“A warm welcome”

Ranked #1 of 32 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

South Lodge is lovely. I stayed in Room 1 which was spotless and bright and very well appointed. I cannot think of anything that could have been improved. The bedroom and bathroom were modern and done to a very high standard. The water, juice and particularly the fresh milk in the fridge were a lovely touch along with the home made cake and home made marmalade, jam and bread at breakfast. Having recently stayed in several nice but impersonal hotels, South Lodge was a huge change in terms of welcome and facilities. I hope to return.
Tips for other travellers Nice Indian restaurant in Woburn Sands.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
huddersfield
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Spent a wonderful night here, the host, Julia was lovely and the room was immaculate, very thorough with explicit knowledge of how the fixtures and fittings worked, they have clearly invested a huge amount of money ensuring the environment is just perfect - the room was huge, the bed super comfy all in all couldn't fault anything..........apart from the lack of darkness - as previously reviewed the lighting through the blinds is, if like me you are a light sleeper far too bright, which led to very little sleep, I would imagine in the winter it wouldn't be a problem, but when everything else had been so thoughtfully considered it seemed a shame, I would, however re-book without hesitation.

Room Tip: Please note it doesn't have a fitness centre or pool, it wouldn't let me change it....
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review and for raising the issue of light in your room. This has been raised a couple of times recently and has therefore caused us to give it some thought. We now plan to create a 'blackout' option in one or two of the rooms so guests can take this into consideration when choosing a room. This involves a bit of work but should be ready for next spring!

I don't know who you are so don't know what room you were in. I'd like to point out though that rooms do vary so future guests who prefer it darker might check with me first.

So thanks again - feedback is always useful!

Best wishes

Julia
Shropshire
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We loved this place. The atmosphere is calm and restful. The rooms are elegant, spacious, comfortable and open onto the furnished outdoor terrace in a beautifully kept garden. Freshly baked treats, lots of bottled water, orange juice and high quality tea and coffee (including cafetiere) are available free of charge in each room. There are extra towels and pillows if you want them. The toiletries are of good quality and smell lovely.
The owners have even provided a guide to the area recommending restaurants, places of interest etc.
Breakfast is wonderful. There is a huge choice and all the portions are generous. Try the kippers; they are lovely. We particularly enjoyed the home made jams and marmalades. Next time we would certainly book dinner as well as the cook is very good indeed!
If I was in the area, or close to the area, I would not countenance using anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We hope to see you again sometime,

Best wishes,

Julia and Colin
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My stay at South Lodge was a wonderful experience from start to finish. The accommodation was 5 star along with the service. Julia and the team made me feel so welcome. The rooms were of the highest standard - immaculate. I had a terrific breakfast looking over the beautiful gardens. I'll be back and would recommend South Lodge to all.

Room Tip: Room 4 was amazing........
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 22 July 2013

South Lodge really is five star accommodation. You are made to feel like royalty. Though we will probably not stay again I have to take my hat off to the owners for the immense effort that has been invested into making a stay here a truly luxurious experience.

We loved:
---The beautiful, immaculately kept gardens.
---The super comfortable bed (and we are quite fussy about beds)
---The fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and home-baked, delicious treats left daily in our room.
---The breakfast....10/10 for content, service and presentation. Very very impressive.
---The location. Set in a peaceful village, you get all the benefits of a quiet rural setting, while being within ten minutes easy drive of Milton Keynes proper.
---The fact that I left my mobile phone, money and bank cards in plain view in the room by mistake one day...and they were untouched when we returned.

What we thought could have improved:
---The thoroughness of the cleaning. We were told the room was cleaned daily, and the bed was indeed made up and the room had been tidied every evening when we returned. But this seemed a superficial 'clean' as the same crumbs in the middle of the floor on Thursday were still there two days later. A bath towel we wished to have changed we left on the floor. It was merely folded up and returned to the towel rack (still damp). This happened two days in a row until we asked for a clean towel. The proprietress apologised and said she would speak to the cleaner.
---The light! For reference, we stayed in room 4. Our room had stunning sliding patio doors with integral Venetian blinds. The front door was mostly glass and had (separate) venetians, as did the bathroom window. The velux roof window had a blackout blind which was very effective. However this is where the ability to block out light ended. Even with all the blinds closed fully the room admitted a great deal of light, so much so that without the three stick-on blackout blinds we brought with us, we would have had no chance of having the room dark enough for sleep until at least eleven pm considering it was mid July. Even with our stick-on blinds it was a real struggle to get the room dark in the evening. The front door and bathroom window were west facing, causing a problem in the evening, and the patio doors were east facing, making for a very early wake-up! I have to say in fairness that because we had a five month old baby with us we were more sensitive to the issue of light. I daresay many people would not mind it, besides which, in summer most people would stay out quite late anyway. So while this was a problem for us, and probably the main reason we would not return, I'm sure it would not be the case for everybody.
---The breakfast does not start until 8am at weekends. We found this inconvenient, as we wished to leave at 7.30 each morning. The proprietress was very helpful in arranging for cereal, milk, fresh fruit, and juice to be put in our room the day before so that we had something nice to eat in the mornings, but we were disappointed at not being able to enjoy the cooked breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday. So it is worth noting that if you want to leave early on your day trips at the weekend you will not have a cooked breakfast.

Things you might want to know:
----The bath towels are not very big. They are actually bath 'towels' not bath 'sheets'. If you like the comfort of a big towel that covers everything, bring your own.
----The bath robes are (I would guess) size medium. My husband and I aren't huge but we aren't skinny either. The robes were a bit on the skimpy side. So if you're bigger than a size 12-14, again, bring your own if its important to you.
----The bathroom door is frosted glass, not solid, and is fairly see-through. So just bare this in mind (pun intended, sorry)
----If you do bring a baby, it might be worth bringing their own bedding. A waterproof mat, along with a quilt and pillow were provided for use in the travel cot but we preferred to use our own baby sheets.

In conclusion, South Lodge definitely deserves five stars. The accommodation is contemporary, stylish, well equipped, and generally very comfortable. The setting is absolutely stunning. Aside from the few small points mentioned, we think it as near perfection as a guest house can be. If opaque curtains were fitted and breakfast was served an hour earlier at weekends, we would stay here every summer without hesitation.
It is worth saying that in all probability guests at South Lodge usually do not stay with babies or children, and as such, our review may be of limited use to the usual clientele.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to put together such extensive feedback, and for your praise of South Lodge. I think it appropriate to address the areas that you feel could be improved:

Cleaning! I am truly horrified that this has happened. When guests stay more than one night their room is much more than 'tidied', in fact the rooms are cleaned as much as they can be given the presence of guests' items, with all hard floors being both mopped and vacuumed every day. I can only apologise, and make my own checks more rigorous, as it slipped past me as well.

The light. This is clearly an area that's hard to please everyone. We are a contemporary B&B, which means lots of glass and light spaces. I'm sorry it didn't suit you and I was glad you came prepared. I would say that we do have infants staying on a fairly regular basis.

The breakfast. As with all customer focussed enterprises we have to make a judgement about most likely demand, and the breakfast time at weekends starts and finishes later to reflect this. For B&Bs, 8am seems to be industry standard.

Towels and robes. In accordance with our eco friendly policy, we don't put bath sheets in the room but they are available on request, and this is explained in the room notes.We have a variety of robe sizes too; if you'd asked I'm sure we could have found larger ones.

However, I'm very pleased that you still consider your overall experience to be five star! Thanks once again and best wishes,

Julia
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I am glad my usual venue - HIE - was fully booked - as I can truly say this was the most fabulous place to stay. The room was large and airy with a small kitchen area, and a home made blueberry muffin as an arrivel treat. It is not many landladies who would give to a lift to your evening meeting point but this was freely and willingly offered. Breakfast was excellent - I chose fresh fruit (strawberries from the garden) salmon and scrambled eggs which were cooked to perfection, and excellent granary bread with home made preserves. Don't miss it!.

Room Tip: I had room 3 as it was he only one available - but this was fabulous and had direct access to the lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The best Bed and Breakfast ever. Very relaxing stay, great food, unique design, amazing gardens. Good value for money, only 5mins walk from the local pub. Great place for a romantic weekend or family holiday.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great! Really high standard.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I know you we're here for a special occasion so extra glad it went well.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Keynes
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 34 in Milton Keynes
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes

Been to South Lodge? Share your experiences!