“Spa day” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Spa day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Came here for a spa day with my friends, staff were friendly upon arrival. Some of the robes we were given were slightly dirty, no slippers provided although groupon deal stated they would be.
Pool itself was nice, but seating around the pool was very limited. Also changing room was small. Not enough space for amount of people using the facilities.
Spa treatments were good.
We also had afternoon tea which was lovely, very helpful and friendly staff, food was great.
So a mixed review overall, good points and bad points.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
Dorking, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Our stay here was probably on the most uncomfortable bed (a 4’ 6” double) I’ve ever slept on, with cheap hard pillows, a mattress protector which was too small so that it rucked up and formed hard ridges under the bottom sheet and a duvet which was the same size as the bed which meant when two people got under it, it no longer fitted and let draughts in both sides.

There were other minor housekeeping issues not worth making a fuss about at the time, and the room, although in need of some redecoration, was clean. The reception staff were polite and helpful but the breakfast staff couldn’t raise a smile between them.

The public spaces looked clean and the breakfast was as to be expected, but it doesn’t matter to me how wonderful these are if the quality of the basics like a comfortable bed has been completely overlooked.

I’ve had a far better night’s sleep at budget hotels where the basics are the priority.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Basingstoke hotels

Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Had a two night solo spa break here, booked on a whim that morning! Got an excellent deal that was real value for money. Have never been away alone before so was a bit nervous but the welcome was extremely warm. I cannot fault the customer service at this hotel and spa. Very friendly staff that couldn't do enough to help. I was totally at ease and wasn't made to feel conspicuous that I was on my own- despite the restaurants being very quiet. I thought the food was great. Plenty of choice and again, very good, prompt service. I also wasn't made to feel that I needed to make additional purchases to my deal. I wasn't pressured into buying 'extras'. This was important and meant that my stay cost me only what I'd paid for the original package- apart from a tube of toothpaste as I forgot mine!

The spa treatments were excellent. I wasn't rushed which I often find at spas. It's a small-ish spa, tho has everything you need but I would suggest that you only book here if you are happy to be quite active. I was very happy to spend time in the gym and pool but there is not much space for just sitting so you could be disappointed here. As a result of its location there is no outdoor space to relax and so you are limited to pool side. If these spaces are taken, I can understand why some people would be unhappy. Didn't matter for me as spent so much time using the facilities!

Would definitely return to this hotel. Elements are a little tired but on the whole it was clean and well loved. The staff made the stay though for me. I honestly can't remember the last time I went somewhere and all members of staff seemed happy and enthusiastic in their work. It rubs off!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I spent a Friday night here with my girlfriend as were in town to see friends we ate in the Vespa resturaunt and the good was awfull! I recommend eaten in the brasserie slightly cheaper and just as good quality! We had few little issues with our room but a house keeping lady called Angela was extremely friendly and very helpfull she sorted out room in no time! Other then that real nice hotel! Shame food letting it down! But not bad stay if your in the area!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iichickenpie7
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My gorgeous mates got me the groupon deal, afternoon tea for 4 with full spa access for my 30th birthday. I to use it by April 16th so we set about trying to figure a day we all have off, as we all work we needed a weekend. Found a date to be told on booking 'all the weekends are taken'. Finally found the date we could do/book time off for and got told that date was fine but the spa would be shut as it was being refurbished! All we could use was the pool, steam and sauna rooms. By that point we had no choice. When we got there we were quite disheartened, the changing room was literally tiny, only just fitting us 4. We noticed others had robes to walk around in so we asked for one each from the desk for which we got told they were only for the 'proper spa guests, not groupon customers' by the manager... I reminded him we already were missing a fundamental part of what we paid for but he wasn't interested. So all the people in gowns were looking at us freezing our bums off knowing we weren't full paying, It created a feeling like we weren't as entitled to be there and made a segregation, I found that very inappropriate. There was so little to do after less than an hour we got changed back into our clothes and asked for our lunch time to be brought forward, which they agreed. From that point on it was lovely, bar staff were fab and food was gorgeous, but the 'spa' part of it and the way we were treated was just awful. I wouldn't waste my money in the pool etc, it's small and dated, with enough chlorine in to gas a cat. Food/bar/bar staff saved the day from being a total disappointment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gemb8
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night. The hotel staff were lovely, they have a bar, comically called the library and two restaurants. The Vespa for fine dining and the brasserie. We ate in the brasserie and the food was very good. Alas the room we had left a lot to be desired. No air conditioning which meant the window had to be open all night but the hotel is situated on a ring road so there was LOTS of traffic noise. The bed was a small double, lumpy uncomfortable mattress and rock hard pillows. I woke up barely able to move and still had an awful neck ache over a day later.
My first thought when I knew I would have to have an overnight stay in basingstoke was to book a premier inn but I was persuaded by my other half not to stay there as he had heard that they are quite basic. They are luxurious compared to the room we ended up in. It's just not worth being in pain for

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank TraceyHertfordshire
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Me and my partner came here for the weekend for our anniversary but did not enjoy it Overall expensive, room was tiny and the bed we couldn't sleep in ended up sleeping on the floor and it was sloped either side and a hard lump in the center of the bed, the food for the evening was a lot more pricy then what originally was told so ended up ordering in!

But the breakfast was given free in the price of the room spa and gym the breakfast was enjoyable and staff where lovely and friendly. The pool was nice and enjoyable as barely anyone in the pool! But we had to bring our own towels and was told we should of had towels left on the bed for when we arrived but obviously not Gym we did not use as meant to be a relaxing romantic weekend (which ended up not being that great) we made our own giggles and entertainment to remember but the overall place I was not satisfied with, I did ask to speak to someone as I was upset with sleeping on the floor! But no one phoned me back.

So over all got ripped off to sleep on the floor and went home early, won't be going there again sorry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple