“Great hotel! ”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel! ”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel with a friend and I can not sing its praises enough. Its in a brilliant location just a minute off the motorway and a 5 minute drive from the town centre or the football stadium and shopping park. All the staff were friendly and welcoming. On arrival we checked in at reception and were greated by a smiley receptionist. We then headed up to the room which was clean, light and airy. We then ate in the restaurant where again the staff were fantastic and the food was brilliant. The bar is reasonably priced and the bar staff also really friendly. We definitely felt really welcomed in this hotel. Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sambuca123
BoltonBoltonian, supervisor at Britannia Bolton Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Good Afternon, thank yu for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay we really appreciate it, we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and may i also take this opportunity to wish you and your all the very best for the future....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on a national express xmas market trip to Leeds and Manchester. Having read some of the previous reviews I packed my bedsocks and hottie and was prepared to be unimpressed. My friend and I booked single rooms which turned out to be doubles, on the ground floor and close to each other as requested. It was very clean, lovely and warm and the bed was comfortable. Had a lovely long hot bath before bed, fluffy towels and a warm bathroom - luxury.
However dinner let the hotel down, 3 choices, 2 fried ( chicken or fish) and veg. lasagne which was mostly the latter. Minestrone soup was tasty and hot with crusty bread. followed by gateau or tinned fruit salad then coffee. There was a happy hour from 4 - 8pm with drinks for £2 40, beer, wine and spirits.
breakfast next morning was better, both continental and traditional both serve yourself but tasty and substantial. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for what you want when booking as they do try and oblige
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank teddypat01
BoltonBoltonian, Supervisor at Britannia Bolton Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Good Afternoon many thanks to just for your kind comments for your stay here with us at Britannia Bolton, we would love to welcome you back in the very near future, and may we take this opportunity to wish you and yours all the very best for the future......
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here as part of my 60th birthday celebrations which were held in Horwich. I arranged to meet my son, his fiance, their baby and her dad and his partner who drove up from London, to attend the party, at the hotel. My wife and I travelled from Blackpool.
I was paying for my son's room but the hotel receptionist wouldn't let them go to their room until I actually got there and handed over the dosh. This is odd as most hotels take an imprint of your card and then you pay as you check-out. Not so at the Britannia. I realise that rules is rules and all that but I would have thought they would have taken pity on a young couple with a small baby. But they told me the receptionist was frosty-faced and hardly acknowledged them leaving them standing at the check-in counter while she typed away. Not good by any standards. I know they were angry and embarrassed by the receptionist's attitude and while I appreciate it's only a budget hotel it costs nothing to give a smile and offer a little help to a tired young couple with a babe in arms.
Anyway that said the rooms were clean but as other reviewers have indicated they all need updating. The corridors and stairs need attention as well. We slept well and the buffet breakfast was adequate. Would we recommend it? Only if - as it was in our case - other local hotels were fully booked up.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wes W
dunston
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at the Britannia hotel Bolton for 1 night on a National coach tour to see Jane Macdonald at Blackpool Although the tour was very reasonably priced we found we had to rush for our meal at 4oclock as we had to get to Blackpool in time for the show The food itself was like school dinners with frozen fish battered chicken and no other choice but chips and although stated on the menu we were told there was no vegetarian option Having said that it was adequate The room was freezing with no heating the restaurant was extremely cold when having breakfast. I must say the breakfast was very good but as we were so cold we couldn't enjoy it I did go to reception to let them know but there was never anyone there. When we returned from the show on Saturday night there was two coach loads of people who nearly all were in need of a night cap we were told the bar was closed as there was no one to man. it there was a lot of disappointed people but I must say the actual coach tour was great. Dale our driver could not do enough for us thanks Dale from the sisters from Gateshead

Room Tip: bring a hot water bottle and your own night cap.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kathersdunston
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at the Britannia Hotel Bolton on a 1 night Wine, Dinner, Bed and Breakfast midweek deal for £75.50 in an Executive Room, visiting family in the area. Having stayed at other Britannia hotels we did find this hotel basic but the deal was fine for 1 night. The executive room was really quite small with wooden shutters across the window wall, we could not open the window beyond an inch or so, probably as we were on the ground floor and we did find this stuffy. The location in quiet, pleasant surroundings close to the motorway with plenty of free parking. Dinner was served with tea and coffee although not sure if this was for the coach party. The drinks at the bar are reasonably priced around the same as the pub nearby and they had a happy hour.
Wine was very nice and dinner normally served until 8.30 - we arrived at the restaurant at 7.15 and were asked to eat straight away as the restaurant was closing earlier. Seemed that the other guests had already eaten and the food had been cleared away already. Should have eaten earlier with everyone else. The starter, soup was nice the main choice of Plaice or Chicken escalope - no potatoes left so we had chips. Unfortunately the Plaice was watery, veg cold and chips hard. Gateaux and cream for desert which was ok.
Breakfast however was good, plenty of choice both hot and cold.
Staff were very hospitable. Rooms very clean, the hotel warm and the bed comfortable.
Would recommend this as a budget hotel for a short stay B&B only and suggest the hotel provide freeview - cant remember the last time we stayed at a hotel with such limited terrestrial TV channels.

On the whole a comfortable nights sleep and a pleasant breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PennyRon
Blackpool
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Although it was quite some time since we stayed here we got a really good deal and thought why not. I have to say on arrival I did think it could do with a bit of an upgrade but the room was clean and the staff were very friendly. The deal we had was for 2 nights including Dinner, a bottle of wine and breakfast for a very good price. We were a little sceptical about the food with it being so cheap but again we were pleasantly surprised on both evenings with the choice and quality of food. Breakfast was a typical help yourself type buffet but again was nice enough. We paid a visit to the Octagon Theatre to watch Romeo and Juliet which was a nice experience. Would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Delly75Blackpool
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews, but thought I would give a go. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean but very dated. The room was in the 80's style, but needs a refurb.
I ate in the bar as the restaurant was very busy due to the arrival of 3 coaches of tourists. The food was just ok, but I was Starving, so it went down a treat.
The hotel is in an excellent location, and if the owners spent some money on doing it up, it would do very well.
Staff were friendly, when you managed to find one, as they were all very busy in the evening. Breakfast was the standard help yourself style, but it was good.
For a one night stay it was ok, but wouldn't want to stay longer, as the room was a bit depressing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank BarryDarwen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Travelodge Bolton Central River Street
Novotel Manchester West

Been to Britannia Bolton Hotel? Share your experiences!