“OK, not great”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
London, England
“OK, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Staff were very friendly. Food was OK - breakfast fruit was gone off (fizzy!) but general standard was OK. Twin beds were on wheels, which travelled a bit during the night. Air conditioning mysteriously switched off during the night, each night, so it must be set to do this centrally. Our room seemed to be above the kitchen and we were woken at the start of breakfast service each morning. Housekeeper ignored the Do Not Disturb sign at 9.30am, knocking on the door and barging in at the same time. Car park was full but they were able to provide a complimentary space at the Euro car park across the road. In general, it was reasonable standard, but I wouldn't rush back. (Having said that, I wouldn't rush back to Bolton anyway, regardless of the hotel)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you. I have noted all your comments and have asked the relevant department to investigate further and to take action where necessary. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused. I would like to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that you will continue to choose to stay with Holiday Inns again in the future.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Dieter Koch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very disappointed with the hotel WiFi costing us money as we weren't staying a week there. The breakfast was great with a nice variety of foods. It is close to a nice large mall if you are in need of shopping.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I was pleased that you found our breakfast was great with a nice variety of food and our rooms OK. We currently offer free WiFi to all IHG Reward Club Members which is free to join and offers members many benefits which can be used worldwide. I hope you find this information useful for any future reservations you may make with Holiday Inns.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future when you are next in the UK and Bolton area and once again thank you for your comments.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The standards expected of Holiday Inn were maintained. Good, quiet, clean room, free Wifi, good food, free car park and good access from dual carriageway. All one needs no difficulties. Online booking very convenient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your most recent stay from which I was pleased that everything met with your expectations and that we are able to provide all you need.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and once again thank you for your kind comments.

Midlothian
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very disappointing. Having stayed in Holiday Inns across the world this place fell far short of expectations. In particular the bedrooms were small, dated and dingy. Food was average. Would not recommend or stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback following your recent stay. I was obviously disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your constructive feedback.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I am on a business trip, I travelled from Scotland and had an accident (not serious, just a bump) on the way to the hotel but was a little but frazzled. Got my days for booking wrong so there was no reservation that I'd made through the third party website.....it was all a bit stressful.

Arrived at reception and the lady could not have been kinder, she even recognised my situation and offered me complimentary extras and I have to say as a lone female traveller I was genuinely touched by her concern and kindness. I even tried not to cry and feel sorry for myself!

I have a customer service background and I notice that every member of staff in this hotel, regardless of their role, makes eye contact with you (especially when you look fried like me). The room service staff were also really friendly and upbeat and its just such a welcoming relief from other non-personable places I have stayed in.

Rooms are nicely decorated and faultlessly clean and also a reasonable price.

If you want to feel like you are being looked after in somewhere comfortable and clean, then book here; there is a reason that so many posts are mentioning the staff.

1 Thank MissDebsy
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments. I hope your car issues have been resolved and that you are fully recovered from the incident. I was delighted to hear that our Team Members were able to take away some of the stress you must have been feeling. It is always pleasing for me when our Team have made a difference to your stay and I have passed your comments on to them as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference.

Once again thank you for your review and recommendation. I hope to be able welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The staff were wonderful, our room was well appointed for a lower cost hotel however the bed was very soft which does not suit me and gave me back pain resulting in little sleep.

Breakfast was an extra £10.00 per person (paid in advance, I believe it is nearer £15.00 pp if purchased on the day) and although we went in not too long after they had started serving the food was both overcooked and dried under the heat lamps which was a shame as there was a really good selection and it should have been a great breakfast. The Orange Juice was also watered down although the coffee was good and freshly made.

They have a direct link for taxis which were very quick to respond and very reasonable rates.

The best part of this hotel were the staff who were polite, friendly, warm and efficient, I cannot praise them highly enough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harry L
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and constructive feedback following your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you found our staff to be polite friendly, warm and efficient and I have passed your kind comments on to them as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference to your stay. I have noted the issues you experienced with breakfast and have passed these on to our Head Chef and his Team for action. Please accept my apologies that this was not up to the required standard. I would like to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future. Once again thank you for your review and comments.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here this week, the room was ok, the bathroom slightly better, the breakfast was standard and it is situated across the city centre from the railway station (about £4 in a cab). All in all the friendly staff were the most remarkable thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better to avoid the traffic noise