“Sister trip”
Review of South Lodge

South Lodge
Ranked #1 of 32 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My sister & I booked this B & B on a whim when organising a trip to THE STABLES THEATRE nearby.....and we struck gold. From the first email & phone communications with Julia we received kind and courteous service and advice as to what to see and do around the area. We had room 3, a spacious room in the beautiful eco friendly artistic home. We had a convenient parking space, 2 beds a kitchenette, own back entrance and shared terrace, I could go on..... Breakfast was a very enjoyable feast and our fellow guests had also been to THE STABLES the night before so we could all reminisce about our misspent youth and bands we still followed even though being around the 60's in age! We had a good meal in the WAVENDON ARMS halfway between the SOUTH LODGE and the theatre. Our only regrets were that we could not stay longer and that the weather did not allow us to use the pretty garden and terrace.

Room Tip: The website has a good selection of photos.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for South Lodge

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I recently booked 2 rooms for my wife and I as well as another couple who are friends of ours. I booked rooms 3 and 4 as they have there own entrance and terraces and both rooms were fantastic and wonderfully decorated, indeed the whole place had absolutely fantastic decor and was immaculate throughout. Breakfast was excellent with many choices and the owners very attentive. I would highly recommend South Lodge for anyone who enjoys the finer things in life. We will certainly be returning next time we head south.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin A
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a B & B to surpass all others! It is amazing. We originally booked a couple of months ago. I had bought a Bletchley Park ticket for my husband for his birthday with an overnight at South Lodge. Unfortunately my husband was unwell so we had to cancel. Julia very kindly said that if we re-booked within three months, we wouldn't lose our deposit. We felt this was really kind. We did re-book and have just come back from our stay.
We stayed in Room 1 which we loved, from the fab, sparkly bathroom floor to the beautiful home made biscuits in the room. Everything was really high-end. It is beautifully appointed in every way. It was lovely to lie in bed in the morning and watch the clouds go across the sky and then look into the beautiful gardens for a walk around. there are really interesting pieces of art everywhere and lots of interesting books on the bookshelves. We couldn't have asked for more.
We will definitely be going back to Bletchley Park and would have no doubt at all in staying at South Lodge.
We also had a stunning meal at the Purple Goose (separate review)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank City-Break-Lover
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

I'm so glad you had your stay at last, and hope that we might get to meet one day! I was also very glad to be able to help out with your cancellation; it's not something we can always manage but very pleased to do when we can.

I also heard you shopped at he excellent local boutique Kings Road - a favourite of mine too!

Best wishes,

Julia

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of October 2013, I was attending a course at Milton Keynes hospital and South Lodge was ideally located and better value and higher quality than some of the hotels nearby, getting there was easy and I had a warm welcome from Julie the owner.

I stayed in room four which was lovely, big, clean, fresh and airy. It was modern and felt instantly homely. It's has a mini kitchenette which came in handy as I could cater for myself. The kitchen was well stocked with the essential with top brand tea and coffee, the fridge was also stocked with plenty of milk, bottled water, fruit juice and freezer compartment with ice. The home made biscuits were an added treat.

The bathroom was lovely and shower welcoming, the complementary toiletries were REN which Google tells me can be bought at John Lewis and are not low range toiletries. Big fluffy dressing gowns, great.

The bed was devine. High quality bedding with a memory foam mattress, one of the best nights sleeps I've had in ages and has well and truly put my bed to shame.

I ordered a simple breakfast the night before and casually mentioned I will be at breakfast early, as soon as I arrived for breakfast I was greated with my order and fresh coffee. On the second day I was rushed so Julie offer to wrap up my breakfast to take with me. You can definitely say I was well looked after.

Julie has really thought of everything here, she could teach a few of the bigger boutique brands a thing or two on quality. Nothing was too much trouble. If I should need to go back I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2013

lovely place to stay as a treat with both sets of parents (for the first parental introductions no less!), beautiful gardens and the rooms are nicely designed and well thought-out.
We ate at the Swan at Salford which was really good both in terms of food and service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My wife and I elected to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary by taking a tour of great houses and castles of the UK. On the next to last night, we drove down from York with a stop in Hatfield to see the Burghley house (separately reviewed), and opted to spend the night in Milton Keynes at a site convenient to our next planned stop, Woburn Abbey.

The ratings for South Lodge was so superb, we decided to cast our lot there.

The place was a bit difficult to find. Ends up that Cross Road, off of Newport Road, is a semicircular road. When we saw a sign for that road, we turned off onto it, and ended up travelling down a very narrow road that eventually allowed us to find South Lodge, on the left, just prior to the southern end of the semicircle rejoining the A5. It would have been more efficient for us to have continued on Newport Road to the southern end of Cross Road, where indeed there is a small sign for South Lodge on the left hand side of the road.

We were graciously met by Colin, who gave us the necessary rundown on how to operate our room (2), view the gardens, order the next morning's breakfast, and he kindly helped us get our baggage into the room.

Others have previously accurately described the extreme comfort associated with a stay here. The bedroom and adjoining bathroom are very large. The bed was wonderful. My wife is allergic to feathers, so Colin found the hypoallergenic pillows for us, in the wardrobe, and replaced the original down duvet with a non-feather one. As we are Americans addicted to ice, he kindly brought us a nice ice bucket full!

The shower was a walk in type, offering options of rain shower or more conventional shower head spray, very nice power and as hot as one could want. The sink has a very interesting designer faucet, easy to use once the tricks of its manipulation are revealed. My wife had somehow turned on the fluorescent lamp in the left hand side of the bathroom mirror, and it took us some time to figure out how to turn it off! One must look for the small square in the bottom middle of the mirror. The informational book in the room summarizes the use of the various light switches, both in the bedroom and bathroom, and after playing around with them, it all made sense. Same applies to the remote for the shade for the skylight over the bed. The WiFi offered a strong signal with each room having its own router, and the speed was lightening fast.

We did hear some road noise late into the night off of Newport Road, but we were tired, so that did not bother us. We opted to leave our windows and skylight open and had a wonderful night’s sleep.

Breakfast choices were superb…we both opted for porridge (mine with 12 year old malt whiskey), delicious croissants. My wife enjoyed her corn pancakes and bacon, and my enormous kipper plus sausage were delightful. The dining area is bright and airy, a wonderful setting.

We also very much enjoyed the opportunity to meet one of the owners’ several English mastiffs…neither my wife nor I had EVER seen a dog as large as this breed, 250 pounds at maturity! The one we met was as handsome and friendly as could be.

The reviews previously posted here very accurately predicted the wonderfully unforgettable experience we had for our one night at South Lodge. Julie and Colin are the most pleasant of hosts. If your travels should bring you to this area, we have every confidence that you would enjoy this B&B just as much as did we.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at South Lodge on Friday 6 September. My son, daughter-in-law and 22 month old grand-daughter also stayed. The weather wasn't very good when we arrived and we had planned on having a picnic. I cannot thank the owners enough, we were told that we could use their big room and eat our picnic in there. This made life a lot easier especially having a young child around. A taxi had also been arranged for us to attend a wedding that afternoon. The garden and accommodation was lovely and the owners are very helpful and friendly. We would certainly stay again, it is home from home.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Glad everything ran smoothly, even with an unnecessary number of taxis...

Best wishes

Julia and Colin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Keynes
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 35 in Milton Keynes
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor

Been to South Lodge? Share your experiences!