“Wonderful short break”

Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My mother and I have just returned from a short weekend stay at the Hampshire Court hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute! I cannot praise the staff enough, they were all very friendly, helpful and approachable, I genuinely think this has to be one of the friendliest hotels I've ever stayed in. Our room was very clean with a great bathroom and comfortable beds and a lovely balcony overlooking the beautiful courtyard. The restaurant provided great food and wonderful service and the breakfast was brilliant, with a wide selection of food on offer. The hotel leisure facilities were great with 2 swimming pools on offer and large, clean changing rooms. We also booked ourselves in for facials at the beauty salon and were very impressed with the experience there. All in all, it's a wonderful hotel with great customer service and I can't rate it highly enough, I'd recommend it to everyone! I'd also recommend you take a visit to The Vyne and Jane Austins house during your stay in Basingstoke as those are two attractions not to be missed! :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
dankelly_9, Operations Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear morosity,
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review following your stay with us. It is great to read you enjoyed all the aspects of the hotel and found the staff so welcome and friendly. We are a great base for the attractions you mention as well as many others in Hampshire and the New Forest. We look forward to your next visit with us. Regards, Luke

There are newer reviews for Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We managed to secure a suite for the bank holiday weekend, including dinner one night and breakfast both mornings, for only £274 by booking on the hotel's website. We even got £10 of drink vouchers on arrival. Great value!

We were impressed by the gym, much better equipped than the average hotel gym and nice and cool too. Didn't use the changing rooms so can't comment there.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, particularly the restaurant manager who happily brought plates etc to our suite when we ate in there on our second night. Dinner in the restaurant was good, our only criticism being the waffle with strawberries and cream which was served with only half a strawberry!! Breakfast was more hit and miss, staff were working hard but not so well managed as buffet items were often allowed to run out. Also, tables were relaid without the milk jug on the table being refilled. I ordered a hot chocolate and found it powdery and tasted as if it came from a machine rather than being made with fresh milk, disappointing. We also feel that there should be a dress code in the restaurant as robes and slippers are out of place unless you are in an establishment such as Champneys.

We returned to our room to find that although housekeeping staff had serviced the room, the bed had not been made. We had left it tidy but not made to hotel standards and this was not what we expected.

Our only other gripe is the smoking area outside the hotel right by the front door. The presence of someone sitting outside in a dressing gown, smoking a cigarette, is more in keeping with a tv show like the Royle Family than a four star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear snailrunner,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay. I am glad you found your stay great value and were able to take advantage of all the facilities we have at the hotel. May I apologise that we did not get everything spot on at dinner or breakfast. We will use these comments to make sure we continue to improve and put things right for the future. I hope we can see you again soon. Regards, Luke.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel. The staff were fantastic, they were very friendly and they go the extra mile to make sure your stay is enjoyable. I had not stayed in a Q hotel before, but they are now on my favourite list. Well done, they definitely deserve all the awards they have won.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Annfzm

Dear Annfzm,
Thank you for your excellent review. It is always great to hear our staff made such a positive impression and were able to go the extra mile for you. I hope we can welcome you back for another relaxing break soon. Regards, Luke.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I spent an excellent two day break at the Hampshire Court Hotel. Check in was smooth and our room was excellent. We made full use of their sporting facilities and used the gym and swimming pool on three occasions. Our late check out time suited us ideally. The gym equipment was excellent. We also made use of their indoor tennis courts (an extra charge was required to play tennis).
Our 'superior' room was large and had everything you might expect, Two free in house movies were included in our Travel Zoo offer.
We enjoyed two dinners and two breakfasts and the quality and service was excellent throughout.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and will probably visit this hotel again, when next in that area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
dankelly_9, General Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Trevor W. Thank you for writing such a glowing review following your stay with us over the weekend. I am delighted to hear you had such a good time. Well done on making use of so many of the facilities. I'm sure it made dinner taste all the better. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Regards Dan

Reviewed 18 May 2014

i have stayed in a number of hotels but were possible always return to the Hampshire court. The reason for this is the attention to detail and the staff, all staff that I encountered were friendly and always trying to help but not in a over bearing or false manner a total credit to the hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear gareth h. Thank you so much for writing such a positive review. The team here at the hotel will be delighted with your kind praise, so thank you again. We hope to see you again soon. Regards Dan.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Approaching this hotel you get the impression it could be either a Tesco Supermarket or a crematorium. As it is situated next to a supermarket I assume that the same architect designed it. Set around a courtyard, often full of smokers , which meant don’t open windows, we were given a room which looked out upon the roof top of the building next door, while might be acceptable in Florence, in Basingstoke a definitely not.
Very small room and smaller bed. While everything was clean and well appointed
There is a complete lack of soul or atmosphere in the hotel. The yapping of a lap door along the corridor raised concerns over cleanliness. If we had known pets were allowed we would have chosen another hotel. Evening meal was of very poor quality, my wife had salmon which was very dry and tasteless while I choose Caesar Salad thinking they could not ruin it, they could.

Room Tip: Ask for one either overlooking the courtyard (20 pounds extra) or overlooking the car park. Not muc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear GhentPilgrim. Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I too wish we had views similar to those over Florence, but I am confident the hotel has never made any pretence to. Clearly the architecture and surroundings are not to your taste for which I am sorry. It appears that your concerns over cleanliness were averted given you scored this section 4 out 5. I am sorry and surprised to hear that you did not enjoy your evening meal. We will certainly take this feedback on board and as ever try to improve what we offer to all of our guests. Regards Dan.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We recently stayed here for one night whilst celebrating a friend's wedding. The area the wedding party had for the duration of the celebrations was most adequate, the function room was perfect in size. The food and service on the day was excellent, right down to the evening buffet and the Wedding Co-ordinator (James, I think) did an outstanding job.

The room we had was most comfortable, it was a double overlooking the carpark, which was not a problem as we didn't hear much, if any, noise from outside, we did order room service early evening, which was promptly delivered.

You are spoilt for choice at breakfast and special requests are also accommodated, all in all I would definitely recommend this hotel if you were looking for a conveniently located, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LNCUK. Thank you for your review following your weekend break with us. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your time here and that the wedding celebrations all went down so well. The team will be very happy with your feedback also, so thank you for going to the trouble of mentioning them personally. I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future. Regards Dan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Basingstoke
Norton Park - A QHotel
#3 of 13 in Basingstoke
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick

Been to Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!