we keep parity with other similar establishments in the area. However I have passed your comments on to the Heads of Department concerned for further investigation. We do offer a variety of packages to our guest which include breakfast in the price and if you would like further information regarding these for any future bookings you may wish to make please contact our Reservation Team direct who will be happy to arrange a package which best suits your requirements. With regards to our special meal deal the price of £29.99 including a glass of wine is between two guests and not each which equates for just less than £15 per person and hope that this clarifies the price.

Constructive feedback is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

I was pleased that you were able to take advantage of our Leisure facilities but obviously disappointed with the service you received which was certainly not up to the level which should have been afforded to you and has highlighted some training issues which will be addressed. Please accept me apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused.

I hope to you will reconsider and choose to stay with us again in future and thank you again for your review.