“New favourite”

Bob's Smithy Inn and Old Forge Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 567 Restaurants in Bolton
Price range: US$4 - US$29
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Family run country Pub and Restaurant serving pub lunches and evening dining in our A La Carte Restaurant all our food is cooked with local produce. Our food is all cooked from fresh by trained chefs.
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I ate here last night (saturday) bob smithy is a place that we have drove past many a time as my hubby's grandparents only live round the corner, but have never visited. So pleased we did. Beautiful inside and we had a drink in the bar before eating, merlot was lovely! Food wise was excellent, and as a veggie there was lots of choice. We had olives to start, I had the filo basket and hubby had steak and a bottle of wine. Bill came to £50 which is excellent! Food amazing, lovely staff and great atmosphere! Can't wait to come again :) my new favourite in bolton

3  Thank julie3008

Reviewed 14 July 2014

First time here the other day and we only went for lunchtime in the bar. The choice was quite wide and the food was not bad. Clearly was cooked fresh. I had the sausage and mash which was likely the worst of the four meals. The sausages were tasteless but that is quite common I have found these days. Must be something to do with EU regulations. Food is not slowed to taste nice anymore in case it harms you !!! Next time we will try the restaurant.

1  Thank AgedMan
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Went on Saturday night my 3rd visit here , really nice food , we tried the new menu ,as I love desserts I decided not to have a starter ,we both had flat iron steak, the potatoes were delicious they were duchess potatoes and shallot purée with a burnaise sauce yummy , our desserts were a lovely lemon posset really fresh and light ,exactly the right dessert to follow a lovely meal . Please note this is not a cheap and cheerfully restaurant , it's somewhere different and just that bit special and reasonably priced

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had this restaurant recommended although don`t know why. Went at the week-end, board outside advertised 2 course and 3 course meals at special prices. We weren`t offered these menus, so we ordered from the menu we were given. My husband had veals liver for starters, it came on a "soggy" slice of bread and the liver was just like a red clot which was uneatable.The explanation we were given was that it had been prepared by an apprentice chef, surely the chef should check the apprentice`s presentation and food before it leaves the kitchen. My husband ordered a pint of Thwaites`s Wainwright which was cloudy and if we had waited all night it would never have cleared.On the whole, a bad experience, won`t be returning.

11  Thank Norma E
jordan1448, Owner at Bob's Smithy Inn and Old Forge Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your review,sorry you where wanting to have our 3 course £15.95 mid week special on at Saturday evening when you walked in. This is only available Wednesday, Thursday all evening and Friday till 7pm.which is advertised on our boards out side.
We apologised for the starter and rectified this by offering you a new free starter which you declined and knocking the original one of the bill.
The Wainwrights you must have had the last in the barrel which we can only apologise for and if you would let us know we would of gladly changed this for you, looking back at the bill we didn't charge you for this.
We offered you both free desserts which you also declined.
We are sorry and if you come to give us another visit please make your selves know.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

one of the best meals we have had , we started with olives & oils, followed by sirloin steak cooked just right ,we also had house red wine it was excellent . the service was very good not rushed at all.

2  Thank ke1th