“Adaquate but not a 4 Star!”

Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Adaquate but not a 4 Star!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Okay, so I stayed here for 3 nights on business, the staff are very friendly and the food is very good. The downside is the bedrooms, rather small for £120 per night! It would of been very "cosy" if there had been 2 of us in the room! No bottled water or fridge provided which I would expect from 4 star, toiletries are not replenished each day and the furniture is dark heavy wood which only adds to the feeling of claustrophobia. The 4 star rating however is reflected in the price of the wine - £7.45 for a 250ml glass!
I was at the back of the hotel and could hear some noise from the busy roundabout and the constant sirens of ambulances but I would not say it was detrimental to my sleep.
It's a real shame as this hotel has all the right base qualities, excellent staff, feels safe for a solo traveller, great position for Basingstoke, good leisure facilities and choice of food but the bedrooms need a total refurbishment and the price of the standard rooms for the space and facilities you are provided with needs to be reduced, my opinion is no more than £70-£80 per night.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room at the back of the hotel, also if there are 2 or more of you an upgraded room w...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michaela D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is very to access from the highway and less than 5 minutes from the heart of Basingstoke. all the staff is very nice, very smiley, except one staff. A supervisor named "mike".

We had dinner on Friday eve with my wife for her birthday. The waitress was lovely. Sadly my wife found a ladybug in her salad. It can happens, but the reaction of the supervisor (Mike) was really strange.. None!!!
the waitress told him what's happens, and he didn't come to apologise, didn't propose anything else instead. He came to serve our mains courses and was ready to leave when we called him..." hello... about the salad? an apologize may be?" His only answer was, " ho yes, i said to the kitchen" And when this kind of incident happens, you make sure than everything is perfect! And we received our main courses which were cold!!

So again we called him, and his only answer was " ho, I can't reverse the time, it have nothing than i can do" so we just left, take a cabs and went to the town to eat.

But except that,everybody and everything else was perfect! The breakfast was very nice, the 2 canadians girls from the bar and the reception were nice, professional,with a good customer service"

We ate on Saturday eve in the gastro restaurant with this oldest italian guy which was lovely,funny and the food was tasty and superb!

The swimming pool and the ham man/sauna are good too. We had 2 treatment each which we enjoy very much. Same also the staff for the gym/treatment was very nice.

On Sunday morning when we checked out, we talked about the problem on Friday eve with this specific guy and after a chat, the manager took off £40.00 from our bill. Very nice gesture!

Room Tip: If you see the supervisor "Mike" in the restaurant, run away, it will be a disaster!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bistoufly
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife, my Daughter and I stayed in this hotel 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it so much, we returned. I was at first shocked to see some old boy walking through the corridor with a scruffy little terrier type dog. At 5pm just before dinner we hear a dog in one of the neighbouring rooms barking constantly. We reported this issue to the reception and were told that they would speak to them. We also reported the fact that he toilet was blocked and wasn't working. The receptionist told us that it was a guide dog. We went out for dinner. On returning to our room at about 9pm, we got out daughter ready for bed and retired for the night ourselves. At 10pm the dog starting barking continuously barking yet again...
We were furious! We reported the issue to the reception again and were told it was a guide dog and that they would have another word with the owner and to go back to the room. My wife stood outside of our room door waiting to see if the staff were going to do anything about the issue as the dog was still barking in the room. My wife was then confronted by the occupant of the room with a second scruffy little terrier dog. He did apologise for the dog barking, but we were now very bemused as to why dogs were in the room and why the staff never did anything about the situation.
Needless to say we spoke to the Manager the next morning who just said "sorry about that." The toilet wasn't fixed either. As we left and went to check out we mentioned it to the receptionist who seemed to be well aware of the issue and advised us "The Hotel don't allow dogs in to the hotel" but the tried to insult our intelligence by telling us "It is a medical dog." I then replied "What?? Both of them!! Are you having a laugh??" I then said "He's not blind, and if it was a medical dog and barked if he needed help. Why did no one come to his aid?" I never got any response. They then insult us further by reducing the bill and taking the VAT off the bill.

The swimming pool was still good and the breakfast was great, but the service and their rules and regulations have been a big let down. Don't take room 102. There'll be dog hairs all over it!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter G
radford1, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Basingstoke, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Good Day
The dogs in question are 2 medical dogs whose job is to ensure that the person stays alive. This particular gentlemen was flooded out of his house due to the poor weather. This hotel accepts guide dogs and medical dogs. I do find the comment "old Boy" unacceptable and I am sure that there are more adjectives that could have been used. My apologies regarding the toilet we will ensure that this is attended to

Travellers are raving about these Basingstoke hotels

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My partner and I did the Afternoon Tea and Spa experience we brought directly from the spa. However, really wish we had paid the Groupon price. The treatments were amazing, however the gym, pool and afternoon tea let it down. The changing rooms are tiny with hardly any room to get changed in, the gym equipment is very rusty and needed a good clean and the pool was very dirty. I did notice a sign to say that it is being refurb in April, i wouldn't advise visiting until after the refurb apart from the spa treatments.

The afternoon tea felt very regimental and too organised and we felt quite time restricted. I personally don't drink hot drinks and was quite suprised that when i asked for an alternative that i had to pay extra! We then found a hair in one of our cakes and told the barman and nothing was done about, not even an apology let alone any money back. We came out feeling unimpressived and slightly gutted we had spent so much money when we could have gone somwhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Holly C
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here on business. It was convenient for the offices but I was not impressed by the wifi which was very poor in my room. I ended up using my 4G off my mobile. Although the hotel is clean and comfortable, I don't think it is quite 4 star quality - the rooms feel tired. For evening meals I was not impressed by the food - OK but nothing to rave about.

It would not be my first choice of hotel in Basingstoke.

Room Tip: Too far from the stairs and wifi may be bad, too near the stairs and you'll hear everyone walkin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Clanfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband, daughter and I just booked 1 night away for a break and had a super time. Staff were very accommodating, facilities were wonderful and overall we could not fault our stay. We would definitely go again.

• Stayed February 2014
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Whilst the hotel itself was modern and welcoming and the room was adequate enough for my own needs. I stayed 1 night on my own. My complaint was, as the title suggests, I had the worst night sleep ever. The room was like an oven with no obvious means to control the temperature and the bed itself - THE MOST Uncomfortable bed I have ever tried to sleep on (I hardly slept). As I was spending the night on business, I wanted to have a meal but after analyzing my options it occurred to me the room service was the most economical option. I'm glad I chose that. It was presented well and tasted awesome. Breakfast in the morning was also worth its weight in gold with a buffet style of many types from cereals to continental to full English. All of the staff that I encountered as well were very pleasant and friendly but when I told them about the night all I got was a very brief sorry. I would not stay here again unless it was imperative.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business