“Overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Peebles, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

A good £7 taxi ride from the centre of town means it is not well situated for visitors to Basingstoke. That said if you are unfortunate enough to visit Basingstoke then the location of the hotel will be the least of your problems.

The restaurant is vastly overpriced, as is the bar. The food quality is not great.

The staff are attentive and pleasant and I feel they deserve a better proposition than the Apollo.

If you want a swim try your bath - it is bigger than the pool. The fitness centre is small and overcrowded.

Room Tip: Well away from the lifts is a must - there are a lot of business travelers here and the noise will k...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
radford1, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Basingstoke, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
The town as we describe is accessible we do not state the cost and that is down to a third party pricing policy. I do believe the description of the bath being bigger than the swimming pool is totally incorrect and comments like this are not very helpful and serve no purpose. Whilst we accept the comments of the food as being sensible and helpful we at all times try to aspire to high standards. We obviously did not meet yours

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012 via mobile

Nice reception area with pleasant staff. Double room on third floor? Adequate for one person, very 1980's decor not particularly clean. Bathroom is tiny and grubby....not pleasant at all. Room service was quick and main course was quite good, not very warm for chicken with sauté potates but pleasant taste. Couldn't eat dessert as never got a spoon or spare fork. Phoned down for a pen and an iron. Came quickly which was good. Service is ok, pleasant safe but cold food, no cutlery and grubby pot dated rooms let this hotel down. If you are expecting a four star hotel don't stay at the Apollo, there are better value, much nicer 3 star hotels in this area.
I stay in ths area every week, will I come back here? Never!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
radford1, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Basingstoke, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
The Bedrooms were all refurbished in 2001 when the complete Hotel was upgraded to a 4* Hotel.

I am sorry that you have reason to complain and at the time we did not charge for the items you had mentioned. We believe that we put the issues right at the time. We pride ourselves on offering a fine hotel and good services and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not come up to your expectations

Travellers are raving about these Basingstoke hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

When I arrived at this hotel I expected the usual out of town hotel from a chain, but that wasn't what I got, I was pleasantly surprised. A lovely pool, and a gymn, pleasant staff, clean well decorated rooms, quality fittings. Whilst the location is on a round about near a large housing estate when you are in the hotel it still retains a lovely countryside feel all of the rooms to the rear of the hotel look out over a grassed area where rabbits were feeding. The high bracken hedge completely obscures any views of the surrounding houses.
I would recommend this hotel to tourists and business people alike, and would certainly return there myself

Room Tip: I would choose a room to the rear of the hotel which looks out over the nice grassy grounds.+
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank enigma_rob
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I was only staying for a night, as I was attending at wedding. The receptionist was abrupt and grumpy which I put down to me arriving at 2pm when there was a change over of staff. However all the other wedding guests had received the same treatment. The room was adequate for one person staying for a night. The best part was the power shower that was hot and powerful. This was lovely in the morning. I was told that breakfast did not open until 8am on Sunday, however when I went down at 8am it was packed with families and screaming children. There must have been a coach party who were having their breakfast before going onwards, but it meant I had the most unrelaxing breakfast with none of the staff being able to help to find a cup of tea. Typically once I had finished my breakfast an was leaving the restaurant had cleared. If the restaurant manager had been at his reception explaining that I should wait and return in 10 minutes, instead of running around with refills of food, then I would have been happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from families with small children and babies.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Somerset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights when attending a conference at the Ark. The overall impression is that the staff don't care about the clients or the state of the hotel.
Checking in was fine, the room was on the 3rd floor - a very small double room with ok bathroom. The room and bathroom were not properly clean and colleagues had to ask for their rooms to be cleaned during the stay.
The room suffered from a lot of noise audible from both the corridor and adjacent rooms.
The evening food was the worst part. I ate their 3 nights as the food was included in the price. The first night was a buffett of chicken or a stir-fry. The food was cool (as in not warm) and tasteless. Since a lot of people stayed at the hotel the food ran out. This continued during the week with the food being not warm and poor quality. I complained to the restuarant manager who offered a bottle of wine but overall the impression I got was that the quality of food in the resturant was well known although only by the guests who generally ate somewhere else.

I used the gym which was quiet small (people were queueing to us the equipment) and had no air conditioning.
The staff were generally unaffected by any negative feedback, just nodding to comments but not offering any solutions.

This is not a 4 star hotel.

Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Percombe
radford1, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Basingstoke, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
I have noted your comments and my apologies if we did not get it right this time. We always listen to our customer feed back and take all comments very seriously
bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

comfortable beds, nice to be able to use the swimming pool, generally waited too long to get coffee at breakfast and needed to seek it out twice in four days, bar food better than evening 'help yourself' selection. Food lovely in al a carte restaurant but not especially welcoming or flexible on the evening we tried it so didn't go back. Very convenient hotel when using The (excellent) Ark Conference venue a short drive away.

Room Tip: rooms warm, switch towel rail off and open the window, on a busy roundabout so you will then hear ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank family0fthree3
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

When I booked the Apollo for my mother (mother of the Bride) 14th & 15th September 2012, I asked for a family room and informed the hotel the number of adults and children staying. The very helpful reception lady told me this would not be a problem and that the hotel was able to cater for our needs.
On my return from my honeymoon - Thank fully at a very beatiful hotel elsewhere - My mother told me of her stay at the Apollo and I was horrified.
The room she stayed in should have catered for 2 children and 2 adults but to call what they stayed in a family room was laughable! Everyone staying in the room had to get into bed by climbing in at the bottom owing to the fact that they had wedged so many beds in that there was less than a 2 inch gap between them and the room itself was so small that the distance between the foot of the beds and the opposit wall couldnt have been more that 4 foot and there were desks there!!! The phone didnt work in the room and there were no extra pillows. Given the hotel knew my diabetic niece was staying I was just thank full that my parents had mobile phone so they could have called an ambulance for her if needed!!
Thr first morning of their stay, the hotel tried to charge for breakfast that was already included in the booking....this was the morning of the wedding when no more stress was needed, and on departure they were overcharged.
I contacted the hotel and after several emails I was told that they would refund the money they had over charged us by "as a gesture of good will". Anyone who thinks returning money that they had taken fraudulanty is a gesture of good will must have very low standards. Suffice to say, we were appalled at the overall standard of the hotel and the aftercare received when we raised these isses with the manager.
This hotel may be fine for the odd night for business travel but I certainly wouldnt recomend them for anything else - and given the experience we had I would steer clear of them for wedding related things too!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere other than the Apollo!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Anna B
Thank you for posting your comments. I refer to our exchange of E mails regarding this issue