“A relaxed atmosphere”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“A relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have not eaten anything but lunch here and that was only once. I had cream cheese and ham sandwiches and tea and it was lovely.
What I like about the Tea Bar is the atmosphere. In some pubs you feel uneasy or hassled but here I feel chilled and relaxed. It is also great if you don't drink and want to be with mates who do as You can just have tea. They do amazing cocktails in clear glass teapots and on my last visit last week I had a Cosmopolitan which was £12.90 but I had enough to last the 3 hours or so I was there so to me it was great value. We went for a Mowtown night and the singer was great Especially when it was free. You never have a hustling clamber to the bar, the toilets are quaint and not miles away, they have some sofas and chairs as well as normal chairs and tables and it is fairly easy to get quite a large table. The decor and lighting is also very quaint. If you want an informal , relaxed night with friends or even you mum and dad, this is the place for you.

• Visited June 2014

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“I so wish this place will improve itself eventually...”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Before writing this review I have been to the Tea Bar 3 times. I didn't really write my first experience (which was really bad) and wanted to visit a second time, then wanted to visit 3rd time for the same reason.

First the positives: family friendly, cosy, friendly service, great atmosphere, toys for children, independent, quirky cups...feels like a loved and cared space.

Negatives: first visit; staff chatting behind bar instead of collecting, tidying up tables..that didn't happen on my 2nd&3rd visit.

Ordered baguettes; no spread on them, side salad dry. Asked for some olive oil, no olive oil available!!

Also, why serve Twinnings tea?! Ok you have maybe 10s of varieties, but really to call yourself a "Tea Bar", I would expect some cutting edge really original tea brands, like Tea pigs, etc. Twinnings is the sister company of Primark (not a good association) and if I want to drink Twinnings, I can easily get it as part of my weekly shopping...

This seems to be an independently owned cafe, which is great for Basingstoke, because apart from the usual chain type cafés, you can't find anything half decent in Basingstoke. So this place is a great achievement for this town, but if it wants to survive, it needs to do far more than what it has achieved so far.

3 Thank Senay Y
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food ok.....service could be better”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Took the family here today for afternoon tea on Father's Day. After taking our drinks order, waited ages for our selection of sandwiches. Once they arrived, all the sandwiches sat on the outside were already going crusty on the edges. The selection of fillings were nice though. Once we had eaten the sandwiches we were all just sat waiting for something else to happen as no one was attempting to clear our table or ask us if we had finished so I called a waitress over to make another drink order. She came back with drinks a little while later and then cleared the table. We then had to wait ages again for a selection of cakes to arrive. Scones (not real ones!) with cream and jam, a couple of cookies for the 2 kids and a few bite size cakes. The cakes were nice although we barely touched them due to eating the scones which filled us up. Not once through the whole 2 hours we were there, did any member of staff approach our table and ask us if everything was ok, or would we like anything. We won't be doing 'afternoon tea' there again.

Visited June 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Could be better!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Overpriced Champagne afternoon tea considering you get Prosecco £19 each - suggestion - serve Champagne and bring the sandwiches and scones out at the same time - selection of cakes were 2 types of cake just cut up and a glacier cherry plonked on top! Could be so much better - service not great, you don't get what you pay for in this place!

• Visited May 2014
Thatcham, United Kingdom
“Saturday Lunch treat - not such a treat”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Thought we would pop into the Tea Bar for lunch on Saturday 17th May. We sat outside as the weather was warm. The table still had dirty cups & plates on. We sat for a while no one came so decided to go in to get some menus & mention the plates. Just as we were deciding whether to leave a lad came out to take our order. Waited at least 45 minutes before getting our drinks & then another 15 minutes for our food, which was very disappointing. No brown baguettes or granary. I ordered a pulled pork & salad sandwich, which when it came was processed packed ham & lettuce, very tasteless & definitely not pull pork unless you count pulling it out the packet. My friend ordered a pulled pork & cheese panini, she received a ham & cheese toastie, my mum had a baguette which was ok but was given a dirty glass for her water.
We didn't get any cutlery or napkins & wasn't even asked if we wanted any.
It would be a nice little place if they invested in decently quality food, quicker service & cutlery.

Visited May 2014