“A good treat”

Ranked #50 of 537 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Taipan is a Chinese restaurant based in the heart of Milton Keynes' Theatre district. Our food combines high quality and fresh ingredients to create a very modern take on traditional Chinese dishes. And because we are independent, we can craft new dishes and create bespoke meals to cater for individual tastes.Our chefs have worked in some of the most high profile restaurants in East Asia including the 5 star Shanghai Hilton and the Hong Kong Jockey Club (Formally the Royal Jockey Club). Because of their experience, we are able to offer a wide selection of dishes of the highest quality dishes, with Seafood and Dim Sum being some of our most established and popular dishes. At Taipan, we don't do anything by half measures. Our ingredients are hand-picked by our chefs from the highest quality sources - even our seafood menu has more dishes than most specialist seafood restaurants. The quality of our food is supplemented by our drinks menu, which includes a variety of some of the finest wines and champagnes from around the world. We'll help you decide what drinks best complement your food, to ensure that not a single taste is wasted. If you would like to know more about what goes in our food, please get in touch via our contacts page or Twitter feed and we'll be more than happy to chat.
“A good treat”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

My wife and I had another excellent meal at this friendly restaurant. We chose the set menu and the course kept coming with very little delay. The set menu was £30 a head, but well worth it. If anything there was just too much food on the table, with the waiter offering us at regular intervals a doggy bag. The restaurant was pretty full on the ground floor, and frequented by what appeared to regular clientele, which is always a good sign.

My only two quibbles were that one, once we had paid the bill, all the staff scarpered to the back of the restaurant and therefore on leaving there was nobody on hand to say farewell and two, there was an automatic service charge of 10%, which was not spotted by us on the menu. If a restaurant wants 10% more, why doesn't it just put the correct price on the menu against each item.

However, the above aside, it was an excellent meal.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Studorprice

“Chinese new year”
Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

I adore this place and it's very close to my heart. My mum, is from hong kong, me, growing up in a Chinese family, good food is everywhere in my house. So (I think) I know a thing or to. It blew my mind. Not as good as my mums, but so close, it's untrue. Don't like fish, tried the lobster, it felt like cream, it was that soft.

1 Thank Pr3nd1
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent Chinese food”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We were dubious about trying this restaurant, situated as it is amongst various chain food restaurants, but the little notice in the window mentioning it was an area winner in the Good Food Guide was sufficen tfor us to decide to 'give it a go'. So pleased we did. What wonderful food! We shared sizzling beef and an aubergine hot pot and both were utterly divine. Three weeks later I am still drooling at the memory of this fabulous meal. Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank YHtraveller
Milton Keynes
“Great pre theatre food”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Had an excellent pre theatre meal here. Lovelyl food and good fast service. Woud like to go back when I am not clock watching to have a more leisurely meal.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank ShoneyMiltonKeynes
Milton Keynes
“OK - but no more!”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

When two friends invited me to join them for an eating-out dinner, we chose the Taipan as we'd heard it had won an entry in the Good Food Guide, Maybe that rather inflated my expectations because, though the ambience was very pleasing and the service friendly and attentive, I can only describe the food I had (from one of the set menus) as OK - up to the standard of my local Chinese take-away, but no higher, and quite expensive for what it was.

Visited August 2012