“Much better than one would expect”

Holiday Inn Basingstoke
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Briport
“Much better than one would expect”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I called the day before arrival to make sure that the reception would be open at 11pm and was assured it would be. When we arrived the place was buzzing, with residents relaxing in the foyer and on the ground floor. Checking in with the cheerful staff took about 5 minutes and when we got to the bedroom we were surprised at the size, not to mention the size of the bathroom. There did not appear to be any air conditioning in the room, but windows did open and although we were on the front door side, nothing disturbed our sleep.
Breakfast was in a high ceilinged room that was light and airy. The choice was excellent with a variety of cereals, cold meats and cheeses and the full English breakfast. Few residents seemed to want the black pudding, so it was somewhat crusted over, but inside the taste was fine.
One carp - as with all hotels, was that the napkins and the toilet paper were all single layered. False economy, as everyone takes more than they actually need, so waste more than if they were double or triple layered in the first instance.
This stop over was en route to Norfolk from Dorset, so we actually only spent 10 hours in the hotel, during which we were asleep for 8 hours, but I would have no reservations in recommending it to anyone, be it a one night stop, or for a few days while exploring the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Clive R
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Clive R

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Basingstoke.

I am delighted to read that our team welcomed you cheerfully, that you liked the vibrant atmosphere on arrival and the breakfast selection.

Hopefully you will visit us again soon and have the opportunity to spend a little longer with us.

David Pickering

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having had a very long day touring Hampshire last Friday the wife and I arrived at the hotel just after midnight, the reception staff were waiting for our coach party with a warm smile and our keys. In less than a couple of minutes we were on our way to our room, and straight to bed. after a good nights undisturbed sleep we made our way to breakfast which was buffet style, well stocked and served by very helpful and attentive staff and we were spoiled for choice for full English or healthy eating. The room and all areas of the hotel were spotless. I will be using this hotel again as I intend to return to the area.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 130
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon068
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Jon068

I am delighted to receive feedback that our team continue to welcome our guests with warmth, regardless of the time of day, and that we are now a hotel of choice for you following your experience with us. I will ensure your positive comments are shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had a very positive experience at this hotel when I stayed for two nights over the Easter weekend with my two young children. We were visiting friends and family in the area and I booked based on the location and the good value advance rate.

I found the rooms to be very clean and have good bathrooms with baths (essential for me to be able to bathe my kids). The receptionists and staff in general were lovely, and there were nice touches such as the soda and lime drink you can help yourself to on arrival at the reception desk, and, as it was over Easter, they left some chocolate eggs in the room. Even though it is a chain hotel they made an effort to give us a personal and friendly experience.

There was one small problem on our second day which was my fault entirely; I spilled some water from a bunch of flowers on a bed and once I'd alerted the staff they immediately gave me the keys to the room opposite (which was vacant) so that we could move there, as this was the quickest/best solution for everyone. They could not have been nicer about it, even though it was my fault.

Breakfast was excellent; at £9.50 for an adult I think it's good value with plenty of choice - including a pancake machine! - and the food looked fresh and nicely cooked. We would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you sign up to membership I believe there is no charge for wifi in the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Caroline B

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your experience with us over the Easter period, even more so that your needs were met in terms of accommodation and service. It is reassuring to know that the hotel team were quick to respond to your dilemma and that they did so with good grace.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bagshot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is an OK stop for one night.

The staff are excellent and very supportive.

My Exec room was tiny with a small double bed and no room to swing a cat etc.. The shower was poor for an Exec room as it was integral part of the bath.

The hotel is well worn and in need of a face lift.

Room Tip: Overnight is OK
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Dave H

I have shared with the staff your kind words regarding their level of service and supportiveness.
Your comments regarding room size and decor have been documented for further review.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was looking for a hotel in Bracknell as I had a meeting there the next day. Unfortunately this was the nearest that my travel company could get me at short notice. it was fine just impersonal, boring and lacking any kind of character or charm. It was designed for people like me, travelling on business who need a standard room, clean and with all the relevant amenities - but there is no flair or a sense of you being really welcome. I got the impression I was just another customer - nothing special. PLus my room was about a mile away from reception - add that to the yards I put on walking from the car park made it a long tek to my bed!!!

Room Tip: arrive early and get a parking space close to reception then ask for a room within walking distance
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear 509Martin

Your comments have been documented for further review.

cambridgeshire
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, the breakfast on both days was disappointing. On the Sunday morning there were a number of people who had stayed over and for the cooked breakfast they did not cope was running out of everything so could not get all that you wanted consequently if you did start to take some of it then it got cold. Was a shambles. They then ran out of bread for toast having to ask and wait for bread. On the second morning with very few people staying over on the Sunday night there was everything to choose from but it had been standing for so long it was hard and cold. Did complain and was refunded the cost of the breakfast but when you do not normally have a cooked breakfast and look forward to it, it does not really compensate. The other problem had was that when going to have a shower on the 2nd morning found they had only left one bath sheet again disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank hopalong6845
Guest_Response_TA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear hopalong6845

Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in breakfast service you received during your recent stay.

Please be assured that your feedback has been reviewed with the appropriate departments for their information and action. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously, and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in us in the future.

Larkhall
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I use the IHG group of hotels regularly and usually I am very pleased by the service but on this occasion the staff let their hotel down.
Reception was very poor and as a regular user would normally get acknowledgement of this and confirmation of the additional benefits I was entitled to.

When I got to my room I wished to ask for information from the front desk despite trying on three occasions my calls were not answered and on the 4th call the phone was lifted and then put back down by someone at reception. Not the kind of service I expect. I decided that a hotel that could not even perform this kind of service was not worth dining in so dined out.
Breakfast the next morning was a bit hit and miss, fruit juices listed on the table were not there (empty jugs not replenished) and the food was over cooked, hard, should have been removed and fresh (bacon, hash browns & mushrooms) put out.

Overall a hotel I will probably avoid when staying in this area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
admin55, General Manager at Holiday Inn Basingstoke, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear MIB – 53

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in the service you received during your recent stay.

As a regular guest at Holiday Inn, it is disappointing to learn that the usual high service standards were not upheld on this occasion. Please be assured that your feedback has been reviewed with the appropriate departments for their information and action.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our service in the near future.