“An excellent stay”

Holiday Inn Basingstoke
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had a very positive experience at this hotel when I stayed for two nights over the Easter weekend with my two young children. We were visiting friends and family in the area and I booked based on the location and the good value advance rate.

I found the rooms to be very clean and have good bathrooms with baths (essential for me to be able to bathe my kids). The receptionists and staff in general were lovely, and there were nice touches such as the soda and lime drink you can help yourself to on arrival at the reception desk, and, as it was over Easter, they left some chocolate eggs in the room. Even though it is a chain hotel they made an effort to give us a personal and friendly experience.

There was one small problem on our second day which was my fault entirely; I spilled some water from a bunch of flowers on a bed and once I'd alerted the staff they immediately gave me the keys to the room opposite (which was vacant) so that we could move there, as this was the quickest/best solution for everyone. They could not have been nicer about it, even though it was my fault.

Breakfast was excellent; at £9.50 for an adult I think it's good value with plenty of choice - including a pancake machine! - and the food looked fresh and nicely cooked. We would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you sign up to membership I believe there is no charge for wifi in the rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Caroline B

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Basingstoke.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your experience with us over the Easter period, even more so that your needs were met in terms of accommodation and service. It is reassuring to know that the hotel team were quick to respond to your dilemma and that they did so with good grace.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is an OK stop for one night.

The staff are excellent and very supportive.

My Exec room was tiny with a small double bed and no room to swing a cat etc.. The shower was poor for an Exec room as it was integral part of the bath.

The hotel is well worn and in need of a face lift.

Room Tip: Overnight is OK
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Dave H

I have shared with the staff your kind words regarding their level of service and supportiveness.
Your comments regarding room size and decor have been documented for further review.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was looking for a hotel in Bracknell as I had a meeting there the next day. Unfortunately this was the nearest that my travel company could get me at short notice. it was fine just impersonal, boring and lacking any kind of character or charm. It was designed for people like me, travelling on business who need a standard room, clean and with all the relevant amenities - but there is no flair or a sense of you being really welcome. I got the impression I was just another customer - nothing special. PLus my room was about a mile away from reception - add that to the yards I put on walking from the car park made it a long tek to my bed!!!

Room Tip: arrive early and get a parking space close to reception then ask for a room within walking distance
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear 509Martin

Your comments have been documented for further review.
Kind regards

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, the breakfast on both days was disappointing. On the Sunday morning there were a number of people who had stayed over and for the cooked breakfast they did not cope was running out of everything so could not get all that you wanted consequently if you did start to take some of it then it got cold. Was a shambles. They then ran out of bread for toast having to ask and wait for bread. On the second morning with very few people staying over on the Sunday night there was everything to choose from but it had been standing for so long it was hard and cold. Did complain and was refunded the cost of the breakfast but when you do not normally have a cooked breakfast and look forward to it, it does not really compensate. The other problem had was that when going to have a shower on the 2nd morning found they had only left one bath sheet again disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank hopalong6845
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear hopalong6845

Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in breakfast service you received during your recent stay.

Please be assured that your feedback has been reviewed with the appropriate departments for their information and action. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously, and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in us in the future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I use the IHG group of hotels regularly and usually I am very pleased by the service but on this occasion the staff let their hotel down.
Reception was very poor and as a regular user would normally get acknowledgement of this and confirmation of the additional benefits I was entitled to.

When I got to my room I wished to ask for information from the front desk despite trying on three occasions my calls were not answered and on the 4th call the phone was lifted and then put back down by someone at reception. Not the kind of service I expect. I decided that a hotel that could not even perform this kind of service was not worth dining in so dined out.
Breakfast the next morning was a bit hit and miss, fruit juices listed on the table were not there (empty jugs not replenished) and the food was over cooked, hard, should have been removed and fresh (bacon, hash browns & mushrooms) put out.

Overall a hotel I will probably avoid when staying in this area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
admin55, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear MIB – 53

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in the service you received during your recent stay.

As a regular guest at Holiday Inn, it is disappointing to learn that the usual high service standards were not upheld on this occasion. Please be assured that your feedback has been reviewed with the appropriate departments for their information and action.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our service in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is at best average , location is quiet which is one of the only benefits
Staff are helpful and attentive , rooms are pretty average , nothing in walking distance if you want to walk to a restaurant or bar but useful to be able to get back on the M3

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Weldge

It disappointing to read that you feel the hotel itself is average, however I am most pleased to see that you found the hotel staff to be helpful and attentive. I will ensure that I share your positive comments with them.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and that our reception team can direct you, should you wish, toward some of the local eateries which are 10 minutes walking distance.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Really attentive staff provided great service. Hotel on the other hand is over priced compared to others in the town with smaller rooms, no free wifi, restricted freeview channels and whilst food was good it was expensive for what it was. (sausage and mash was cheapest main @ £12.50! ) Buffet breakfast was good with hot and cold selection. Was rudely awakened by some lovely person banging loudly on my door at 3.30am, I reported it to reception who told me they thought it was some people who had just come in from the town. Sorry but I won't be staying here again when others offer better value for money and more facilities.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Faiergreen,
It is disappointing for me that the hotel facilities and pricing did not meet your expectations and that you were disturbed in the early hours by a fellow guest. Please accept my personal apologies for your broken sleep.
Holiday Inn endeavour to recognise our loyal guests and as such, free Wi-Fi has been introduced for our Elite IHG Reward Club members, and is scheduled to be offered to all Club members later in 2014.
I was however, extremely happy to read that you found our hotel team to be really attentive. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with them.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.