“Perfect Birthday”
Review of The Strawbury Duck

The Strawbury Duck
Ranked #9 of 17 Bolton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Booked the Strawbury Duck for my mothers 70th birthday and right from the very start the staff were fantastic. We reserved 4 of the 5 rooms and asked for a reservation for Easter Saturday night for 10. We arrived mid afternoon and checked into the rooms. They were a brilliant standard, all en-suite with either baths or showers and fantastic views. The staff were more than helpful offering us glasses from the bar so we could enjoy a glass of champagne in our rooms, and when there was a small mix up with the room keys as a previous guest had left with them, this was soon rectified and my mum was offered her room free of charge! Superb customer service. Our table was reserved and we had the rear dining room to ourselves. The staff were happy for us to decorate it with balloons and banners and were fantastic throughout the service. There was a great range of beers, the food was amazing and the staff again were brilliant bringing in a cake for my mum that we had brought with us, whilst singing happy birthday! We all had a great nights sleeps and then enjoyed a lovely walk around the reservoirs the following day before returning to the Duck for a hot drink and to finish off the birthday cake. All in all, a perfect birthday - Thanks to everyone at the Strawbury Duck & see you again soon!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Visited many times always had excellent food and service, staff couldn't have been more helpful and always made to feel welcome. One of my favourite places to eat also very good value!
Rooms are finished to high standard and a good quality breakfast is included to set u up for the day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed here on December 27th with my husband after having a meal with our family.
Food was very good, plentiful, hot and received within a good time. My burger was undercooked
Slightly, however when I brought thus to the attention if the waitress I received another fresh meal (I'd already eaten the chips off the first meal)
The rooms are nice too, clean and modern. Breakfast was plentiful. This us the 2nd that we have stated here and will do again.
Hourly train service to manchester or Clitheroe from here is an added bonus. Mobile phone reception and internet is very poor, but that's not the restaurants fault.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Eider and Mallard
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

A group of walking friends booked a meal for when we finished our walk. Bar service was slow I ordered honey roast ham only received one slice + poor quality veg other people ordered beef it seemed that they were running out off meat over all quality was poor for what we paid sorry we won't be returning It DIDENT meet our usual standard . Pete from wacky walkers

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a nice rustic pub in beautiful lancashire countryside.
I, along with one of my fellow diners ordered the locally produced sausages and mash. For some reason my friend received almost double the portion of mash that I did. Chef needs to give equal portions !
The sausages were very good and the mash ok, a couple of lumps here and there.
Another friend had what he said was the best burger of his life.
Prices were ok and due to the olde worlde charm of this pub, I will return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Great pub, trad beers and food
Rooms clean compact but well appointed
Ordered "home made" pork pie, doubt it was, looked and tasted like shop bought, shame
Yes I would stay again, lovely atmosphere
A bit out in the sticks but that made it for me

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank davegirling
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here the other day and I must say it will be the last time, the room itself was fine and the views where great but the service is very slow. We checked in and came back into the bar for a drink but we had to wait ten minutes for somebody to come into the bar and serve us. Our friends came over in the evening for dinner but after a one hour wait in a quite restaurant we cancelled the food. We arranged to have our breakfast at 9am the following morning.

We came down for breakfast at 9am and found the pub to be locked up so yet again no food or service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family