“2014 Ironman stay”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Leicester, United Kingdom
“2014 Ironman stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is very well situated close to the city centre (about 5min walk). The staff at the hotel, whatever their position, were very polite, friendly, caring and attentive. We booked two non-smoking rooms. Room one was fine, but room two was a previous smoking room. The room wreaked of tobacco smoke even with the window open and there was an ash tray in the room! You cannot turn a room into a non-smoking room simply by putting a sticker over the smoking sign on the door! This was my husbands first Ironman and he was greeted with 'good luck ' cake and a helpful information pack. He was also offer secure storage for his bike. Breakfast was from 2.00am on race day with all the right kinds of food on offer. We had dinner in the hotel the previous evening and this too was targeted at Ironman really well, with lots of fresh pasta dishes salads and vegetables on offer and the fresh fruit desserts were lovely, lots of variety. The hotel is very quiet and relaxing but corners are cut. For example, the bath water is set at 46C and is really only just warm, the toiletries are sparse, towels were lovely though. If you are thinking of doing an Ironman next year this is a really good place to stay, well catered for, quiet and close to the finish line. The staff are great, the bar was fine and the food good. Just needs those few little touches here and there but for the price its not bad, somewhere I would recommend for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Go for rooms at the front of the hotel, the views are not so good at the back, namely a brick wall o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your review and recommendation following your recent stay for the Ironman Event from which I was pleased that overall everything went well and that you found our Team Members to be very polite and friendly and were caring and attentive. I have passed your kind comments on to al the Team as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference.

I have noted your constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you and have taken them on board. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests. With regards to bedrooms in order for us to accommodate Ironman competitors away from any possible noise disturbance we allocated our fourth floor of which some of the bedrooms are smoking rooms however these bedrooms were taken out of service one week prior to the event for deep cleaning of all furniture, curtains and carpets, redecoration and new bedding used so we were obviously disappointed that our efforts did not meet your standards.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel maybe to Ironman next year if not before and once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Dieter Koch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Greek first
Kildare
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Excellent stay, lovely hotel, very accommodating staff, especially Sanja !!! This was my husbands first ironman and was unsure what to expect, but hotel staff had it all sorted, when checking in, they had lovely bread for ironmen and kept us all on same floor, which was lovely and quiet. We opted for inclusive package, food was gorgeous and exactly what we required. On check in the hotel had given us a pack with all the information we would require. On the morning itself, they had breakfast from 2.30 and then even had take away tea/coffee/water, bananas, cereal bars etc and again when we arrived back, there was a huge welcome from all the staff !! The hotel is in a fab location, as its within 5 mins walk even post ironman from finish line. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone competiting in ironman !!!

Room Tip: If booking ironman ask to stay on same floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michaelad602
Thank you for your review and kind comments following your recent stay for the Ironman Event from which I was delighted you found our staff to a very accommodating, especially our Food and Beverage Manager Sanjay. It is always pleasing for me when our Team have made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on to them, especially to Sanjay.

I was pleased that you found our information pack useful and that all the facilities we had in place worked well for you.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel for Ironman next year if not before. Once again thank you for taking the time to write.

London, England
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Staff were very friendly. Food was OK - breakfast fruit was gone off (fizzy!) but general standard was OK. Twin beds were on wheels, which travelled a bit during the night. Air conditioning mysteriously switched off during the night, each night, so it must be set to do this centrally. Our room seemed to be above the kitchen and we were woken at the start of breakfast service each morning. Housekeeper ignored the Do Not Disturb sign at 9.30am, knocking on the door and barging in at the same time. Car park was full but they were able to provide a complimentary space at the Euro car park across the road. In general, it was reasonable standard, but I wouldn't rush back. (Having said that, I wouldn't rush back to Bolton anyway, regardless of the hotel)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you. I have noted all your comments and have asked the relevant department to investigate further and to take action where necessary. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused. I would like to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that you will continue to choose to stay with Holiday Inns again in the future.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very disappointed with the hotel WiFi costing us money as we weren't staying a week there. The breakfast was great with a nice variety of foods. It is close to a nice large mall if you are in need of shopping.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I was pleased that you found our breakfast was great with a nice variety of food and our rooms OK. We currently offer free WiFi to all IHG Reward Club Members which is free to join and offers members many benefits which can be used worldwide. I hope you find this information useful for any future reservations you may make with Holiday Inns.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future when you are next in the UK and Bolton area and once again thank you for your comments.

London
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The standards expected of Holiday Inn were maintained. Good, quiet, clean room, free Wifi, good food, free car park and good access from dual carriageway. All one needs no difficulties. Online booking very convenient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your most recent stay from which I was pleased that everything met with your expectations and that we are able to provide all you need.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and once again thank you for your kind comments.

Midlothian
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very disappointing. Having stayed in Holiday Inns across the world this place fell far short of expectations. In particular the bedrooms were small, dated and dingy. Food was average. Would not recommend or stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback following your recent stay. I was obviously disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your constructive feedback.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I am on a business trip, I travelled from Scotland and had an accident (not serious, just a bump) on the way to the hotel but was a little but frazzled. Got my days for booking wrong so there was no reservation that I'd made through the third party website.....it was all a bit stressful.

Arrived at reception and the lady could not have been kinder, she even recognised my situation and offered me complimentary extras and I have to say as a lone female traveller I was genuinely touched by her concern and kindness. I even tried not to cry and feel sorry for myself!

I have a customer service background and I notice that every member of staff in this hotel, regardless of their role, makes eye contact with you (especially when you look fried like me). The room service staff were also really friendly and upbeat and its just such a welcoming relief from other non-personable places I have stayed in.

Rooms are nicely decorated and faultlessly clean and also a reasonable price.

If you want to feel like you are being looked after in somewhere comfortable and clean, then book here; there is a reason that so many posts are mentioning the staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MissDebsy
Dieter K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your kind comments. I hope your car issues have been resolved and that you are fully recovered from the incident. I was delighted to hear that our Team Members were able to take away some of the stress you must have been feeling. It is always pleasing for me when our Team have made a difference to your stay and I have passed your comments on to them as I know they will be pleased to have made a difference.

Once again thank you for your review and recommendation. I hope to be able welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Dieter Koch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
#2 of 13 in Bolton
Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Bolton Centre? Share your experiences!