“Overpriced, Outdated, Unreasonable”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Crawshaw Booth, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, Outdated, Unreasonable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I stopped here on a "special corporate rate" of over £160 per night during the Airshow.

On arrival, the reception staff couldn't have been more helpful.

I was disappointed with my hot, dated no ac, fusty smelly room with a flashing light which wasn't repaired until two days later (for which staff apologised).

To the hilarity of my colleagues, my white wine and soda was served in a pint glass - not really what you'd expect in a Hilton.

Breakfast was lovely, really enjoyable with lots of choice - perfect.

The gym is a joke and should not be advertised a facility for a hotel this size, I've seen larger ones in people's garages.

I couldn't sleep at all in my hot, uncomfortable bed as it was noisy beyond belief. After night one, I re-arranged all my meetings for days 3 and four and checked out after a second sleepless night explaining that I really couldn't countenance a further night. No refund was available due to the "special rate". Luckily my expenses picked up the tab but I was disgusted with this response.

Be assured I will never stay here, ever again and I will be asking our Travel people to take this off the list.

Stayed July 2014
Management16, General Manager at The Basingstoke Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to learn my reception staff were very helpful.

Your booking was on a non-refundable pre-paid special corporate rate, which was discounted and subject to availability when higher rates operate during Farnborough Air Show Week. The terms and conditions are confirmed on the booking.

Hilton Basingstoke is a provincial hotel and we do not have air conditioning. We can only provide electric fans to assist with cooling bedrooms, however with the continuous very high termpatures currently being experienced it is very difficult to achieve an optimum ambient temperature.

My Food & Beverage Manager will address the training issues with regard to the bar service and wishes to be associated with my apologies for this lapse in our service standards.

Due to space restrictions our gymnasium is a LivingWell unmanned gym.

I am delighted that you specifically enjoyed the Hilton Breakfast with lots of choice and found
it "perfect".

We do appreciate your feedback as it is in this way that we can continue to improve our customer service standards and I do hope that you will reconsider staying with us again, so that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Very shocked, the hotel needs a complete refurbishment. Arrived for a two night stay for my daughters birthday and to attrnd Bsb at Thruxton. The welcome was good we were greeted well and given one our rooms early to put our luggage in. When returning to the hotel early that evening to book into our second room things changed. Kept waiting a long time at reception, the lounge and bar looked terrible full of dirty glasses and dishes no clear tables. Walking to our room was the same old food and glasses left everywhere and we were met by a vicious and unruly dog of whom the owner had no control, very frightening. Our room was boiling hot, it smelt of fish all weekend, bathroom needed replacing dirty grout cracked dirty floors and extremely uncomfortable beds. One fan and a window that didnt open , no towels on second day three requests and two hours later we got some. So so dissapointing. We would never stay again i feel sorry for the staff they obviously are out of their depth. Really poor

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank hfffddv
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on the Trip Advisor website.

I am concerned to learn of your disappointment regarding your stay at Hilton Basingstoke which was satisfactory up until your return in the evening and I am very sorry for the issues that were encountered from then on.

Firstly I must apologise for the uncontrollable dog owned by a guest which clearly was unacceptable. Whilst Hilton Basingstoke is a dog friendly hotel, all guests have to sign the Pet Policy when making payment for their pets stay which states explicitly that all dogs must be kept under control and it is the owners responsibility to ensure their pet does not cause a nuisance whilst in the hotel.

The hotel does not have air conditioning and we can only provide electric fans to assist with cooling bedrooms, however with the continuous very high temperatures currently experienced it is very difficult to achieve an optimum ambient temperature and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Due to Health and Safety Regulations, all bedroom sliding windows have to be fitted with restrictors to prevent windows opening more than six inches. This is for the esafety and security of all our guests.

The service issues and training will be addressed and actioned with immediate effect by my Food & Beverage Manager who wishes to be associated with my apologies.

As the new Hotel Manager, I am committed to ensuring all the team are customer focused going forward and if you would like provide your details, I will follow up this matter personally.

Thank you once again for your very valued feedback, as it is in this way that we can assess and monitor the standard of service we are providing our guests.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Basingstoke hotels

Milton Keynes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

One of the hottest days of the year and no air conditioning in bedrooms. A large fan kept me awake all night. A leaking sink in the bathroom a shower that lacked power. Hair dryer was old and kept turning off.

The corridors of the hotel resembled those on the Shining - endless!

The food in the bar was expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have aircon so in summer, I'm not sure there is a good room. Very disappoint...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on this website.

The hotel does not have air conditioning and we can only provide electric fans to assist with cooling the bedrooms however due to the continuous unusually high temperatures recently experienced, it is difficult to achieve an optimum ambient temperature and I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I do apologise for the maintenance issues and my Maintenance Manager has addressed and actioned this matter and wishes to be associated with my apologies.

Thank you once again for your very valued feedback, as it is in this way that we can continue to improve our customer service standards and I do hope that we can welcome you back at some point in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

a little way out of town but a short taxi drive. no real options for food around so ate in the restaurant which was a little pricey so we went for 3 course for £21 which was worth it. room had no air con so we had fans. I struggled to sleep and that may have been partially down to the noise but at least we had something. everything was clean and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Management16, General Manager at The Basingstoke Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014

Subject: Your stay at Hilton Basingstoke, United Kingdom

Dear Samantha Thomson:

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at Hilton Basingstoke on our on-line guest questionnaire to which I have already responded and also on Trip Advisor website.

Thank you for such positive feedback and I am delighted to learn that you were very pleased with your 3 course meal and that your waiter was helpful and friendly.

The hotel does not have air conditioning and we can only provide electric fans to assist with cooling bedrooms, however with the continuous very high temperatures we are currently experiencing, it is difficult to achieve an optimum ambient temperature.

I am pleased to learn that you found everything was clean and my staff were very friendly, it is pleasing for me to know that customer service standards are being maintained and thank you for your comments.

Ms.Thomson, I do hope that we can welcome you back to Hilton Basingstoke in the not too distant future

Yours Sincerely,

Hilton Basingstoke
chocolatetiger66
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a twin room 127 for me and my cousin while attending a family funeral. I usually stay in Travelodge but thought the Hilton would be a treat and got a reasonable price from laterooms.com for the one night stay.
Easy to find and plenty of room in the carpark. Checking in was easy and staff were friendly. Entering the room I was slightly disappointed. No wow factor and no different from a cheaper Travelodge. The room was clean and tidy complete with bathroom miniatures and tea & coffee.
We didn't use the bar restaurant lounge area all we wanted was a good nights sleep. The curtains were great dark and blocked out the light. The beds were uncomfortable and the fan was left on all night as we were too hot. We both did not sleep very well. The bathroom was nicely tiled and shower hot and powerful. We did not have breakfast and checking out was easy. Wish I'd saved £20 and gone to Travelodge. Will not use a gain

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on th Trip Advisor website.

Thank you also for such positive comments which are appreciated. I am pleased to learn that your room facilities were good however your comments are noted regarding hardness of beds and room temperature.

The hotel does not have air conditioning and can only provide electric cooling fans to assist with cooling the bedroom, however with the continuous and very high temperatures we are currently experiencing it is dificult to achieve an optimum ambient temperature and I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I am glad that you found my staff were friendly and check in and check out was satisfactory.

We value our guests feedback, as it is in this way that we can continue to improve our customer service standards and I do hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel came as a package deal with our LEGOLAND trip. I have to say, we expected a little bit more to come with the Hilton name.
There was nothing wrong with the hotel itself. It just seemed a little dated in places.

We were greeted and checked in promptly and kids were given colouring packs - a nice touch.
Our room had quite a funny smell upon arrival & throughout our stay. We figured the staff were likely aware of this as a fan and air freshener were present. It wasn't a major issue though so we didn't feel the need to complain.

The bar area was nice. Open area with good seating. We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night. A large glass conservatory area at the rear of the hotel, with doors opening to the garden. It was lovely. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. Our waiter, Jadeep, was truly excellent. He couldn't of done enough for us. His professionalism was admirable. Looked after the kids well, with colouring etc. Our meal was very nice. No complaints from anyone. Compliments to the chef.

Breakfast each morning was excellent also. Great spread of hot & cold foods, juices, pastries etc. Lots of staff on taking care of the tables and guests. Couldn't of asked for any better to be honest. A great start to each morning.

All in, a great stay. The hotel is around 30 mins drive to LEGOLAND. There isn't much nearby, mostly motorway. I was unsuccessful in finding a local convenience store. There is a service station up the motorway around 5/10 mins away though. We drove car to the Basingstoke train station and spent a day in London also. Train goes direct to Waterloo station which is handy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

Thank you also for your very positive feedback regarding your Legoland stay which is very much appreciated.

The hotel does not have air conditioning and we can only provide electric cooling fans to assist with cooling bedrooms, however during the continuous and unusually very high temperatures currently experienced, it is difficult to obtain an optimum ambient temperature.

I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel restaurant and thank you for your very kind comments concerning your waiter Jaideep and I am delighted that he looked after your children well. We do like our younger guests to enjoy their experience of Hilton as they may well be Hilton customers of the cuture. Thank you also for your compliments tot he Chef. Comments such as yours provide great motivation for the team and please be assured, they will be passed on to them.

The Hilton Breakfast is always a firm favourite and a good start to the day and I am pleased to learn that you found this to be the case.

It is a pleasure for myself and the team to know that you had a great stay and I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back in the not too distant future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

OK, firstly this hotel was in a good location. Close to motorways and shops. Traffic noise was very minimal. My room was on the top floor and had large opening windows, which is very useful as there is NO air con. Out stay was during the hot weekend of the 26th July and arrived to find the window open,curtain closed and a fan blowing in the room, but this made little difference to the heat in the room.
The mattress was uncomfortable and you could feel the springs.
The bathroom was very clean, lovely toiletries and clean towels and flannels.
The room area was a decent size,we had a double, and clean.
The flooring along the hallways was very squeaky and no matter how quiet you tried to be, you failed.
I found the restaurant a little overpriced , £16:00 for a burger and chips!
However , breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice and replenished often.
Staff we saw , only 2, were friendly and helpful.
Would I stay here again , probably not, I'd go for the Holiday inn.
In summary, outdated and in need of a massive refurb.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen T
Management16, General Manager at The Basingstoke Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

Thank you also for your positive feedback with regard to location of the hotel, size and cleanliness of room and I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the Hilton Breakfast and the staff were friendly and helpful.

However we note your negative comments regarding, mattress, corridor floors and meal pricing
and your review is helpful in this regard, when feedback is reviewed by Hilton.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future and do hope that you will re-consider using the hotel.