“Only aged 51 but so many wonderful memories brought back - really enjoyed it all!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Milestones Museum

Milestones Museum
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Basingstoke
More attraction details
Owner description: Step inside the story of our social, retail and industrial heritage and imagine what life would have been like during the Victorian era and the 1930s as you explore the life size streets, buildings, shops and vehicles, all under one roof. Be inspired by wonderful collections from vehicles, toys, domestic appliances and lots more! See how our homes developed through decades from 1930 - 1970s with our authentic room-sets. Experience our 1940s sweet shop when you purchase an old penny for £1 to buy your 2oz ration of sweets in the sweet shop. Have fun in our vintage penny arcade. Dress up in Victorian costumes. Under 5s can also enjoy our play post office. Experience our working Edwardian pub where you can enjoy a pint and a sandwich. Events such as LEGO and Father Christmas Grotto at selected times of the year.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Bishop's Stortford, Herts, England
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 466 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We, four of us, aged 51-82 loved our visit to the museum as it bought back so many memories and had us shrieking when we saw things we'd used in our earlier years, now in a museum! We'd expected to see things from our grandparents homes but to see my beloved orange Braun hairdryer from the 1970s, my cousins radios and record players, which I longed to have as a kid, the mincer my mother used every Monday for the left over Sunday joint meat... the decor of the rooms through the last 5 decades of the 1900s, the wedding dresses! So much to see and recall.

I must confess, as I walked in the main door I did think - um! seems small and no atmosphere, and I thought I was going to be let down but, as if often the case, first impressions were wrong and I had a super time from start to finish! We paid £6.50 entrance as we were part of a coach party but if I'd had to pay the £8.50 I'd not have complained.

The cafe is small but the staff very friendly and our sandwiches/jacket potatoes/cakes all went down a treat - good fillings in sandwiches, hot tasty potatoes, delicious cakes and not overly expensive for a museum. I was miffed my black coffee cost £2 whereas all other types, latte, capuccino etc were only £1.75!

There is so much to see, ranging from steam engines, trams, wonderful old cars, horsedrawn carts etc all in beautiful condition. There were several shops and some houses set up as the would have been in their hay day. I prefered the second part of the museum as there was so much to see I could relate to - the range of hoovers through the ages, hair dryers, house heaters, cookers, washing machines, kitchen equipment, toys, cameras etc, etc was extensive and facinating to see - I loved the 'set ups' of the rooms through the decades. In the music shop the lovely lady - in period costume - played requests on the wind up record player - we had Glenn Miller! Three ladies gave a talk/demonstration on 'make do and mend' amongst other things. Made me very glad in one sense to be alive now with all the home comforts and aids we so take for granted now, when you could see how hard it was only 50 years ago.

I think the 'living sweet shop' needed a bigger choice of sweets, I was disapointed in that, the lady was very pleasant but from the description I'd expected a lot more.

Some of the manequins needed some sorting out but many were good.

It's not interactive as we know so many museums today, it's not loud with constant music/commentaries etc, it's not all bright lights and trendy presentation of display objects, it's a museum set in the time it is depicting and I really appreciated that!

I would especially recommend it as a place to go for adults of 40-50 onwards and anyone who wants to relive their and 'the' past from the 1900s.

Visited April 2012

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Terrible waste of money on an outdated museum”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Over priced. Lacking in ambition or innovation Hampshire spent a fortune and got very little in return

Visited June 2011
2 Thank alanmills405
Midlands
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Having visited the open air museums of Beamish many times and also the Blsck Country Museum and Blists Hill, I wasn't sure about how an indoor living museum would work. I was pleasantly surprised, it works extremely well and has the benefit of allowing rare objects such as the fantastic vehicle collection to be displayed in an accurate 'outdoor' setting.

Very interesting and entertaining displays which would be of interest to many, especially to anyone interested in transport or history

Andover, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Great place to go with or without the kids. So much to see and so many memories brought back. Loved it

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“birthday party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

This fabulous indoor museum is a must for all ages. You walk round the museum through the cobbled streets looking at all the different shops and you can even buy some sweets and a pint!

Visited December 2011