“Standard 3 star in the North West”

Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
London, United Kingdom
“Standard 3 star in the North West”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here this week, the room was ok, the bathroom slightly better, the breakfast was standard and it is situated across the city centre from the railway station (about £4 in a cab). All in all the friendly staff were the most remarkable thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better to avoid the traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments following your recent stay. It is always pleasing for me when our Team Members have made a difference and I have passed your comments to the them as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel when you are next in the Bolton area and thank you again for your review.

Dieter Koch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Holiday Inn has such a wide range of hotels in it's chain that you never really know what to expect until you turn up.

Room was comfortable, old style but comfortable. Internet was not included which was a little frustrating. Front reception staff were really fantastic (better than most).

Had both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant, on both occasions service was slow and the food nothing to get excited about. I think the waitress forgot to put my meal order in because my drink to 15 minutes. No big deal!

I'm unsure how regular this is, but when I stayed there was an 'open mic night'. For a hotel it was a really cool idea (something I would expect in a pub). Having been on the road for some time, it was a welcome change. Kudos for making the effort to do something different.

Bathrooms were dated but functional.

I would stay at this hotel again simply because it is close to business that I am connected with, but you would want to have a reason to be in Bolton to stay there. I've marked the location as poor, only because it's a very industrial area, although that said, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lifts... you can hear the little voice announcing that the doors are opening or c...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your constructive feedback which is very much appreciated. I was pleased to hear that you found our Reception Team fantastic and better than most and I have passed your kind comments on to them as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference to your stay.

I have noted your comments regarding the food and service issues you experienced in the restaurant and have passed them on to the relevant departments for investigation and action where necessary. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thank you for your feedback about our Open MIC nights which are held on the 3rd Thursday in the month. We have held them for a few months now and so far have received very positive feedback from our guests. Complimentary WiFi is now available to all our IHG Reward Club members and is free to join.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel when you are next in the Bolton area and once again thank you for your comments.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was on an overnight stay with work as I was attending a 2 day course at a near by hotel that was already fully booked. We arrived at 6ish and checked in, no hassle with this other than being stuck behind someone in a queue who had an issue with a booking.

Having been up since 5am and stuck in an over heated conference room all day at another hotel, I was looking forward to my relaxing night at the Holiday inn having stayed here previously about 3 years ago with work and having a good experience.

My room was on the 4th floor (430 I think but I may be wrong). The room was spacious with a desk and chair in addition to a table and chair plus the bathroom was clean and everything worked- not much loo roll but this is common place at many hotels and I always bring spare tissues! The room was very warm upon entry but I presumed this was due to the air con not being on until the guest arrives so I switched it on after I had a cold shower to cool me down and went and met my colleague for dinner in the restaurant. They had given us a complimentary glass of house wine as a thanks for booking in, this was a nice touch although being house wine was a bit plonkish! We had a starter and a main, mine was adequate fair for a hotel restaurant and as my work were footing the bill I was happy! I grabbed a bottle of blue becks at the bar and retreated to my room.

This was about 9pm and the room was red hot. I was shocked but thought it may have been my fault as I had left the door to the bathroom open and there was heated towel rack. So I ramped the air con to maximum chill and fan and took a long cold bath.

To my horror, the room was hotter than when I went in the bath after 90 minutes (I take long baths and read a book whilst in there!) Then I looked at the air con and as it was similar to what we have a work, I realised it was on heat mode! Aggh! However, unlike at work, there was no way to access the mode button to change it to cool!

Simple phone call to reception should sort this, so I thought! They sent up a young lad within 5 minutes and I showed him the problem. However, he said that there was no maintenance man in until the morning. Despite only needing an allen key to access the mode button, this would need to be left until the morning. Whilst I was in the room with the lad, he saw the room temp go up from 28.0 to 28.5C.

I aksed if I could change room. They were fully booked, they did try to see if one that was booked out the system to be cleaned was free but while that happened, the guest arrived to check in. The lad offered me a free drink, whatever I wanted so I got some more milk and some water (I didn't want any alcohol as I was already dehydrating in the sauna of a room!) He got me 3 mini fans which if anyone has a fan assisted oven will know, just helped to fan the hot air around! All the while the air con is off yet the room was getting hotter (the bathroom door was shut and the radiator off). Very noisy so he got me some ear plugs that didn't really do much other than annoy my ears!

I don't do very well in heat at the best of times and as I have asthma, I was worried about my health. I also can't sleep in noisy rooms that are light (if you look at my other positive reviews, I'm always pleased at a quiet and dark room! I also feel uncomfortable sleeping without a cover on even a sheet. Luckily being 4th floor, I could sleep without anything on but this is not something I like to do when not in my own bed!

At this point (about 12am) I asked the lad if there were any other hotel rooms in bolton they could get me to as I had another full course ahead of me that my work were paying a lot of money for me to attend. They tried but there wasn't anywhere. I guess there was a big event on that day in Bolton as I also looked online. They said I could sleep in the foyer/bar area if I wanted to. I said I'd get another cold shower and come down. The lad also said he would email the general manager and ask for the refund on the room and mentioned something about a free weekend to make up for it. This lad stayed with me for over an hour trying his best to help and I that is why the service is rated as very good- he was excellent but the rest were just ok.

I did and tried to sleep but couldn't, at this point, stressed out and overheated, I went down to the foyer but this was so noisy so I did a bit of reading for my course and emailed my boss to let them know what happened.

After an hour, it was noisy so I went back to my room and showered again (cleanest person in Bolton that night!). I eventually dropped off at about half 4 and woke up every so often with a start, I think I'd convinced myself I was ill at this point!

So 2 hours kip, felt sick so didn't manage breakfast and when I checked out the lady on reception knew nothing about it, not even the broken air con let alone any thing that the lad had offered - granted she had only just started her morning shift but I'd have expected a note on my room booking on their system!. Luckily I took photographs as proof as what proof would there have been?! Also, how would they have known to fix it for the next guest?! She said she'd get me 5000 points and refund my company the money for the stay. Then as my colleague was waiting to leave as we were pushed for time, I had to go so couldn't stay to see what this meant.

My points card arrived a few days later and my apology letter from the hotel who said there was an issue with the air con (you don't say....) and yes, they gave a refund for my work and 5000 points were put on my card.

So, what was 5000 points worth?! Nothing!!! I couldn 't even get a free torch with that! There were 2 places on offer for that but I wouldn't stay at either out of choice! I'd been hoping to cash in on a night stay in Crowne Plaza where I have had excellent sleep before, guess not! I certainly will not stay at the Holiday Inn bolton again and I have learnt that I need to also pack an allen key when I stay at a hotel in the future!

I've not left a bad review yet during my time of Trip Advisor because I prefer to talk about when things are above and beyond but I had to this time as this was poor. I think the Holiday inn need to consider changing the way their air con displays are and allow access to the guest to change what mode is required- it may ber a hot day and the heat is on or it could be a cold day when they have cold on- let us choose- we're the guests!

Hopefully you can see I have been more than fair as I have pointed out the good stuff- clean, big room and a good member of staff on during the night. hotel management- please consider the air con thing I suggested!

Room Tip: check the air con is working and then you'll be fine!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused what is important to you. Obviously I was very disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced with the air conditioning during your stay and would apologise for any inconvenience which may have been caused. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests. Your comments have been passed on to the Maintenance Team and will be addressed. Should you wish to discuss the matter further with me please email on gm.hibolton@qmh-hotels.com with a note of a contact number and a convenient time for me to contact you.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and once again thank you for your comments.

Dieter Koch

Travellers are raving about these Bolton hotels

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What can you say when ''ALL'' was perfect. Location, staff facilities and Smiling faces all day long...A big ''THANK YOU'' for making our 9 day stay with you memorable . This was our second time in three years. at this Hotel.... Dan

Room Tip: staff and service was exceptional. thanks to Jade in cafe,very attentive, and Rebecca Conray who...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and kind comments which are very much appreciated following your recent stay from which I was pleased to hear that everything was perfect. I have passed your kind comments on to all the Team as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference. Look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Had our wedding reception here sept 2012 in ashton suite
Fantastic wedding team
coudnt do more for us
then our room was stunning
big,clean ,
comfy bed clean bathroom
and we also then came valentines meal and stayfeb 2013
And our anniversary meal.and stayed sept 2013
we been here alot and always use holiday inn as
sentimental too
and the food second too none 1000% recommended for any event or stay mrs and mrs lee

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review and kind comments which are very much appreciated and have been passed on to all the Team. I was delighted that everything went well for your Wedding celebrations and that you continue to enjoy staying with us. Look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel and once again thank you for your comments.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

we have just returned from 3 days at holiday inn Bolton we live in Portugal and came to Bolton for our grandsons christening
we checked in no problem room was nice and clean the only thing we never got any toiletries in the 3 days we had one small bar of soap and 1 small bath cream these were never replenished in the 3 days

I think this was very poor for this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay from which I was disappointed to hear of the issue which arose, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused.

It is our policy to replenish the toiletries each day and I can only apologies once again that this did not happen on this occasion. I have passed your comments on to our Head of Housekeeping for further investigation and for action to be taken to avoid this happening again. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Basingstoke
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, clean, looks a bit tired in places. Room air con was broken and room a bit stuffy, clean, comfortable night , breakfast was good but they need to keep up with demand, eggs over cooked and out too long asked for fresh by the time they came out bacon all gone, replaced bacon, beans all gone, then black pudding and on it went, twenty mins to get breakfast. Think they need bigger trays or to keep a better eye on it. It is a holiday inn you get what it says on the tin

• Stayed June 2014
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you. I was disappointed to learn of the issues which arose during your stay and have passed you comments on to the various head of department for further investigation and action where necessary. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused. I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that you will continue to choose to stay with Holiday Inns again in the future.

Once again thank you for your comments.