“Great rooms, poor service”
Review of Audleys Wood Hotel

Audleys Wood Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Universe1
“Great rooms, poor service”
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We decided to book for one night at the hotel as it was clise to a wedding we were attending in a nearby village. The reception area is small and on arrival only one person was on duty so with 2 other couples in the queue already it took approx. 10 mins or so to check in. Check in was then quick pleasant and efficient and our room was a deluxe double (Cassandra) overlooking the front of the hotel. The room was well appointed, a good size with a couple of occasional chairs to sit and relax. The bed was comfortable albeit a little soft. The bathroom was a good size with a bath and shower, although the shower was poor - for such nice bathrooms the shower needs improving.

It became apparent not long in to our stay that we hadn't been left enough towels (just one bath and one hand towell and these were in the wardrobe) so we tried to phone reception and housekeeping to get more. After 4 attempts to contact someone we decided to go to reception to request them. One hour and 15 minutes later they still hadn't arrived. A further 3 attempts were made to call down and chase it up but again no answer. It was left to us again to go to reception personally and ask for them. Whilst there I went to the bar to ask for two tall glasses and a bucket of ice, however the bar was empty of staff and no one appeared so these were requested from the reception staff. Within 10 minutes we had our towels but despite requesting tall glasses we were delivered two wine glasses. Again we explained what we wanted and the receptionist went in search of two glasses.

Before getting ready to go out in the evening we decided to have sandwiches from room service. The selection was good and priced reasonably. The phone on this occasion was answered promptly and the order taken and repeated back. Despite this they still managed to get the order wrong. Granted not by a lot (white bread instead of brown) but it was still wrong and added to what was now becoming a list of failings that the staff were creating. For a 4* property it is hard to understand why it was difficult to get some "basics" right.

Prior to leaving the hotel in the evening to go for our evening out we decided to have a drink in the bar. After 5 minutes of sitting and waiting for a member of bar staff to arrive (which they didn't) we went in search of someone to ask for a drink. The was a wedding taking place in the hotel and we can only assume that the hotel had made the decision to dedicate the majority of staff to the wedding and leave the hotel running on skeleton staff. If this were the case then why are the rates for a night still at a premium and why weren't we told of this at check-in so our expectations were set accordingly.

The hotel is in a good location, rooms are above average but the service needs considerable improvement if they want to justify the "price tag" for the one night stay. Difficult to recommend the property based on the service received but as rooms and location go it's good.

• Stayed June 2013
AColley, General Manager at Audleys Wood Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your detailed and balanced feedback further to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our service standards were poor during Saturday afternoon and evening. I will be reviewing your comments with the teams concerned to ensure that we improve communication on future occasions. We do keep seperate teams in the hotel and Pavilion so as to maintain service levels, and I am currently looking into why the Bar was not staffed for such a period of time. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Slovak first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Beautiful hotel and grounds. Scrupulously clean, lovely attentive staff, quality fixings. At the inclusive breakfast there was great choice of quality food with lovely staff. Would have been a 5 star on Value for Money, if not for noise

This is very clearly a hotel where their key business is weddings - which is quite understandable. There was a marquee in the grounds which was blaring out music - until midnight. I think weddings can be held there any day of the week
We arrived after 9pm and asked for a quiet room. The receptionist did his very best to help. Unfortunately, there were only 2 rooms left - we were given the one furthest away from the marquee. However, it did still feel as though we were in the middle of a disco when we were in the room - until it finally finished at midnight. On the plus side there are 2 doors between the corridor and the bed, which reduces corridor noise. I think the hotel needs to offer a less flimsy "building" than a marquee or provide secondary glazing for the rooms.
We would stay there again - but taking earphones on a long extension cable and our own DVD to use in their DVD player. At least that way, we would be listening to our own noise. I'm glad that we opted for the "Express Checkout" - otherwise at 11am, we would have been at the end of a long queue of wedding guests checking out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay last weekend. I was glad to read that you took advantage of the Express check-out service on the Sunday morning to avoid the peaktime congestion. Your comments regarding the noise from the Garden Pavilion will be discussed with the DJs,as we should not be disturbing other guests with the celebrations hosted in the Pavilion. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Audleys later in the year. Kind regards.
Devon, England
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed for just one night last weekend. Large rooms & bathroom & bed were excellent. Breakfast very good. Nice feel around the place. Very accessible to motorway (which you can hear outside, but not from the rooms).

Room Tip: Classic rooms are more than adequate
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
AColley, General Manager at Audleys Wood Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay with us. I was encouraged to read that you had a comfortable night with us and that you enjoyed the breakfast selection that was available the following morning. I will pass your comments to the Chef. We hope to be able to see you again the next time you visit Basingstoke. Kind regards.
West Sussex
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I booked the hotel through an offer company. It is a lovely hotel, the room was clean and had a comfy bed. The guy on reception had a terrible cold and stood there sniffing and blowing his nose, it was disgusting! He should not have been working. We went to our room and received a call to check we had everything we needed - which I thought was a really nice touch.

There was a wedding on whilst we were staying there, we couldn't book a table in the restaurant until after 7.30, which was fine. We had a drink in the bar, unfortunately there was a very poor amount of soft drinks available, only a couple of J2O's, coke and lemonade.

We went to our table at 7.45, the menu was a little disappointing. It was £26 for two courses or £30 for three. There was nothing on the starters I wanted. There was a Donald Russell steak for an additional £7.50! I wasn't prepared to pay that much more for a steak so I choose the roast chicken, it was revolting! It was worse than anything I'd ever had a school and my memories of school food are not great! There was a good amount of lukewarm chicken but then only two small roast potatoes, a couple of carrots, the worst dried up cauliflower cheese I'd ever had and a smear of mushy peas. It didn't even smell very nice.

My husband had duo of pork, the pork belly was rubbery and the overall portion was very small, trying to give the impression of fine dining! If this is the case it was the worst fine dining I'd ever had! I did complain and the course was removed from our bill. I had cheesecake for pudding, again it was really horrible, the base was soggy and the cheesecake was stodgy, probably the worst cheesecake I'd had.

When I complained saying it was like the food had been left over from the wedding the waitress didn't deny it! The room service menu was much better than the restaurant menu, I wish we'd eaten in our room!

Breakfast was ok, the pastries were stale and it looked like our breakfast had been thrown on our plates. I have previously stayed at Wood Hall hotel (part of the Handpicked hotels chain) and the breakfast and food were fantastic, I was hoping for the same standard but I was extremely disappointed!

We could hear the disco from the wedding until nearly midnight.

I would recommend the hotel to stay at just don't eat there! Why is it so difficult to get good food?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank activebysweetness
Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to learn that you liked the hotel and that you would recommend others to stay with us. I was however, disappointed to read your comments concerning your dining experience, and we are corresponding with you separately about this. I would like to clarify that the menu offered on Saturday night to you in our Conservatory Restaurant was seperate to the menu chosen by the Bride and Bridegroom for their Wedding that was served in our Garden Pavilion and The Simonds Room, is our fine dining two rosette dining room. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back later this year. Kind regards.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is a lovely hotel with very high quality rooms set in gorgeous grounds close to the M3 but with a real country manor house feel. The beds are really comfortable with plenty of pillows. The hotel does not have a gym but you can order either gym or yoga 'in a bag' - they will bring you some simple exercise equipment and instructions to use in your room which is a novel idea. The food quality is very good and the staff are friendly and very helpful.
Reception is efficient with the check in/out process (even with a large group).
The only critique is that the speed for serving food is slow even at breakfast which for a hotel of this quality you would expect it to be more efficient. We had a large gala dinner type event which started at 8pm but we didn't receive dessert until a very late 10pm; again very slow between courses. Once you do get served the food is very good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
AColley, General Manager at Audleys Wood Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your very positive comments about the hotel following your stay with us last weekend. I was glad to read that you appreciated the Gym in a Bag concept that was recently added to our range of services available to our guests at no extra charge. It has proved to be very popular so far. I am sorry to hear that you felt the food service was rather tardy and I will discuss your coments with the Chef, but was glad to read that the quality of the food served was always to a high quality. Kind regards
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

I stay here several times a year on business.
Very old classic country house style. Excellent food, service and very clean. Good deals to be had if your a flexible traveller. One downside, no sky sports throughout the whole hotel which means we/I often go out to watch sports. Just personal I guess.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest, I was glad to read that you had had an enjoyable stay with us recently and would like to thank you for your feedback. I would like to correct the comment you make regarding Sky Sports, as we do have Sky Sports available in every bedroom, and now have it available for communal viewing in the Long Lounge. Kind regards
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for almost one month and found the staff in all areas of the hotel friendly, and very accommodating. The restaurant was always cheerful and the food was consistently good and had a nice choice for dinners and the buffet breakfast. Although there were wedding festivities on most weekend during our stay, we were never made to feel that we were't important customers. The room was perfect. The king bed was more than comfortable, sheets and towels were always bright and clean. The cleaning staff made sure we had everything we needed at all times. The grounds of the hotel were very nice and we had a nice view of the woods. During our stay I came down with a cold and the staff made sure I had an extra blanket, the tea I preferred and even asked if I wanted them to go to the local pharmacy for me. Both my husband I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 223 was spacious, with a king bed and nice view of the back garden area. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest, it was our pleasure to look after you during your stay in England. Thank you so much for providing us with such positive feedback. Comments from our long staying guests really are valuable to us as you experienced the hotel through its various types of business from weekday to weekend and the changes associated with this. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Audleys on your next visit to England. Kind regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basingstoke
Oakley Hall Hotel
Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
#9 of 13 in Basingstoke
Premier Inn Basingstoke Town Centre Hotel

Been to Audleys Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!