“A great 1/2 night's sleep.”

Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
GreenLeadersBronze level
St Albans, United Kingdom
“A great 1/2 night's sleep.”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst attending a show that was held in their tennis court area. Being a very light sleeper, I asked for a quiet room and was assured that the one I was given was quiet. The first thing I noticed when entering the room was that it was like a sauna, and, amazingly considering the price and the fact that it's a 4 Star Hotel, there was no air conditioning, just a fan. The room was clean and nicely decorated. In terms of the room, all was well until about 3:30AM when what sounded like a fan on the roof started up and woke me. I then got hardly any sleep, and around 6AM what sounded like a pump behind the walls in the room started up, accompanied by clicking and banging of pipes. Probably the worst night's sleep I've had in a hotel this year.

In terms of decor, the place seemed OK. Modern and fairly basic, probably about the same as a decent Premier Inn. Breakfast was passable, but a little bit undercooked for my taste.

The smaller of the two TVs in the bar had an annoying image retention fault that meant that any captions stayed on screen for 30-60 seconds after they should have. This made watching the world cup games rather annoying. I'm amazed nobody had noticed and fixed this.

I guess I'll have to come back if the show I was attending is held there again next year, but I certainly won't be staying in room 141.

Room Tip: Avoid room 141.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
dankelly_9, General Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Gary B. Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you had a disturbed night's sleep while you were with us earlier this week. I will look into what may have caused the noise you mentioned to get the problem resolved. It is a shame you didn't mention it to the team while you were here as we may well have been able to solve the problem straight away. I hope your conference here went well, certainly the feedback from the organisers would suggest it was a success. Should you decide to stay with us again I'm sure you will get a good night's sleep. Regards Dan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
northampton
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights when I was going to Royal Ascot with my family as a birthday present.

The hotel is well located for visiting Ascot - £5 taxi to basingstoke train station, then a short journey to Reading where you change for Ascot. The train was £7 each. Closer hotels will charge ridiculous prices during Royal Ascot so it's worth staying here considering the journey was so easy.

We had a lovely suite with a separate lounge area and lots of nice snacks in the room. The bathroom was enormous and had a separate shower and tub which is good.

We arrived late on Thursday and ate in the bar while watching football, good atmosphere despite bad result! The bar serves food until 10pm which is good if you're going to arrive a bit later. Breakfast both mornings was a lovely quiet calm affair with excellent staff and delicious hot and cold buffet. We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and this was delicious, when the staff found out in was my birthday they put candles in my dessert and brought me a free glass of champagne which was a lovely touch and really appreciated.

There was a function in the hotel on the Friday - a school prom I think - but we didn't hear any noise or music or anything.

We used the pool, which was a good size for lengths. There is a separate smaller pool for children which is great as you can swim without being disturbed. We also used the sauna and steam rooms which were nice to have. The hotel has a large and very well equipped gym but unfortunately we didn't have time to use this.

Overall a lovely hotel with excellent friendly staff, I recommend!

Room Tip: Room 101 is a suite and is really nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ilovehotels6. Thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us for Royal Ascot. I will pass on your very kind feedback to the team who will be thrilled. I hope you had some luck on the GG's and I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon. Regards Dan.
Kent
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at several Q Hotels around the country I have to say we were a bit disappointed with this one, as it is not up to their usual high standard. On the plus side, the staff were all friendly and tried very hard to help. Also, we had two nice meals in the restaurant.

Unfortunately there were several negatives. The surrounding area is built up with houses and a supermarket. Overall the hotel has a leisure centre feel to it, especially around the pool and spa areas. There is no bar or lounge for residents - only a small canteen type area near the pool with basic furniture and stained seating. This is really not good enough for a 4 star hotel.

The room and bed were good, although on the small side and there was no air conditioning. It was nice to have a balcony, but the rusty chairs and the peeling wood on the rails were in serious need of replacement. In fact the whole of the balcony areas and the courtyard below is tired and in need of a complete makeover.

As someone else has commented, the target market for this hotel is probably day visitors to the pool, hen party/spa weekends, and weddings etc.

This is the first Q hotel we have stayed in that we wouldnt go back to, so for a couple wanting a bit of luxury and possibly a slightly more sophisticated atmosphere I would suggest choosing a different Q hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear elturismo. Thank you for your review following your weekend break with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and the room. I am also very pleased that you found the team to be so accomodating and friendly. I am sorry to hear that you were a little underwhelmed by the whole experience though. Please be assured that we are constantly updating and investing into the product of the hotel. I hope that the next time you choose to be in this area you might come and see us again and be more impressed with your experience. Regards Dan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From the moment we arrived until we left the hotel provided an lovely service. The food was very good quality from the Buffet lunch, evening meal and breakfast were great. The rooms were lovely and clean and bathrooms spotless. The SPA treatments were nice. A great weekend was had by the six of us for a Hen weekend and we enjoyed the sparkling wine included in the price. Overall exceptional good value for money, for this spea weekend.

Room Tip: They have lovely rooms facing the court yard and some open onto a balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank melreilly60
dankelly_9, General Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear melreilly60. Thank you for your lovely review following your group spa break with us. I am delighted to hear you all had such a good time with us. It sounds like we might be able to tempt you back soon, which is great news. Regards Dan
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for a wedding and I must say I was very impressed with everything. Very clean , staff very friendly , food very nice and our room was spacious and very clean . Didnt get chance to use all the facilities but hopefully will get chance to stay again and use it all . Oh and the breakfast was lovely

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
dankelly_9, Operations Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear sally t,
Thank you for your review following your stay to attend a wedding at the hotel. We are very pleased that you had such a good time and have positive comments for our rooms and our food. I hope you can come back soon and try all of the other facilities we have at the hotel. Regards, Luke
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had a spa break here with my wife and we were very impressed.

The room was very clean and well appointed, pleasant little balcony terrace overlooking the courtyard where we were able to enjoy the complimentary bottle of bubbly awaiting us.

Lunch and Dinner both offered excellent choice and the quality was very high. Breakfast in the morning was varied and constantly refreshed so the food was always hot.

The staff are extremely polite and attentive, the hotel does seem to employ very young staff, if this is an effort to give them work experience and much needed jobs and is a conscious decision then I applaud it and they are doing a great job.

We booked this stay as a spa break and had a couple of treatments included in the deal. The treatments were excellent and the treatment areas were very pleasant. Michealo the massuese was very knowledgable and polite. Be aware that as with most places that offer treatments throughout the day that timings can slip a little, but not by much, so try and relax and make yourself comfortable.

The swimming pool area is the only place I would say that the hotel could do with putting some work into. It falls under the term of leisure facilities so it clearly isn't just billed as a spa pool, but it could do with a little more ambience. It tries to serve the purpose of somewhere for fitness swimmers to do their lengths as well as for spa users to relax which in my opinion didn't work. Not much space to sit around the pool and no Jacuzzi or Whirlpool which I would have expected. The steam room and sauna are small and look a little tired but both work well.
I would not however, let this detract from the overall experience and especially the treatment team and area who are excellent.
Tennis courts are available as well as a gym, but I didn't use these.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Hampshire Court, the staff are a pleasure and the hotel is very nice.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 150 which is Easterly facing and seems to get the sun on the balcony all day.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank supernova81
dankelly_9, Operations Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear supernova81,
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed our rooms and food. We do have quite a young team working here but it is down to them the excellent comments we receive regarding their levels of service and friendliness. Michealo was thrilled to read your praise for him, sorry our timings had slipped a little over the bank holiday weekend. I hope we can welcome you back soon. Regards, Luke
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel is purpose built. It has tennis courts and leisure facilities and spa, although we didn't use any of them. We had lovely buffet breakfasts and the chef will make fresh food such as eggs cooked in various way, porridge etc. We had a 3 course evening meal, which was lovely. The room was a superior double bedroom, which had a balcony with small table and a couple of chairs. We were lucky enough to use it on our last morning, as it rained for most of the weekend. The staff in all areas were lovely and welcoming. Would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear mummygarv,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and dinner and that our chef was able to cater for you with the cooked to order items we offer as part of our breakfast menu. It is also great that you managed to enjoy the sun out on your balcony in between all the showers at the weekend. I hope we can welcome you back soon. Regards, Luke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basingstoke
Norton Park - A QHotel
#5 of 13 in Basingstoke
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick

Been to Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!