“What a wonderful experience”
Review of South Lodge

South Lodge
Ranked #1 of 33 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My stay at South Lodge was a wonderful experience from start to finish. The accommodation was 5 star along with the service. Julia and the team made me feel so welcome. The rooms were of the highest standard - immaculate. I had a terrific breakfast looking over the beautiful gardens. I'll be back and would recommend South Lodge to all.

Room Tip: Room 4 was amazing........
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 22 July 2013

South Lodge really is five star accommodation. You are made to feel like royalty. Though we will probably not stay again I have to take my hat off to the owners for the immense effort that has been invested into making a stay here a truly luxurious experience.

We loved:
---The beautiful, immaculately kept gardens.
---The super comfortable bed (and we are quite fussy about beds)
---The fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and home-baked, delicious treats left daily in our room.
---The breakfast....10/10 for content, service and presentation. Very very impressive.
---The location. Set in a peaceful village, you get all the benefits of a quiet rural setting, while being within ten minutes easy drive of Milton Keynes proper.
---The fact that I left my mobile phone, money and bank cards in plain view in the room by mistake one day...and they were untouched when we returned.

What we thought could have improved:
---The thoroughness of the cleaning. We were told the room was cleaned daily, and the bed was indeed made up and the room had been tidied every evening when we returned. But this seemed a superficial 'clean' as the same crumbs in the middle of the floor on Thursday were still there two days later. A bath towel we wished to have changed we left on the floor. It was merely folded up and returned to the towel rack (still damp). This happened two days in a row until we asked for a clean towel. The proprietress apologised and said she would speak to the cleaner.
---The light! For reference, we stayed in room 4. Our room had stunning sliding patio doors with integral Venetian blinds. The front door was mostly glass and had (separate) venetians, as did the bathroom window. The velux roof window had a blackout blind which was very effective. However this is where the ability to block out light ended. Even with all the blinds closed fully the room admitted a great deal of light, so much so that without the three stick-on blackout blinds we brought with us, we would have had no chance of having the room dark enough for sleep until at least eleven pm considering it was mid July. Even with our stick-on blinds it was a real struggle to get the room dark in the evening. The front door and bathroom window were west facing, causing a problem in the evening, and the patio doors were east facing, making for a very early wake-up! I have to say in fairness that because we had a five month old baby with us we were more sensitive to the issue of light. I daresay many people would not mind it, besides which, in summer most people would stay out quite late anyway. So while this was a problem for us, and probably the main reason we would not return, I'm sure it would not be the case for everybody.
---The breakfast does not start until 8am at weekends. We found this inconvenient, as we wished to leave at 7.30 each morning. The proprietress was very helpful in arranging for cereal, milk, fresh fruit, and juice to be put in our room the day before so that we had something nice to eat in the mornings, but we were disappointed at not being able to enjoy the cooked breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday. So it is worth noting that if you want to leave early on your day trips at the weekend you will not have a cooked breakfast.

Things you might want to know:
----The bath towels are not very big. They are actually bath 'towels' not bath 'sheets'. If you like the comfort of a big towel that covers everything, bring your own.
----The bath robes are (I would guess) size medium. My husband and I aren't huge but we aren't skinny either. The robes were a bit on the skimpy side. So if you're bigger than a size 12-14, again, bring your own if its important to you.
----The bathroom door is frosted glass, not solid, and is fairly see-through. So just bare this in mind (pun intended, sorry)
----If you do bring a baby, it might be worth bringing their own bedding. A waterproof mat, along with a quilt and pillow were provided for use in the travel cot but we preferred to use our own baby sheets.

In conclusion, South Lodge definitely deserves five stars. The accommodation is contemporary, stylish, well equipped, and generally very comfortable. The setting is absolutely stunning. Aside from the few small points mentioned, we think it as near perfection as a guest house can be. If opaque curtains were fitted and breakfast was served an hour earlier at weekends, we would stay here every summer without hesitation.
It is worth saying that in all probability guests at South Lodge usually do not stay with babies or children, and as such, our review may be of limited use to the usual clientele.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to put together such extensive feedback, and for your praise of South Lodge. I think it appropriate to address the areas that you feel could be improved:

Cleaning! I am truly horrified that this has happened. When guests stay more than one night their room is much more than 'tidied', in fact the rooms are cleaned as much as they can be given the presence of guests' items, with all hard floors being both mopped and vacuumed every day. I can only apologise, and make my own checks more rigorous, as it slipped past me as well.

The light. This is clearly an area that's hard to please everyone. We are a contemporary B&B, which means lots of glass and light spaces. I'm sorry it didn't suit you and I was glad you came prepared. I would say that we do have infants staying on a fairly regular basis.

The breakfast. As with all customer focussed enterprises we have to make a judgement about most likely demand, and the breakfast time at weekends starts and finishes later to reflect this. For B&Bs, 8am seems to be industry standard.

Towels and robes. In accordance with our eco friendly policy, we don't put bath sheets in the room but they are available on request, and this is explained in the room notes.We have a variety of robe sizes too; if you'd asked I'm sure we could have found larger ones.

However, I'm very pleased that you still consider your overall experience to be five star! Thanks once again and best wishes,

Julia
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I am glad my usual venue - HIE - was fully booked - as I can truly say this was the most fabulous place to stay. The room was large and airy with a small kitchen area, and a home made blueberry muffin as an arrivel treat. It is not many landladies who would give to a lift to your evening meeting point but this was freely and willingly offered. Breakfast was excellent - I chose fresh fruit (strawberries from the garden) salmon and scrambled eggs which were cooked to perfection, and excellent granary bread with home made preserves. Don't miss it!.

Room Tip: I had room 3 as it was he only one available - but this was fabulous and had direct access to the lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The best Bed and Breakfast ever. Very relaxing stay, great food, unique design, amazing gardens. Good value for money, only 5mins walk from the local pub. Great place for a romantic weekend or family holiday.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great! Really high standard.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I know you we're here for a special occasion so extra glad it went well.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Have been going to the British Grand Prix for the past 9 years and this is the best accommodation we have stayed at during all our stay's around Milton Keynes. The room was lovely and the host's were brilliant. The day start's with a gorgeous breakfast and when you get back to your room at the end of your day you are treated to some homemade treats. This really is a fabulous place and you will be stupid not to stay here if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The best B&B I've ever stayed in. Loved it . The feel of the place just made you feel relaxed and pampered. I felt as if I had entered a really expensive hotel and almost had to pinch myself that work had booked me to stay here as it seemed to good to be true. If you need to stay for work overnight in MIlton Keynes this beats all the grotty budget hotels dotted around the country and in truth should not be compared to them because it was in a class of its own. I told the owner that she should enter the show called three in a bed where B&B owners visit each other and rate/ slate their stay ,then they only pay what they think they should pay. I think south lodge would win hands downs !!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
SouthLodgeBrid, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
I'm afraid that you posted this review to South Lodge, Bridlington instead of South Lodge, Milton Keynes. I have informed tripadvisor and hopefully they will re-post it to the correct establishment.
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Reviewed By Traveller from Lee on Solent, GB
Date of stay 7th June 2013
Location 5 - Excellent
Cleanliness 5 - Excellent
Facilities 5 - Excellent
Service / Staff 5 - Excellent
Would you recommend this property to other travellers? Yes
Comments about this property South Lodge was perfect for our one night stay. The room was excellent and the en suite....beautiful light and airy feel. Excellent breakfast freshly cooked and we felt most welcome.
You could tell that a lot of effort had been put into this establishment, nothing was missed, to enable an extremely comfortable stay.

We would certainly use South Lodge again, if in the area.
Tips for other travellers We were directed to a great pub within walking distance where we had an excellent supper in very pleasant surroundings....The Wayven Arms...recommended. We then had a memorable lunch at the Paris House Restaurant in Woburn....superb.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple