“bed and breakfast”
Review of The Jolly Carter

The Jolly Carter
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton
The Jolly Carter
Ranked #11 of 17 Bolton B&B and Inns
Conwy, Wales, United Kingdom
“bed and breakfast”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

excellent value for money,good food,very clean
only has three rooms
new management are making a very good effort to establish a friendly welcoming atmosphere,
plenty parking space, 5 minutes from Bolton town centre

Room Tip: rooms 2 & 3 are larger than No 1 No 1 is facing the rear
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Trev F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have eaten here many times and have only ever had one bad meal which was on a Sunday afternoon, there were hardly any staff in and the kitchen was undermanned with what appered to be with just one hungover chef. However, I'm happy to say this was an isolated and one off incident as every other time hasn't disappointed. We like to go as it's within walking distance of where we live and if we're not in a mood for cooking but want some simple, tasty, home cooked style food this is the place to be, we've eaten lunches and evening meals here but the breakfasts have been the best. On those days when you want a good cooked breakfast but can't be bothered making it yourself, you need to head here. You can take your time, enjoy your tea or coffee, eat a well cooked full English with plenty of toast as you read the papers. The setting is just as welcoming and as comfortable as your own kitchen at home.

Also, whenever we've had friends and family looking for somewhere to stay we've always recommended here and it's yet to disappoint, spotless rooms and friendly staff and reasonbly priced too. Plus when you've been to you family do or whatever we all meet up here on the Sunday morning for either breakfast and lunch befor ethey return home.

A little gem of a place and one I'll continue to use as long as we live locally to it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank James G
southport
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed here for one night on sat 24th November,
The picture on the Internet is very misleading,you get the impression its a country pub but its actually surrounded by houses! the rooms are at the rear of the pub and you have to go up a flight of iron stairs to get to rooms which could be dangerous in winter when frozen.
The room itself is very small albeit very clean ,but so small the tv is of the old analogue type with a digibox and high up,the bed and furnishings were very good unfortunately the bathroom was so small you can not get properly dried in there so had to stand in room.the bed was comfortable,there was tea coffee making facilities,our room number 2 was overlooking the flat roof of the pub and houses and car park and definitely not worth £50 plus £12 breakfast.
the owners were very welcoming but unfortunately the soft drinks were flat and the glasses were not rinsed proper!the food was ok but not the best,the breakfast was ok but the orange which was already pored for us was only carton orange.The pub was not very full and i believe it is closing soon.
All in all it was an ok visit but certainly could not stay more than one night and certainly not worth £62 more like £40 to £45.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brilin
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My one night stay at the Jolly Carter in July of this year was so comfortable and I felt so welcomed. I arrived from Shanghai and when I booked the room I confided to Nina that my arrival at my brother in law's party on the evening of July 7th was to be a surprise for everyone. Not only did they keep my surprise but I think were as excited as I was. My room was delightful and the bed was big and soft, like sleeping on a cloud. I stayed the night and got up quite early, much too early for the chef at 10.30 but Reese made me a wonderful cup of coffee, then went ahead and made me a lovely breakfast of orange juice, scrambled eggs and toast and more of his delicious coffee. What a lovely place and what lovely people. Thanks to the Jolly Carter for helping me with my surprise.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sandra_cullum
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Modern bedroom with excellent shower room. Well furnished and equipped. Good value for money. Excellent breakfast and pub meals. Lovely relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Downside for some maybe that access to the bedrooms is via outside metal stairway.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fran W
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We were in Bolton for a wedding and needed somewhere close to the venue to stay. This little diamond served our needs perfectly. Ok, so its not the Hilton, but the rooms are clean & fresh, towels are changed daily and the cooked breakfast was a thing of beauty which kept us going till well into the afternoon. The Landlady, Nina, was the perfect host and made us more than welcome.
What more needs to be said? If I ever go to Bolton or the surrounding areas again I will be returning to The Jolly Carter.

Room Tip: Mind the step in Room No 2 !!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary B
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2010

My wife and I stayed here on the recommendation of some friends, who know the place well. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED!! Our en suite room overlooked the main street and was well and tastefully furnished, complete with television. The pub itself was what can only be described as a typical country style pub. Nice brass and good beer. We had a more than substantial cooked English breakfast and also availed of an evening meal, which was excellent. Nina, our host, was more than attentive and a very relaxing weekend was experienced by both of us. Would highly recommened The Jolly Carter to all.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Travelodge Bolton Central River Street
Bolton Whites Hotel
Bolton Whites Hotel
#2 of 13 in Bolton

Been to The Jolly Carter? Share your experiences!