“Disapponted with the food.” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Fox Inn
Ranked #17 of 253 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Jamaican, Caribbean
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fox is an attractive Fullers pub on the edge of the village of Oakley near Basingstoke. It has lovely views across the Hampshire countryside. There is a large car park and a HUGE family garden with childrens' climbing frame, swings and slides as well as a separate garden area. There are 4 areas in the pub - The Den, which is mainly used for dining, the main bar, the pool/games room and the function room. We have a skittle alley, a pool table and various board games/cards available. We also have a 130ft well inside the pub!! We serve a mixture of Caribbean and European food, which is very reasonably priced, Fullers real ales (London Pride, HSB and a seasonal ale) an extensive wine list and full bar. Our large function room, with direct access to the garden is used regularly for parties, wedding receptions, wakes, business meetings and skittles evenings. We have regular events including live music, a monthly Caribbean buffet, a monthly Thai buffet, a music quiz, Family Fun Days and Fox Cubs, our weekly Wednesday morning stay 'n play group for pre-schoolers. There's always something going on at The Fox and you can be sure of a warm welcome from Buddy, Kate and the team!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disapponted with the food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

As a resident of Oakley I really want the Fox to be somewhere that I frequent regularly for food, however after my third trip back I had hoped that it would be less of a disappointment as it has been previously.

I ordered two courses the "Mexican Fish Cakes" and the "Curried Mutton".

The two fish cakes seemed home cooked, however there was a lot more potatoe than fish and the balance was wrong, which meant it was more of a potato cake. The breadcrumbs were those old orange ones that my Grandmother always used to use. And the Mexican element was simply a tub of that sweet chilli sauce that you can buy from any super market which was also disappointing.

The curried mutton was lovely, I am a huge fan of mutton and this was nice and tender, however the portion was quite small and even after two courses I found myself still needing further nourishment. This has happened before so I looked to see if I could order some bread to go with it, but there wasn't any available on the menu. It may be worth having some breads such as naan or chapattis or a Trinidad equivalent available to order separately from the menu.

My two children (2,4) ordered the meat balls and spaghetti which is their favourite, but they hardly touched their food. And I have to say that the meat balls where those cheap finely minced ones that you would expect in a microwave dinner.

In summary, this isn't for us, we have tried it three times and the food has not improved.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank HonestJon72
UkBuddy, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Honest Jon 72

As your review is a duplicate, I find it difficult to accept your comments as genuine as both you and your wife have now both posted negative reviews from the same visit and I think it is imperative that other genuine reviewers are aware of this. As your original comments were subsequently removed you still feel it necessary to repost your comments under the guidelines required. On this note I shall not respond to your comments which are unfounded and based on previous reviews from regulars I am sure visitors to this site are quite capable of making an informed decision based on previous and current reviews. It is on this note I wish you all the best in your travels and although the Fox is not for you, it is by far the place for most of the residents of Oakley and surrounding villages to visit.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Lovely welcome, great atmosphere, sadly disappointing food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Being a local Oakley resident, I have visited The Fox on a number of occasions, to show my support for a local family run pub, each time hoping that the food would be better than the previous occasion. Although Buddy & Kate are a great team, & do a lot for the local community. Sadly, every time I have eaten there I have been disappointed with the food, despite trying various different dishes from the menu. The Mexican prawn & cod fish cakes had no 'Mexican' influence, yes they tasted good but other than the sweet chilli dipping sauce, they were just fish cakes. I have also tried the jerk chicken, which I was really disappointed with as it was basically chicken just covered in a shop bought BBQ sauce. On another occasion I tried the chicken burger, again although the chicken was good, the roll was a cheap, nasty white roll you'd expect from a chippy & the chunky fries weren't even homemade & presentation was poor - I expected at least a bit of salad garnish & perhaps a ciabatta roll or rustic white, the last outing I tried the pork ribs - again they were smothered in a bottled BBQ sauce. Everything seems to be a little be too processed rather than home cooked. Sorry.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 162sarahj
UkBuddy, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Sarah

I am very sorry you felt we have let you down on many occasions and it seems we are unable to please in any sense. I remember you as you sat in the garden and was rude to my staff who were upset by your harsh tone. I however encouraged them to smile and be courteous and to do what ever they could to please you, obviously to no avail. With regards your our of the food I don't know what to tell you. The chicken burger comes with lettuce, tomato and Gherkin and if you required more salad, all you had to so was ask. With regards it not being in a ciabatta, perhaps a suggestion you would have preferred one, would have been more appropriate as other customers prefer a soft floured roll. To describe it as cheap and nasty is really uncalled for and not correct and also an insult to hard working people who own a chippy and deliver good British fish and chips. The ribs are described are BBQ ribs and I do not know what sauce you would expect on BBQ ribs other than BBQ sauce. The jerk, well I will let other reviews speak for themselves on that one. It is a shame you felt it necessary to be so harsh on our honest, affordable good pub / Caribbean food but that is your opinion and I respect that as I do all our customers feedback
HAMPSHIRE
“The best jerk chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Been here a few times now for Buddy's Jerk Chicken. It is amazing! I have been everywhere looking for somewhere that does great Jerk chicken and this is the best I've had anywhere by far. Chicken that falls off the bone, perfect rice, tasty coleslaw all spicy and full of flavour. Will be going back very soon to try some other dishes. Can't wait.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“A lite bite, well worth the journey.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Popped in on our way home from Andover. Drinks were fine, and the Bar-snacks ordered were prepared to perfection. Although this visit was a 'Spur of the moment' event, it was well worth the trouble of stopping.

Visited October 2013
“Thank you to The Fox!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Thank you, thank you to Buddy and his marvellous team for such a wonderful evening to celebrate our choir's 30th anniversary. Fantastic food, which was a real talking point for the evening. The function room looked great and the layout worked superbly for us. We all felt very well looked after. Great communication before the event meant I had every confidence that the evening would go smoothly. It was a great way to celebrate a milestone in our choir's history. Many thanks from me on behalf of our 51 guests. Cheers!

Visited May 2014