“Very Cheap Former Travelodge - Served It's Purpose”
Review of Rivington Lodge

Rivington Lodge
Ranked #14 of 17 Bolton B&B and Inns
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“Very Cheap Former Travelodge - Served It's Purpose”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Needed to stop for a nap after a flight and long journey.

You check in at Spar in the service station. Welcome is not very friendly but the staff in that service station never are (don't know why I frequently stop there for fuel etc - probably wont on future).

Rooms are as they were when it was a Travelodge - dont seem to have been updated much and there are signs of wear and maintenance neglect but they were clean and served the purpose.

Slept well and felt refreshed in the morning.

What did irritate were the cheap air freshners placed in the entrance and corridors - they are horrible.

I would use this hotel again of I was on a long journey and tired. Was very cheap at £29.99

Checked in at 4am and checked out at 11am in May 2014.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Dirty is being kind, broken is being gentle. Shower curtain had its own dna. Pillow was like a rizla. Not worth it people look elsewhere! It's an old travel Inn or days that hasn't seen any tlc for 10 years oh and no reception check in via spar!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bolton hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

we booked for three nights although we live locally because our bathroom was being refitted. We had no option but to use the dirty bathroom at the Hotel and did try to stay overnight as the bed linen looked clean [ its only saving grace] but the bed had the worst mattress we had ever experienced. We gave up trying to get comfortable in the early hours and requested a room change. We were given an even dirtier room and bathroom, gave up and went home to sleep. We returned each morning to shower but avoided the mouldy shower curtain and filthy tiles!
We never want to experience that place again and would not have considered staying at all had we had any bathroom at home. It was disgusting.

Room Tip: avoid going to this hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

No reception check in at the spar, I stay away for a few nights a week and this is the worst I have stayed in, the bed was so uncomfy the springs I could feel every time I moved, and a couch a fly tipper left on his way past, the place just felt dirty, and the windows are so thin so can hear the cars passing all night, avoid if you can.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Bathroom was DISGUSTING! When I complained, the treatment from staff at the Spar counter/hotel reception desk was horrific! There was no manager at the hotel and I could only make my complaint to the manager. When I tried to call the manager to complain I was told to "stop wasting our time" and then the person hung up on me! Then when I reported this to lastminute.com they contacted the hotel who denied all knowledge of my complaint and refused to refund me even though I didn't even stay there the second night! Just awful! I wouldn't even give this hotel 1 star!!!! Do not book here!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Blackpool UK
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We did not stay long in this disgusting place.Never have I been so appalled at the state of a hotel room. I am a seasoned traveller, not only that, I have been housekeeping manager of a huge hotel, and have stayed in lots of places but this took 1st prize as the worst ever, bar none. I can put up with shabby, but cannot put up with dirt -this room was beyond dirty, it was filthy. I have taken photos to back up what I am saying here. It starts with the entry; no reception, as others have said, you have to get your card from the BUSY Spar shop in the services. The entrance stank of old mops which persisted down the corridor. Our room was No 1 at the end of the corridor. Actually the bed had nice clean sheets on so it took us a while to register the extent of the awfulness. But the dust, the dirty carpet, the disgusting bathroom, the stinking shower curtain, the mould, cobwebs, the fittings that were hanging off the walls were just too much, but the last straw was the state of the kettle, which looked like it had had a dead sheep boiled in it, and smelt the same. As a housekeeper I could have cleaned that room to an acceptable standard in 15 minutes. Why can't they clean it? We wrote a complaining note to the housekeeping team, packed up and left. I do not care if we don't get our money back, but I do care that this place continues to think it can get away with it. Do not stay here until it cleans its act up.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Rivington Lodge does what is says "on the tin". Being set on the motorway service station with an access bridge linking the carraigeways it's an idea stopover for anypone travelling up or down the country. The price of an overnight room is excellent ( I paid £30 ) That said, you do get what you pay for.
My room was basic, similar to any Travelodge in equipment. The general condition suggested it was long overdue a refurb, the light fittings around the walls needed attention, to either straighten them up or fix the bits that sellotape held together.
The window security didn't function properly. Either the features designed to stop the windows opening too far were broken off or just jammed.
The TV, a minute 12inch flatscreen replacement, didn't fit the wall bracket properly and despite being only a few miles ( line of sight ) from the massive Winter Hill transmitter, was devoid of any of the BBC channels. A sign that the aerial system needs updating for digital TV ( How long since the switchover ? )
The bathroom was very much in need of attention. The chrome showerhead pipe flopped around in the hole in the wall it passed through. The showerhead itself, and the curtain rail, were both showing signs of rust. The water controls were falling apart. I had to "refit" the temperature control several times and guess at where it fitted. The whole toilet seat was coming adrift so needed careful approach. When it came to brushing my teeth I had to run the cold tap, at high pressure, for several minutes before the water ran cold. At one point, whilst I waited, the cold tap was actually producing steaming hot water. The Electric towel rail had seen some kind of problem in the past. The power cord had been removed and the end made safe with an abundance of black electrical tape, which was now unravelling.
The general cleanliness of the bathroom wasn't good either. Another area needing refurbishment.
I only needed an overnight stop, whilst visiting local family. I didn't need to eat here, just wash and change. I got by. Why did I choose the Rivington Lodge ? Everywhere else was booked up for the annual Ironman UK Triathalon event. Would I book again? No. I'd go to one of the Premier Inns just off of Junction 6, M61, for better standards and facilities. Worth paying that bit more for.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends