“Noise noise noise!!!”

Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Following a day of travel, we returned to the hotel 8pm to go to bed. When we entered our room, we were aware of thumping music from below us. We could hear the song lyrics in our room ( we couldnt even hear the tv properly over it). We went back downstairs to the reception area. Another guest was complaining about the noise in his room and he was told that there was a wedding on at the hotel. When the guest asked why the wedding guests staying at the hotel were not put into the rooms above the wedding reception, he was told by the manager that no wedding guests were staying at the hotel.

We stayed in the bar area to watch tv for an hour, before going back to our room at about 9.30pm. The noise was still excessive. The floor was even vibrating with the thumping music. We phoned down to reception and were told that there was nothing that could be done as there was a wedding on. I asked to speak to the manager. He said he would ask for the music to be turned down. After 20mins there was still no change to the volume of music. I phoned the manager again. He said there was nothing more he could do. I then asked to move room. He said this was impossible as the hotel was fully booked. He said that there were no rooms as they had been booked out by the wedding guests. This totally contradicted what he had told a hotel guest earlier that evening. He also said that if we had read the hotel website, we would have seen a comment about it being a city centre hotel and guests should expect some noise from such a location!!!!!!! He said the only thing he could do was refund £20. He then said he could find us another hotel in the area. By this time, it was after 11pm.

After considering this option we decided that, as there was no chance of us sleeping with the thumping music continuing, we would be better off in another hotel. I phoned the reception manager back and asked him to find us a new hotel. He phoned back within 10 mins to say he had miraculously managed to find us another room in the hotel and we could move there for the night. He also said he would take a note of everything that had happened. We stayed in a room on the fourth floor that night.

The following morning, when we checked out, the reception manager on duty that morning said was unable to give us the promised refund as there was no record of what had happened. He said he would speak to the reception manager on duty on Saturday night and follow it up. We are still waiting for this to be resolved.

I never complain and never write to tripadvisor...but this whole situation is crazy and has made me really angry. To be totally honest, this has nothing to do with the money. I am only continuing to pursue a refund as I am not prepared to let what has happened go. I have never experienced such things happening in a national hotel chain and am disgusted that it is now 6th November and this matter has not been resolved. It is utterly ridiculous to expect paying guests at a hotel to out up with that volume of noise. Furthermore, to comment to a paying guest that guests should expect noise in a city centre hotel as justification for a wedding reception blaring music from the hotel itself is also ridiculous. I am also not convinced that the hotel was full to capacity that evening as we saw very few other guests.

the room was fine - but I will never go again!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank reviewerGlasgow
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to learn that you did not receive the level of service which should have been afforded to you.

I am currently in the process of investigating the matter with the relevant departments and would like to take this opportunity to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests..

As you mentioned in your review we are a Town Centre Hotel and therefore there are some noise issues which are outside of our control. However we do try wherever possible to allocation rooms to guests who are not attending functions in the Hotel away from any possible noise disturbance which does not appear to have happened in your case. On our guests recommendations we have introduced complimentary ear plugs which are available in all our bedrooms and can also be obtained from Reception. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused during your stay with us.

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and if you would like to discuss that matter further with me please do not hesitate to contact me.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Bolton Centre

Reviewed 29 October 2010

Booked this hotel as I had some PP points to use up, I was pleased I didn’t part with actual cash for the stay...

Booked in to a standard double room the main room area was clean enough, although the TV didn’t really work and the bed was a tight double...

The bathroom really let the whole experience down with broken tiles and dirty surfaces, but from previous experience this is a standard holiday Inn thing to expect. Unless you find a newly decorated one.

We were pleased to see the hotel had a pool and sauna. But I wouldn’t get your hopes up, the whole pool area was really dirty with a wooden box over the Jacuzzi and filthy changing rooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to learn that the standard of cleanliness you encountered during your stay was not up to the standard expected. All of your comments have been noted and have been passed to the relevant departments for action. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention and hope that this will not stop you from choosing to stay with Holiday Inn again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2010

Room was roomy enough and well enough equipped without being exceptional. handy location just on edge of main shopping area but easy to drive to and with a lot of parking. Very efficient check in/out. Was relatively cheap and would use again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2010

Thanks very much for your comments. I was very pleased to hear that everything went well during your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I came here with a leisure group and first impressions were good. However no-one could replace a light bulb or battery in the safe in my room. I changed to another room eventually but it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. The cleaning staff were great but let down by maintenance issues.
Very expensive bar staffed by untrained but willing bar staff, bought me red when I asked for sauvignon blanc.
Lack of organization meant meal service tended to the shambolic. Young duty manager on last evening and next morning working his socks off to feed our party and a business group in adjacent suite. Well done he!

• Stayed: October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you found the Housekeeping Team to be great and that the Duty Manager worked hard to accommodate you. I have noted all your concerns and have passed them on to the relevant departments for action.

We have recently recruited extra staff members who are currently being trained to cover a very busy Christmas period, which starts for us at the beginning of November. Please accept my apologies that you were served the incorrect drink this should have been checked by an experienced staff member before service.

I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thanks again for bringing these matters to our attention and I hope this will not stop you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

Spent 3 nights here, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Reception was great, room was ready. Small problems with room, bulbs out and AC not working. Maintenance Man Bob was an absolute diamond, nothing was too much trouble, everything sorted quickly but couldn't get AC to work, so he immediately orgainised a room change, and helped us move next door. Well done Holiday Inn you have a treasure there, and many thanks to Bob.

I would add that I found the room a little 'snug' for a Holiday Inn, more 'express' size. Kept bumping into the basin when walking into the bathroom.

There was a wedding reception Saturday evening, no problems with noise. Sunday there was a Wedding 'Show' only problem there was that the Car Hire Company used the only 2 disabled parking bays to display their cars.

Breakfast comes highly recommended, plenty of choice, and hot food was just that Hot!!.

Did not use Lounge/Bar/Room Service so cannot comment, but all in all I found this hotel superb and would definitely recomend. Despite its ' City Centre location, noise was not a problem for us.

My one gripe - I booked online and a week prior to my visit I need to add one extra night. I did this too online, and somehow ended up with my original booking + the extra day and another completely new booking for all 3 nights. Obviously I did something wrong, so I telephoned the hotel immediately, and when I spoke with Reservations I did find the person I spoke with rather 'abrupt' firstly telling me that I would have to book the extra day seperately and that my booked rate (for the erroneous 2nd booking) would have to be paid for even if I cancelled, but that on this occasion she would allow me to cancel, although she really should not!). Must admit I felt somewhat apprehensive until I arrived and found all was ok with my reservation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2010

Thank you for your review following your recent 3 night stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that despite a few issues with your room when you arrived we were able to rectify things for you and that you had an enjoyable stay. It is always pleasing from my point of view when a Team Member has made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on, especially to Bob.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to focus on what is important to you. All comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests and we have recently introduced complimentary ear plugs for our guests who are disturbed by Town Centre noise based on feedback received.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Have stayed at this hotel several times when taking our mother to visit relatives and friends in her old home town of Bolton. It is very well situated near the centre of town. Every time we have had a problem with our booking. This time the duty receptionist told us that we should have booked direct with the hotel rather than online as then we could have had our choice of rooms (as I had requested on the booking confirmation I brought with me). I said that surely it was up to us who we booked with and that the hotel must have arrangements with agencies to pass on information but apparently not.

We went to breakfast the next day and the duty manager said that we were not down on his list for inclusive breakfast. I again got our my confirmation booking and showed him that our booking was inclusive of breakfast. For a full 10 minutes he proceeded to question us about our booking and wanted to take away the booking sheet to reception but I told him I had already shown them. By that time we felt awkward and I said did he mind if we now had our breakfast as we were here on a few days break and he was spoiling our day.

We sent for room service on the second day as mum was tired. We ordered jacket potato with bacon and cheese. When it arrived there was only one knife and fork and the cheese was virtually not existant -one sliver on top of the bacon and the potato was almost cold. Anyway after a few minutes the room service man came back and asked us to pay for the meal by cash as he couldnt put it on our bill as our type of booking wouldnt allow it. At the time I showed him the potatoes and asked if we could have some more cheese - didnt mention they were cold as I felt sorry for him - he was only young and very pleasant (Daniel I think). He brought a little ramakin size amount of cheese up !! By this time he looked quite exhausted and had to go down again to bring my change up !

The restaurant staff need to be a bit more cheerful and attentive - once we got asked if we wanted a drink of tea or coffee and the other days none of the staff seemed interested. It would make a big difference if they were a bit more friendly.

The bar staff were friendly and helpful. The kitchen staff kept walking around at night with their dirty tea towels hanging out the back of their trousers which wasnt very nice - there were two wedding parties on while we were there too and I am sure this doesnt look good for the hotel. The manager needs to organise the staff better.

Anyway to finish off I reluctantly went over to check out at reception wondering what would happen and the young lady was very pleasant and duly told me that I didnt have to pay as I had already paid on the Thursday I arrived ! I said that that was news to me as the receptionist didnt ask me if I wanted to pay or even told me that I was paying up front for the three nights stay. So I looked at the receipt and realised they had now charged me VAT on top of my original amount which was supposed to be all inclusive. The reception manager was called and after about 20 minutes he managed to sort it out and refund the £60 taken out of my account without my consent on the first night we arrived.

A lesson to be learnt is that if staying at this hotel make sure you bring printed booking confirmation with you or you could be in trouble - or debt :) :)

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank WokingMary
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

Thank you for your review from which I was disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay.

I have investigated each issue with the relevant department heads concerned and would apologise for the service you received which was not up to the required standard and has highlighted some training issues which need to be addressed.

This is clearly not up to the required standard of service which should have been afforded to you and I apologise for any inconvenience or embarrassment this may have caused. We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that these issues will not stop you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2010

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel - helpful staff, perfectly adequate room, breakfast very good, bar food good enough. Nice, spare, light environment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

Thanks for your comments. Pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the Hotel, the nice light environment and that you enjoyed your breakfast and bar food. It is always pleasing to me when our staff get a mention so was delighted to hear your found them to be helpful. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.