“Unplanned but pleasant evening”
Review of The Sun Inn

The Sun Inn
Ranked #1 of 259 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Price range: US$13 - US$29
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The Sun Inn, situated in Dummer, South of Basingstoke, awarded 2 AA Rosette and Michelin Guide BIB Gourmand 2017 continues to go from strength to strength under the guidance of Head Chef Gordon Stott. Still only 25, Gordon is one of the youngest chefs in the country to run his own pub after taking over as Landlord and Head Chef in February 2012, where he is ably supported by a similarly young but experienced team. All produce is locally sourced, and food cooked fresh on the premises to order.Drinkers are catered for with a wide variety of high-quality ales, many of which are supplied by the local Triple fff Brewery.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We decided to go out on the spur of the moment and the Sun was able to accommodate us in the bar area. Our trip was based on the reviews on trip advisor and we were not disappointed.

We chose the scallop and guinea fowl starters which were tasty. The scallops were lovely large ones but could have been warmer. The guinea fowl wad good.

For mains we had fish and chips and the haddock with fish cake and crushed new potatoes. Both were well cooked and again tasty. Chips crispy.

The lowest point of the meal was the pudding although not unpleasant. I was going to have ice cream but was tempted by the lemon, meringue and vodka poached raspberries. The raspberries were not poached and the lemon could have been sharper so I didn't finish the dish.

Service was good despite not sitting in the restaurant proper

We would visit again.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The inn is one of the nearest pubs to us in the west parts of Basingstoke, but 'wrong' side of town and rarely travel this way. However we have been on odd occasions and always found the food to be of excellent quality. We pitched up tonight without a booking (Friday) the main restaurant was full, but were accommodated in the bar. The lady behind the bar was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The menu had changed since we were there last, and whilst the menu isn't brimming what they do offer is all very tempting. Personally I'd rather it this way and have quality over quantity. Both choices arrived pretty quickly, hot and delicious and again served with a smile so couldn't ask for more.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent restaurant that my wife and I visited on a recommendation. The food is of a high standard (better than I've eaten in a lot of the AA rosette awarded restaurants). Pricing was reasonable for this standard and the service was friendly and efficient. Have already returned once and very much suspect we will do again! I had the steak (it was on the specials menu) which was cooked to perfection and accompanied by some splendid triple cooked chips. Great restaurant.

1  Thank AshOD2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just a lovely place ,relaxing atmosphere, great food , lovely staff - an unfound gem !!!
Ribs are great - ask for the sauce on the side if you don't like them to sticky. Guinea fowl starter is a must.

1  Thank Karen T
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had to go to The Sun Inn after a recommendation from a friend about their triple cooked chips and I was not disappointed. They were to die for. My husband and I had a sharing platter with some of these bad boys and it was a perfect lunch. Children's area out the back that is enclosed and a fabulous looking menu. I shall be back again to try some of the other dining delights.