All reviewscourse mealcoach holidayvisited this hotelwould stay againbit datedblack puddingcomfy bedexcellent value for moneygood nights sleep
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at the Britannia Hotel Bolton on a 1 night Wine, Dinner, Bed and Breakfast midweek deal for £75.50 in an Executive Room, visiting family in the area. Having stayed at other Britannia hotels we did find this hotel basic but the deal was fine for 1 night. The executive room was really quite small with wooden shutters across the window wall, we could not open the window beyond an inch or so, probably as we were on the ground floor and we did find this stuffy. The location in quiet, pleasant surroundings close to the motorway with plenty of free parking. Dinner was served with tea and coffee although not sure if this was for the coach party. The drinks at the bar are reasonably priced around the same as the pub nearby and they had a happy hour.
Wine was very nice and dinner normally served until 8.30 - we arrived at the restaurant at 7.15 and were asked to eat straight away as the restaurant was closing earlier. Seemed that the other guests had already eaten and the food had been cleared away already. Should have eaten earlier with everyone else. The starter, soup was nice the main choice of Plaice or Chicken escalope - no potatoes left so we had chips. Unfortunately the Plaice was watery, veg cold and chips hard. Gateaux and cream for desert which was ok.
Breakfast however was good, plenty of choice both hot and cold.
Staff were very hospitable. Rooms very clean, the hotel warm and the bed comfortable.
Would recommend this as a budget hotel for a short stay B&B only and suggest the hotel provide freeview - cant remember the last time we stayed at a hotel with such limited terrestrial TV channels.

On the whole a comfortable nights sleep and a pleasant breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PennyRon
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Although it was quite some time since we stayed here we got a really good deal and thought why not. I have to say on arrival I did think it could do with a bit of an upgrade but the room was clean and the staff were very friendly. The deal we had was for 2 nights including Dinner, a bottle of wine and breakfast for a very good price. We were a little sceptical about the food with it being so cheap but again we were pleasantly surprised on both evenings with the choice and quality of food. Breakfast was a typical help yourself type buffet but again was nice enough. We paid a visit to the Octagon Theatre to watch Romeo and Juliet which was a nice experience. Would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Delly75Blackpool
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews, but thought I would give a go. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean but very dated. The room was in the 80's style, but needs a refurb.
I ate in the bar as the restaurant was very busy due to the arrival of 3 coaches of tourists. The food was just ok, but I was Starving, so it went down a treat.
The hotel is in an excellent location, and if the owners spent some money on doing it up, it would do very well.
Staff were friendly, when you managed to find one, as they were all very busy in the evening. Breakfast was the standard help yourself style, but it was good.
For a one night stay it was ok, but wouldn't want to stay longer, as the room was a bit depressing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank BarryDarwen
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel as part of a coach package. After reading reviews was slightly worried but to be honest pleasant surprised. OK the food was not that exciting but it was cooked well, soups and deserts were very good. Breakfast was just as you would expect and did not bother me that we had to do our own toast! It was fine with a choice of fried and scrambled egg which was all hot. The room was adequate if a bit small but was clean and the bathroom was quite new. The TV had only about 6 channels. Our package also included free drinks and overall cannot complain. Good location especially if driving with large car park. Staff were all friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bardob
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Having read the reviews I feared what might be in store for me when I checked into the hotel. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised at what I found.
The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was what you might expect when you order the traditional English.
My room was clean and had air conditioning.
The hotel needs a face lift as it does appear to be a bit grotty but for £43.00 pounds per night it was good value.
Eoin