“Wonderful wedding visit.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 39 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Wonderful wedding visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this lovely B&B the night before my wedding with my bridesmaids and mothers, as well as for my wedding night. Decor was fabulous and unsual, very spacious and comfortable. Spotlessly clean, great breakfast and facilities. Bathrooms have to be seen to believed! Lovely and genial hosts. Highly recommended!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is truly an absolute gem of a place to stay in Milton Keynes. The decor is modern and stunning, yet also comfortable and provides for a relaxing rest. And the friendliness of the owners is extremely welcoming after a hard day at work! There is no corporate branding here which is so refreshing! It is the perfect mix of comfort and modern chic - delicious home-baked biscuits in the room, equally delicious coffee (and real milk), fresh crisp linen on a huge bed. Stunning big bathroomwith super big bath! And fantastic contemporary artwork and sculptures in the relaxed and comfortable dining area. Superb breakfast. Sets you up for a great way to start another work day. All in all, this is in a class of its own.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We booked to stay one night at South Lodge as we were going to a concert at the Stables in Milton Keynes. We arrived from Canada on November 1st at 6:00 am. By the time we got to South Lodge it was 8:00 am which most hotels or B & B's would not be able to accommodate. Julia very kindly welcomed us and had a lovely room already. She offered us tea and toast before we went off to bed to rest up. Colin and Julia's place is immaculate and beautifully decorated. They couldn't have been more accommodating. They evened offered to drive us to our concert that evening. Breakfast had a lot of choices and was quite delicious including the homemade jams. We would not hesitate to return to or recommend South Lodge. It was one of the nicest B & B's we have stayed at. Our only regret was we weren't staying longer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thanks both for taking the trouble to place a review. We really appreciate it and do hope to see you again sometime!

Best wishes

Julia and Colin
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My sister & I booked this B & B on a whim when organising a trip to THE STABLES THEATRE nearby.....and we struck gold. From the first email & phone communications with Julia we received kind and courteous service and advice as to what to see and do around the area. We had room 3, a spacious room in the beautiful eco friendly artistic home. We had a convenient parking space, 2 beds a kitchenette, own back entrance and shared terrace, I could go on..... Breakfast was a very enjoyable feast and our fellow guests had also been to THE STABLES the night before so we could all reminisce about our misspent youth and bands we still followed even though being around the 60's in age! We had a good meal in the WAVENDON ARMS halfway between the SOUTH LODGE and the theatre. Our only regrets were that we could not stay longer and that the weather did not allow us to use the pretty garden and terrace.

Room Tip: The website has a good selection of photos.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hawick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I recently booked 2 rooms for my wife and I as well as another couple who are friends of ours. I booked rooms 3 and 4 as they have there own entrance and terraces and both rooms were fantastic and wonderfully decorated, indeed the whole place had absolutely fantastic decor and was immaculate throughout. Breakfast was excellent with many choices and the owners very attentive. I would highly recommend South Lodge for anyone who enjoys the finer things in life. We will certainly be returning next time we head south.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin A
Shepperton, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a B & B to surpass all others! It is amazing. We originally booked a couple of months ago. I had bought a Bletchley Park ticket for my husband for his birthday with an overnight at South Lodge. Unfortunately my husband was unwell so we had to cancel. Julia very kindly said that if we re-booked within three months, we wouldn't lose our deposit. We felt this was really kind. We did re-book and have just come back from our stay.
We stayed in Room 1 which we loved, from the fab, sparkly bathroom floor to the beautiful home made biscuits in the room. Everything was really high-end. It is beautifully appointed in every way. It was lovely to lie in bed in the morning and watch the clouds go across the sky and then look into the beautiful gardens for a walk around. there are really interesting pieces of art everywhere and lots of interesting books on the bookshelves. We couldn't have asked for more.
We will definitely be going back to Bletchley Park and would have no doubt at all in staying at South Lodge.
We also had a stunning meal at the Purple Goose (separate review)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank City-Break-Lover
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
I'm so glad you had your stay at last, and hope that we might get to meet one day! I was also very glad to be able to help out with your cancellation; it's not something we can always manage but very pleased to do when we can.

I also heard you shopped at he excellent local boutique Kings Road - a favourite of mine too!

Best wishes,

Julia
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of October 2013, I was attending a course at Milton Keynes hospital and South Lodge was ideally located and better value and higher quality than some of the hotels nearby, getting there was easy and I had a warm welcome from Julie the owner.

I stayed in room four which was lovely, big, clean, fresh and airy. It was modern and felt instantly homely. It's has a mini kitchenette which came in handy as I could cater for myself. The kitchen was well stocked with the essential with top brand tea and coffee, the fridge was also stocked with plenty of milk, bottled water, fruit juice and freezer compartment with ice. The home made biscuits were an added treat.

The bathroom was lovely and shower welcoming, the complementary toiletries were REN which Google tells me can be bought at John Lewis and are not low range toiletries. Big fluffy dressing gowns, great.

The bed was devine. High quality bedding with a memory foam mattress, one of the best nights sleeps I've had in ages and has well and truly put my bed to shame.

I ordered a simple breakfast the night before and casually mentioned I will be at breakfast early, as soon as I arrived for breakfast I was greated with my order and fresh coffee. On the second day I was rushed so Julie offer to wrap up my breakfast to take with me. You can definitely say I was well looked after.

Julie has really thought of everything here, she could teach a few of the bigger boutique brands a thing or two on quality. Nothing was too much trouble. If I should need to go back I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Jurys Inn Milton Keynes
#2 of 34 in Milton Keynes
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,092 reviews
Mercure Milton Keynes Parkside Hotel

Been to South Lodge? Share your experiences!