“Like marmite - you'll either love or hate it”

Airkix Indoor Skydiving Basingstoke
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Basingstoke is the latest Airkix location and features 4 great activities.Pride of place is another 14ft (4.3m) diameter, super-smooth, super-fast wind tunnel for indoor skydiving. Set off from that and also overlooked by our new mezzanine viewing gallery are two Skiplex Ski slopes where anyone at any level from complete novice upwards can learn to ski or board. It's the fastest and most rewarding way to learn whether you want to just try it out or sign up for a course.Brushboarding - 'surfing without the wet stuff' - is instantly gratifying, huge fun, a great work-out and very cheap to try. Our latest addition is the Freedom Climber - a revolutionary rotating climbing wall that all ages will love to get to grips with.Add to this our party rooms and you have the perfect venue to try things you only dreamed of.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Banstead, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Like marmite - you'll either love or hate it”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Booked an experience for myself, partner and two children aged 8 and 11. 11 year old and my partner loved it, but I and 8 year old did not.

The briefing was delivered in such a fast, bored monotone that I had to ask the instructor to repeat about how to enter the tunnel as that instruction was lost in his droning. The wind tunnel is so noisy that you have to wear ear plugs and can only communicate via hand signals or by being shown instructions on a screen. We were told not to make our painfully-tight goggles any looser, with the result that I and my partner still had red marks on our faces the next day. It did not help that I banged my elbow hard onto the wall early in my first minute and the pain tipped the overall experience into one that i did not want to continue. (The instructor does attempt to stop people banging into the walls by grabbing them as they start to slide towards them, but they can't catch everyone all the time). Overall iI found the experience overwhelmingly confusing and uncomfortable.

The instructors kindly tried to overcome my 8 year old's fears by letting her lie on the mesh floor and offering to increase the wind speed gradually, but she refused. They let us transfer our unused/unwanted second minutes to my partner and 11 year old so they had a third minute each.

My partner and 11year old also paid £5 extra to be taken high up the wind tunnel with the instructor. They enjoyed it, although we saw some people in an earlier group retching afterwards as you go up very fast, whilst spinning around fast, then come down fast - which is nauseating. We did however see a 5 year old in a later group being taken up and down the tunnel more slowly, so it depends on the instructors as to how intense this add-on is.

The center is clean except for the one and only toilet that is available just before entering the wind tunnel. I recommend that you downstairs before coming up and putting your flight suit on, as the upstairs toilet seemed to suffer from a lot of mis-aiming and was quite unpleasant.

The videos were unwatchable - when played at home they were stationary for 4 seconds then jerked into movement then were stationary again etc. As far as we could tell, they showed the flights of everyone in the group (of 10) not just us, but as they played so slowly and jerkily we could not watch as far as us.

If we lived closer my 11year old would have booked to come again. fFom the demonstration the instructor gave, it is clearly possible for some people to become very proficient and have fun. However I would not want to go again.

Visited March 2014
6 Thank Katrina V

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“What an experience”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Went to Airkix for Sky diving lesson with my partner. What a fantastic experience it was! Would love to go again and reccomend paying the extra 5 quid for the swirly wirly experience thing.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Ahelos
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Visited in Easter holidays with spouse, 10 and 19 year old kids. Interesting experience. Booked with Tesco Clubcard vouchers - which was good value - 2 mins each and dvd of experience. Slight hassle in that the vouchers could not be redeemed online (had got mine Xmas and were "old style") so had to phone to book. Check in was painless and we went upstairs to wait for our time slot. In waiting area you can sit around (limited seats) and watch other skydivers having their turn through the clear sided tube. Some seem to master it straight away, others dont. These are at your level, so you get a good view of their flight and you can stand right next to the tube. Then your time slot is called and you enter a back area. Here you watch a 5 min video and learn some basic hand signals - most important is thumbs down = I want to get out! Then we all get into our all-in-one flight suits. You are encouraged to take off all jewellery and leave watched, keys etc in lockers (£1 non-refundable). I wear glasses and was told I could wear them (under tight fitting bendable goggles) but best experience is without. Having then seen the goggles everyone wore, am glad I took the off as think they would have been severely bent. We also all got earplugs (it is very noisy in the diving chamber) and then a helmet. Our instructor showed us the correct skydiving position and had us practice on skateboard type things on floor. In no time at all it was our turn to enter the chamber. The clear sided tube has a grating floor with a massive fan under. On one side is a seated waiting area with opening into the vertical wind tunnel. On other side is the control room where a man controls wind speed. An instructor goes into the wind tunnel with you and constantly gives you hand signals on what to do. The control room finds the right speed for you and you "hover" anywhere from 6 inches to 6 foot off the floor (mostly about 4ft for me). Quite enjoyed the experience and 1min was long enough at a time for me as was quite exhausing. Found it odd having strangers watch on from the waiting area, just feet away, while I had no control of my flapping cheeks and facial expressions! Our family was joined by another 6 in the chamber, so had to watch and wait for them before got another go. Some of them paid for extra ride up to top with instructor. Then when we had all had our turn, our instructor showed us some amazing moves of what is possible - shooting from floor to ceiling apparently just by stretching his limbs. Then doing some cool diving moves. Everyone got a certificate at the end with our progress marked - so if we come again we can learn the next moves. Enjoyed the experience as did other older ones but 10 year old wasnt so impressed. - found it hard to breath in the wind. As we watched others, majority of children took to it and had great time but there seemed to be one in most groups (while we were there) that found it too much. Instructors were sensitive though and did not force anyone.After the experience you can buy photos and dvd of your experience. However the dvd will contain everyone in the group that went into the chamber. Would I do this again - possibly, but I wont be rushing back.

1 Thank bluebuff
Hampshire, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“You have to do this, if only once!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Took my 10 year old and 2 of his friends here as a birthday treat. Not cheap at £40 each for 3 mins of falling/flying, but worth every penny. The boys absolutely loved it and can't wait to go again. I might well join them next time.

Reading, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Such Great fun book another!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had such a great time staff are all very cool and funny with thanks to Stu who made it great fun, this is harder than it looks. but started to get the knack of it the 2nd time ;), Book a return visit to try again and to relax! :)

1 Thank Jasonscott80